• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Favorite film ever

...... and then there's "One Flew over the Cuckoo's Nest".
[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jReNeEHH2lQ"]YouTube- One flew over the cuckoo's nest[/ame]

Last edited:
Theres some lovely old and new films that have been mentioned that have great memories.But the film that has always stuck in my head (hardly a classic) maybe because i,m a bit of a sentimental romantic, it was Warren Beatties first film and he co-stared with Natalie Wood it was called SPLENDOUR IN THE GRASS.Dek;);)

i must agree with you db84124

one flew over the cuckoo`s nest was such a brilliant film

i had forgotten that one, wouldnt mind watching it again now

Many favourite films but overall it has to be Gone with the Wind and From Here to Eternity - loved all the Biblical films and musicals such as Calamity Jane with Doris Day.
Sheri

There is really no way I could choose a favourite Film having seen so many on this post which I like, so I'll keep reading and remembering:)

I never even metioned all the many musials I like:confused:

Thanks for the memories

No one has mentioned the Bogy and Hepburn masterpiece "The African Queen" its been on Virgin Cable recently and I never tire of watching again
and again. Two wonderful actors working as one Bernard

Sad to hear Omar Sharif has died. Star of such favourite films as Lawrence of Arabia, Dr Zhivago and Funny Girl.

Sad to hear Omar Sharif has died. Star of such favourite films as Lawrence of Arabia, Dr Zhivago and Funny Girl.

Very much so Devonjim. I'm a film collector and archivist for 50 years now and Omar Sharif WAS a star AND damn good actor. Not like the celebrities we get nowadays, or even then even. He will be much missed worldwide.

Richie.

for the panoramic views dances with wolves
for the good over evil el cid
for fantasy field of dreams
any and all films that can transport me to another time and place

Possibly my "Top of the Pops"would be "The Lady Killers"' primarily for the cast.
However, "Lawrence of Arabia"' which I saw in the Odeon, in CinemaScope, was fantastic.
When Omar rode out of the desert haze, after taking that impossible shot, I was hooked !

My favourite film ever would be "Genevieve". Released in 1953 it was a comedy about the veteran car rally between London and Brighton. The character played by John Gregson (Alan) owns the veteran car "Genevieve" and bets Kenneth More's character that he will get back to Westminster Bridge first from Brighton. If Kenneth More (Ambrose) wins in his car, then John Gregson will lose Genevieve. Needless to say, John Gregson just makes it. The main female characters were played by Dinah Sheridan and Kay Kendall. The theme music, from Larry Adler on his harmonica, was just as memorable. Dave.

I have always liked animation (cartoons) and my favourite was and still is Walt Disney's Fantasia, particularly the part where the 'Sorcerers Apprentice' music is played (a favourite piece of music of mine) in the background. I must be a late developer !!!!! Eric

My film is The Straight Story

A true story of Alvin Straight. Fearing he may not have long following a stroke he decides find and make peace with his estranged brother. His brother lives over 300 miles away and not having a drivers licence travels it on his only means of transport, his lawnmower. This is one story with lots of mini stories revolving around his experiences on the way. It is difficult to describe the film but it left an impression on me I have never forgotten. There is an innocence of this man that has long been lost by so many. His honesty, integrity and words spoken by this wise man from the heart is shaped by his life's experience.

Steve R

Hi All,

My favourite film is "Beau Geste" simply because it was the first A film I saw by getting into the cinema on my own. It was The Elite on Bordesley Green. I was 14 and should have been 16. Other films I remember enjoying tremendously are "Mutiny on the Bounty" The original with Chjarles Laughton as Captain Bligh and "All Quiet on the Western Front"

Old Boy

i have a few favourite films but the one that has always stayed with me has to be the vikings staring kirk douglas and tony curtis..i watched it when i was about 16...

I think I havent seen one of my favorite fims yet, the Railway Man - Colin Firth. I read the book last year and have the film ready to watch but keep putting it off. Book was excellent and know I will really enjoy the film as I have heard lots of comments. I am a bit worried I may be disappointed.

Up until recently my favourite film was "Journey to the centre of the earth",1959 version with James mason, but it is now "Turner", with Tim Stall. Paul

Back