• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Favourite Family History Photograph

Lindyloo that's really very kind of you - thanks very much. Carol

You're more than welcome Carol, I expect you know that you can save the picture to your computer, I just don't know how it would come out if printed, I have yet to experiment with that

I love looking at all the old photos and I have many favorites in my own collection but they are not all from Birmingham, so I'm not sure if I can post them, does anyone know if I can please ??

I don't see any reason that they have to be taken in Birmingham. My photo was taken in Chesterfield, my aunt was born in Birmingham.

Michael - what a great photo of Nellie and Harry. I love the way they dressed children up for these portaits!

Judy

Sheer coincidence, because I don't think any of them read this forum, that the Secretary of our Gardening Club here in Crete has proposed that we all take a photograph of our younger selves on Sunday (the next meeting). The one whose photograph is least recognised by the membership is the winner. I think I will use the one of me in my pram at three months old - it's on here somewhere!

Maurice

Ha ha - the previous shirts were purple and striped, and my son wore mine to a bad taste party!

Maurice

These Are Definitely three of my most favourite photos my uncle doug and aunt grace ( twins ) My uncle fred my aunt aunt rose and my dad leonard emery it,s my belieif that these three photos were taken on the same day, probably on the occasion of their brother fred home on leaverose and leonard emery (1)+.jpgalfred frederick emery MM..jpgdoug and grace abt 1915+.....jpg abt 1915.

Nan Grandad Taylor.jpgThis is a photo of my wifes Grandparents taken on there wedding day 31st July 1915. Nan ran the Hippodrome cafe until the late 1950's. So smart, So handsome.

I have several 'favourite' family history photos, it is difficult for me to decide which is my most favourite but I have to say this one comes fairly near the top of the list. It is of my gt gt gt gt grandmother Ann Mitchell, nee West, who died in 1868/9. It is a Daguerrotype (spelling?) photograph on glass. Not found her birth yet in Somerset, but on her memorial card is is claimed she was 102. The death registration says 99, which is more like it, going on census returns. She was apparently known in the village of Long Sutton as 'Nanny Mitchell', so from that I assume she was perhaps the oldest resident. Her grandson came to live in Birmingham, her son and his wife went to Liverpool where they ran a temperance hotel. I suppose it's possible that this photo was taken after death, although she is holding something so perhaps not. The flowers have been coloured in at some point, but we don't know when or who.

This is the burial card of the lady in the photo above, something I treasure greatly, although the age at death is not actually correct.

I agre MWS, however, I have quite a few of ancestors who lived a long time, but I do have to say they all lived in the countryside. My 4 gt (I think might be 3) grandmother on another line outlived her granddaughter and died in 1867 at the age of 96. That was in Cheltenham, she had previously lived in the Gloucestershire countryside. My 2x gt grandmother on my father's paternal side was bonr in Chipping Campden and lived in Birmingham from 1841. She died in 1912 at the age of 99 and is buried at Handsworth Cemetery. I find it astonishing that they lived so long. There is no record, however, of how infirm they were.

Wow you've got some long life genes passed down to you, Shortie. My one great nan lived to be 92, I think she was my eldest ancestor.

Yes, I know I have MWS, one of the Mitchells is still alive (or he was last year) and he is 99 years old. I am not sure if this is a good thing or not really. I don't mind living a long time if I have both mental and physical well being, but if I am going to be suffering from dementia or physically in great pain and/or unable to walk, I will happing shuffle off a bit earlier than that. I have noticed that during the 1900's people seemed to live less long, and frankly, I blame the cigarette for a lot of it, but TB also played a big part, and sadly a lot of that came from milk. Your gt nan lived to 92 - that's a pretty decent age if you ask me, perhaps you will beat that??

Hi All.
This is my favourite in my collection it shows my father (top left) with his sister and four brothers but it is not very good quality.
They were all "hard cases" in their own way as their father was killed in WW1 and had to fend for their mother as well as each other.
I have to smile when I look at them and think "Peeky Blinders" eat your heart out.

Regards Acklam19.hewittfam2.jpg

Here are a couple of my old family photos. They are both taken in the back garden of my grandparents house in Algernon road. The first photo is of my parents wedding in 1957, my grandfather on the left was the stage manager at the Royal Theatre in New street Birmingham. I am not sure of the date of the 2nd photo but would have been earlier.
Carole001.jpgCarole010.jpg

7501be7c-4150-40f5-ab2c-02a736ac75a5[2].jpgwhat lovely photos
the photo i treasure is of my mom sitting on my nans lap with my aunt winnie by her side my mom must of been about two when the photo was taken so it would make it 92years old it is the only photo i have of mom when she was young
josie

We have one of my Dad circa 1924 aged about 3 months but not so coy, his is full frontal, LOL.

Last edited:
Back