• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

faulkner Bros Moseley

Tiny

master brummie
while sorting through the rubbish in our cellar I found a stone jar with the company name of Faulkener Brothers Runcorn road Moseley 1924 does anyone know anything about this brewery as I have never come across the name before.

Hi Tiny

I used to walk down this road regularly on my way to school and never even heard of a brewery let alone saw one. I suspect it closed a long time before I used to make my way down Runcorn Rd in the 50's.

Its entirely possible that it had something to do with the Victoria Inn the only pub in the road as a lot of pubs in those days brewed their own beer. I would have had to been at that end of the road (Moseley Rd end) because there was no industrial premises further down towards Ladypool Rd.

Phil

From the 1921 kellys
Faulkner Bros, botanical beer brewers, 34 Runcorn road,Balsall heath.
They were on the other side of the road to the Victoria (no 5).
In 1913 no34 is apparently a private house occupied by a Mrs Broom
Thye seem to have started sometime between 1913 . In 1915 it is Arthur Broome, botanical beer brewer, and by 1921 it is Faulkner Bros. They remain at that address till 1936, but by 1937 they have moved to 53 Waterloo Road, Kings heath, and changed the name to Arthur Alfred Faulkner Ltd, botanical beer brewers. A year later no 34 became The Supreme Oil Co Ltd. They remain at Waterloo road till sometime between 1950 and 1956., by which time they have disappeared. I think botanical brewers, though they used a fermentation process and thus the product would contain a small amount of alcohol, made drinks such as ginger beer, sarsaparilla, dandelion and burdock etc, when the fermentation is merely to produce the fizzyness.
mike

Thanks Mike. I know this might sounds strange but my mother who owned the jar as she collected them, used to brew Ginger beer in them she had quite a few but stopped using them after a couple exploded in the pantry she said that pop bottles were cheaper and easy to get. but this is not just where the story finishes, My great grandfather on my moms side owned a greengrocers shop in Waterloo Road Kings Heath his name was John Watson.
They also owned a house in Silver Street Kings Heath. My father came from Kings Road Kings Heath and his father owned a greengrocers shop at No 90 Pershore Road Kings Norton but was KIA in France 1918. Once more thanks for the information and you are right they were Botanical Brewersas it states on the Jar

That’s interesting Tiny. Your grandfather will be John Poole. I’m trying to put together a spreadsheet of all the inhabitants of Pershore road 1900 to 1921 (still ongoing) using electoral records, directories and the 1900 census (not the 1911 till it gets more reasonably priced). It started because of the large number of changes of name of street and number in that period., but has taken on a life of its own. It makes you think when you see the number of shops etc which change occupants between 1913 and 1921, presumably largely because of deaths in the war.
mike

Morning Mike my grandfather name was john Poole He built uo his buisness by going to Bham market on sat nights and buying veg just before they closed then walking back calling at all the Pubs selling them dad seems to think that the shop was near to the school where dockers second hand shop used to be but the exact location is not clear once again thanks and wish you luck in your quest. if there is anything I might be able to help with just ask only to happy to help. John

Tiny
I think I might be of some assistance in identifying the house. In 1921 it had become a fruiterer run by Frederick Richardson. I’m not sure if he lived in the place, but in 1920 the electoral roll showed Agnes Anne Poole as living there. In those years and afterwards, it was numbered as no 1737 Pershore road. If you go to google street view, , there are two houses where the numbers are visible, and that enables you to determine that no 1737 is now part of nos 1733-1737, occupied (when street view was photographed) by Sabre auto spares. I don’t know if that is the shop Dockers you mention, as I haven’t lived in brum for many years, but am certain it is that building. It is shown in red on the map below, close to the junction with Breedon Road
mike

no173725202520pershore2520road25202520c25201903.jpg

yes thats the one agness my nan married Billy Witts and moved to 35 Kings Rd kings Heath.
took a photo of the jug

Thats rather a nice flagon. don't think i like the idea of it exploding though. the fragments must have been rahter dangerous.
Mike

strange really my Nan (Doris) also lived on Silver St (81) for over 50 years and her maiden name was Faulkner!
Her parents I think lived on Balaclava Road, her mothers maiden name was Heritage.
It all makes life a little easier when tracking back, my surname.........you guessed it...Smith!!!!

Dear Tiny, I have been researching this Faulkner family tree for well over a year now. The Faulkner brothers were Harry and Arthur my great Uncles who first ran the business from Phillips Street in Aston.In the 1911 census return they list themselves as "Pop-trade carters" so maybe they delivered for Arthur Broome and later took over the business and called it Faulkners.As mike said they moved to Runcorn road in the early 1920's. My Aunt remembers living at no 34 Runcorn road but cannot remember details about the business as she was then a young girl. Much of the family later moved to Canada. I have sent my Auntie a copy of the jar photo, she will be gobsmacked as she is 90 this year. Thank You.
Lonk

you are welcome, I nearly missed your post as I am trying to wade through a history of LDV (Wolsey Motors as was ) which sad to say has gone the same as Rover at Longbridge. I am busy taking photoes and catloging them. but am glad you have put a litte bit more to the story of the flaggon. If I can help in any way with your research feel free to ask.
Regards Tiny

Have just come accross this cutting from 1980. I'm afraid i don't seem to have the earlier correspondence , but the date is on the cutting, so anyone interested could find it if they wished
Mike

faulkner_leaving.jpg

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone has one of the Faulkner Bros stone demijohns around that they would like to get rid of or sell?

My Dad believes that it may be something to do with his Grandad and would like to get hold of one.

Cheers

Yesterday I saw one of the jars for the first time ever in the window of The Grape Vaults , Broad Street, Leominster. It was Faulkener Bros (formerly A Broom) Runcorn Road B'ham Botanical Brewers etc and dated 1920.

Just wondering if anyone has one of the Faulkner Bros stone demijohns around that they would like to get rid of or sell?

My Dad believes that it may be something to do with his Grandad and would like to get hold of one.

Cheers[/QUOTE]

Back