• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fattorini, medal makers

Michael.....No sign of them in the Birmingham 1908 Kellys...! and cannot find them in the 1913's book either?

The earlest record I could find was 1923 telephone book....5, Hockley Street

Last edited:
I have a badge which belonged to my mother. She had it in 1968 when she went with my father to Austria with The Institute Of Metals. On the back it reads Fattorini and Sons Ltd, Bradford Works Birmingham. I will photograph it if anyone is interested.

Yes post them Moma they are all interesting. I've a couple of my Grandad's I'll sort and post them.One I know is the same as Michaels 5th Year Safety Award but he drove a Horse and Horse & Cart for them.

Hi,

My grandmother and mother used to enamel badges at home for Fattorini and Sons. The badges used to be wrapped up in newspaper by the gross and I used to go with my mother on the number 15 (or 16?) bus from Hamstead to fetch them. Mom used to enamel them and then fire them above the stove with a flame torch and bellows - Health and Safety or what...

I used to work at fattorini & sons when I left school in the 70's I wish I had kept a sample of every badge there. Im sure the collection would be worth a few bob now

I used to work at David Hollander,Electro plate manufacturers in Caroline Street,amongst our products were sporting trophies
and we bought our medalions to put on them from Fattorinis.

I used to work at David Hollander,Electro plate manufacturers in Caroline Street,amongst our products were sporting trophies
and we bought our medalions to put on them from Fattorinis.

And I used to work at W.J. Dingley (Toye Kenning and Spencer) in Warstone Lane. We made sporting trophies, as well as masonic regalia - but we manufactured our own medallions Alberta - so there! hahah.

Toye Kenning & Spencer Ltd are still trading in Bedworth. I used to sell them superfine quality coloured felt for embroidery. I have a vague memory that they used to make hardware articles, but I don't think they do now. There used to be quite a number of embroiderers in and around Brum - the machinery is really fascinating to watch.

Big Gee

TK&S are still trading in Warstone Lane as well. Most of the Warstone Lane stuff was medallions and sports trophies, while the Coventry branch did the embroidery, masonic regalia and college scarves etc.
The same member of the Toye family's running the Hockley side as he did when I was there in the late 50s.
Fattorini was always the main competitor for medals though, as I recall.

I think it was mentioned on the ITV awards tonight that the trophies came from Thomas Fattorini..did anyone else catch this??

Yes Wendy, the company is mentioned on many awards ceremonies.

I used to work for David Hollander and sons, Caroline Street in the 60s, amongst other things they made sporting trophies and we bought the badges to put on them from Fattorinis.

Last edited:
charlie what street was the hockley factory in as our mom worked there as a badge enameller..this would be in the 40s..mom pointed out the building to me years ago but i cant recall the location..think was off gt hampton row way...maybe barr st or hockley st ??

lyn

Thomas Fattorini & Sons Ltd Hockley.

Attachments

• Hockley Regent St  Thomas Fattorini.jpg
    Hockley Regent St Thomas Fattorini.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 35
found out where our mom worked..the building is the bradford works in barr st hockley but i dont have a number for it will take a look next time i am down that way..

lyn

My Grandfather was chief designer for Fattorinis. He started working for them in Bradford, then moved to Birmingham with them about 1927. He stayed there until he retired in 1952 when he was 80 & died 2 years later.
He designed & engraved the previous FA cup, the 1948 Olympic medals, the mayor of Bradford´s regalia made to replace a stolen set & all the Coronation medals from George 5th to the present Queen.
His name was Will Norman & he was born in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1872.

My Grandfather was chief designer for Fattorinis. He started working for them in Bradford, then moved to Birmingham with them about 1927. He stayed there until he retired in 1952 when he was 80 & died 2 years later.
He designed & engraved the previous FA cup, the 1948 Olympic medals, the mayor of Bradford´s regalia made to replace a stolen set & all the Coronation medals from George 5th to the present Queen.
His name was Will Norman & he was born in Newcastle upon Tyne in 1872.

thanks for that info senoraruz...i have now found out that my mom worked at fattorinis at the bradford works 36 barr st which also went round the corner into harford st...the building is still there..

lyn

I borrowed these images from the Jewellery Quarter Heritage Trail leaflet.

Fattorini_1.jpg Fattorini_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I see this pic has already been posted already but this is a batter pic than the other two I believe.
Is the second picture (Regent Street) the same building as the first picture but another part of it?

xFUObKC.jpg

images

I recently had a reply from the Fattorini company to an enquiry I made. Thomas Fattorini & Sons worked out of no 36 Barr St. as a separate company when the directors bought it from the parent company. Eventually closed and remaining business returned to the Regent St. Company. I think it was the corner building more recently a clothing company . I briefly worked at Barr St. around 1970. Among the products were school badges, Robertsons Golliwogs and very expensive Rolls Royce car badges. Inside the old building was quite Dickensian and some of the industrial practices horrendous. The company seemed to be decent employers though.

I recently had a reply from the Fattorini company to an enquiry I made. Thomas Fattorini & Sons worked out of no 36 Barr St. as a separate company when the directors bought it from the parent company. Eventually closed and remaining business returned to the Regent St. Company. I think it was the corner building more recently a clothing company . I briefly worked at Barr St. around 1970. Among the products were school badges, Robertsons Golliwogs and very expensive Rolls Royce car badges. Inside the old building was quite Dickensian and some of the industrial practices horrendous. The company seemed to be decent employers though.
I used to go to the Hockley factory back in the early 60’ s to as an apprentice service the lift. It was a fascinating place to wander through and see all the processes and as you say Dickensian conditions.

Actually there were 2 separate companies, Fattorini and sons in Barr Street and Thomas Fattorini in Regent Street. I worked at Fattorini & Sons in Barr Street from 1956 to around 1961

Back