• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farms becoming Housing estates

Glennys Jean

master brummie
Not sure about where I should be with this, I'm interested in the fate of the following farms:

Kingstanding Farm (next to Royal Oak?), Perry Barr - Blakelands Farm & Booths Farm in Handsworth - Kettlehouse Farm - Park Farm.

I guess they were all bought up by the towns/Birmingham? for housing in the 1920's. Do the names of the new estates correspond to the farm names? Any suggestions pls where I can find further info as to when the farms were sold, sales amount, and who the proprietors were at that time?
Indirectly, I'm trying to find out how some of my farmer ascendants came into their money!

It's well worth a look through this littlle lot on the Kingstanding thread Glennys https://birminghamhistory.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5028&highlight=Kingstanding

Also the "perrybarr and beyond" site gives some info on the sales of farms which might help. Will look that link up for you.

This is something that interests me too, purely from a historical viewpoint and because I lived there for 18 years when I was growing up. Viv.

Hi glennis
i do not know about the farms in and around birmingham ;but i think it is sad that these farm lands are being sold off quite often
for housing estates it quite common here in worcestershire and its ashame that this is happening cutting up our green belts
here in honeybourne there are plenty of run down farm lands just going to waste barns are falling down left right and centre
in fact right across worcestershire my ancesterers farm is still going thou ;its now a big dairy farm ; but other smaller farms are
lying in a state of dispair ; plus the goverment are paying our farmers not to grow ;on there land and in time goes bye
the descents never had any living familys to trace with some of the world wars gone on
on the subject of your descents obtaining wealth ; well ; thats because they was left it from generation some relatives of the byegone ages ;like my family of descendant the onethatch cottage and small holding was left through generation to generation right from the early
generation of the 1800;s through to the 1955 era ;until the moderen age man namely my grand father whom was sefish and greedy
because he was the last member of his generation decided to sell the lot instead of keeping it for us his grand sons and his only child
his daughter with his name sold the lot and up sticks and left
it was really a small holding compared to some of the farmers aound some of the family grt grand fathers to him had 28 to thirty acres of land with shop they supplied brum with all provisions and sold the contents on the black market
like other small holding they would trade from there farm house to make money ie; the meat fruit and veg ;eggs alsorts of stuff
thats how they made there wealth it sure washard work for them and the price of land now especialy farm land is a forune ;
but as you knowthe goverment are land grabbing and cutting our great farming industreal to bits
why are we not paying our farmers to grow ;why are we inporting our products from abroad our gov; is paying big sums to our land owners for not growing it does not make sense but if you lok through your ancesters thats your answer ;best wishes astonian

hi glennys i sent you an email yesterday with an attachement....just wondering if you got it...it may have come through in your junk box...

lyn

Got your mail Lyn, am having problems with this site - if my answer takes too long, I have to "refresh" but lose what I was doing. Mad ! Will try again later.

hi glennys...glad you got my email...did you get the attachement i sent about the story of booths farm

lyn

Yes all mails and messages received from generous members. My thanks.
It took me 30 mins to read the Kingstanding thread!
PerryBarrBeyond site is a mine of info and it helped a lot to trace my Warwickshire side of the family history. Found another site yesterday about Perry Barr : https://billdargue.jimdo.com/placenames-gazetteer-a-to-y/places-p/perry/
which talks about the region.
But haven't yet understood how the farmers made so much money if they weren't the owners of the land. It must have depended on the site (soil) and having good years for agriculture and so they saved a little.

I brought this thread up as Arthur Foden who died in 1934 Great Barr Staffs, left effects worth £16,479. Enormous! Now how did he have so much if he hadn't sold up as he wasn't the owner of the land ...

hi glennys i have a feeling that foden road gt barr could have been named after your arthur foden..i have asked mikejee if he will check the electoral rolls to see if we can find out for sure...and if anyone else can help glennys to sort this one out that would be great

lyn

Not just in Birmingham Glennys, I would guess there must have been some financial gain in it too.
Here in Tamworth, I live on an old farm site, called Park Farm and the streets are named ofter parts of the farm, Barnbridge, Broadsmeath, Stonepit, Allens Mead and Greatmead and there is another farm turned into a housing estate which adjoins us, hanburys Farm.
Elsewhere in Tamworth are Burgess Farm and Perrycrofts and I am sure probably more than that.
Sue

Park Farm .... My story mentions Charles Foden, first on KettlehouseFarm, then Booths Farm 1880-1894, then on Park Farm 1894-1908 (death). Charles was on the Perry Barr district council so the road may be after him.

Back