• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Favourite film stars?

Mayfield

Burbury Brummie
As with the question, which is your favourite song (mostly impossible to answer). The question is what is your favourite film star - male and female?

After comprehensive deliberation and thought, mine has to be:

Male: Ronald Coleman (the voice is exquisite)

Female: Merle Oberon (sultry and sensual)

What is your?

keith

Thats a hard one Keith I'll sleep on it, admired so many:) Harder still when I'm a film buff

Anyone remember Susan Hayward? I thought she was great. Two films of hers that I have never forgotten were Back Street and I Want to Live which had fantastic jazz music by Gerry Mulligan and Shelly Mann - I still have the LP (must get something to play it on again one day!!)

Judy

Male
There is only one possible answer "The Duke" John Wayne, mind you I have to say I didn't agree with his politics.

Female
It would have to be "Norma Jean" Marilyn Munroe, (its a generation thing), anyway there is a time when little things like acting ability goes out of the window.

Phil

Film Stars popular when I was a young girl were Linda Darnell, Rita Hayworth, Jeannie Crain, Audry Hepburn all beautiful and glamorous. I also liked M Monroe in films with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon.

James Mason made some good films, particularly as Captain Nemo in 20000 leagues Under the Sea, and he was excellent in the WW2 film ROMMEL in which he played Rommel.

Then there was Kirk Douglas, Gregory Peck, Paul Newman and Steve Mcqueen.

I had lots of favourites.....

Anthea:)

Film Stars popular when I was a young girl were Linda Darnell, Rita Hayworth, Jeannie Crain, Audry Hepburn all beautiful and glamorous. I also liked M Monroe in films with Tony Curtis and Jack Lemmon.

James Mason made some good films, particularly as Captain Nemo in 20000 leagues Under the Sea, and he was excellent in the WW2 film ROMMEL in which he played Rommel.

Then there was Kirk Douglas, Gregory Peck, Paul Newman and Steve Mcqueen.

I had lots of favourites.....

Anthea - no cheating???? You can only pick one of each? You have mentioned some great actors and actresses - the choice could be difficult???

Of your chosen ensemble I would have to go for McQueen and Hepburn???

keith :)

keith

Keith, You are dead right! How did you know??? I have lots more I could have chosen - I think I still have some Film Star Annuals up in the loft - sorry, I'm off again......:rolleyes:

I've slept on it Keith and find it almost impossible, so I'll choose two English actors

Robert Donat for 'Goodby Mr Chips' 1939 a wonderful Love Story

Diana Dors for 'Yield To The Night' 1956 for sheer emotion of a person waiting to be Hung.

No special effects Just great acting

Last edited:
Regarding this topic, I will have to mention the only film star I know, that happens to live in the same town as myself. I doubt whether anyone has heard of him, but his name is JOHN MURTAUGH. Over the years he has done a lot of TV work up here, with the likes of Taggart etc, but he also appeared in Rob Roy, and Braveheart. Anyway, thats one for the film buffs to look up. Regards, Barry.

I've slept on it Keith and find it almost impossible, so I'll choose two English actors

Robert Donat for 'Goodby Mr Chips' 1939 a wonderful Love Story

Diana Dors for 'Yield To The Night' 1956 for sheer emotion of a person waiting to be Hung.

No special effects Just great acting

Goodbye Mr Chips is one of my favourite films - I can watch it time and time again.

keith

Like Alf, I find it impossible. I also love 'Goodbye Mr. Chips'. I know the last time I enjoyed watched it, I was snuggled up in bed, not feeling too well.

So difficult, but one of my favourite actresses was Katharine Hepburn, so good with Spencer Tracy, so good without. A hell of a character as well! I can recommend her biography, if you haven't read it already.

Actor, oh Keith I wished you had said top ten. Tim Robbins, for his part in The Shawshank Redemption, because along with Morgan Freeman, they made one of the best films ever.

Ann

I agree Ann B, Tim Robbins is a great actor, and The Shawshank Redemption was an excellent film.

Like Alf, I find it impossible. I also love 'Goodbye Mr. Chips'. I know the last time I enjoyed watched it, I was snuggled up in bed, not feeling too well.

So difficult, but one of my favourite actresses was Katharine Hepburn, so good with Spencer Tracy, so good without. A hell of a character as well! I can recommend her biography, if you haven't read it already.

Actor, oh Keith I wished you had said top ten. Tim Robbins, for his part in The Shawshank Redemption, because along with Morgan Freeman, they made one of the best films ever.

Ann

Interesting selection Ann - the great Katherine Hepburn most definately (I was watching 'On golden pond' the other day - fantastic). I agree about the Shawshank Redemption being an incredible film but Tim Robins as an all time favourite actor??? He needs to develop his acting portfolio further for me, whereas Morgan Freeman definately.

keith :)

Audry Hepburn is my favourite film star she was one class act all the way. .

I love Audrey Hepburn, in fact she is my 17 year old daughter favourite, she has got a box set of her films and only last week bought Breakfast at Tiffanys, I also love Steve Mcqueen.

Back