• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Father Hudson's and Father Flint

Fairney View

knowlegable brummie
Father Flint was made into a Canon, being the Administrator of Father Hudson's Homes - from the letters that I have, he organised placements of babies born to unmarried women like my grandmother in Ladywood parish in the 1940's.
Also involved in the Child Migration Scheme to Commonwealth countries.
Such an important man in the Birmingham Catholic Diocese but I can't find any photos or biographies about him and his work in Coleshill.
Anybody who can flesh out my family story? Scroll down the pages to find the referenced letters
https://julie-mcneill.blogspot.com

Julie

Julie, loved reading your blog.
I worked at St Gerards for a while in the 90's and my aunts used to knit for the summer fetes there.
I will e-mail one of my friends from St Gerards who may know more about Canon Flint or at least someone to contact - if she has any info will send you a message via the forum.
Regards, Sue

Thankyou Sue.As its not fiction I want to best represent things in right context. When I am writing its preferable to have a photo or background material, and it seems strange that an important figure like Fr Flint isn't showing up on google!
Dwilly - Mum was was at Sisters of Nazareth Rednall, so would have gone to Church onsite? Is St Chads the city Church? Because mum was born a Catholic it was the last thing she wanted to put me through! But it is the Mother Church......

Hi Julie

I also enjoyed reading your blog and am surprised there isn't anything about him on google!

I have found a couple of newspaper articles. Although not much they may help with dates as to when he became a Canon. In the one article he is referred to as Revd W.D. Flint and I note from your letters in your blog he was a William Flint so I wondered if this was his death in 1984 Nuneaton, Warwickshire, born the 20 Dec 1904, William Dominic Flint. The nearest birth I could find, presuming he was born in England, was a William Dominic J Flint registered OND Stoke on Trent, Staffordshire but birth year is 1905.

Hope they help a little:)
Suzanne

Suzanne:Thankyou for your comment and effort: obviously Father Flint had a talent with book-keeping that they whisked him from Coventry to Coleshill which was a huge enterprise. What a pity he wasn't in the photo with the three priests...well I assume he wore the same dress as them! Also in your link it mentions the work of setting up hostels for war-workers from all over the UK(my Nan went to one in Monument Rd. Ladywood). She came from Fochabers, Scotland - and her future husband, a Polish refugee - for the next installment!

Obvious very Rev. Flint career took him to the power base of St.Chads as Canon. You would think there would be an impressive painting of him! Perhaps he was one of those who worked diligently behind the scenes....

Last edited:
Father Flint was made into a Canon, being the Administrator of Father Hudson's Homes - from the letters that I have, he organised placements of babies born to unmarried women like my grandmother in Ladywood parish in the 1940's.
Also involved in the Child Migration Scheme to Commonwealth countries.
Such an important man in the Birmingham Catholic Diocese but I can't find any photos or biographies about him and his work in Coleshill.
Anybody who can flesh out my family story? Scroll down the pages to find the referenced letters
https://julie-mcneill.blogspot.com

Julie

Canon Flint was involved in a few other Catholic committees, as well as Father Hudson’s, which were involved in Child Emigration. FH migrated 132 children to Australia from 1947-1956.

It is advisable to search for recent information.

Back