• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farmers Bridge Lock 10

Morturn

Super Moderator
Staff member
_DSC1695-1.jpg Been meaning to grab this picture for some time now. It the canal between Newhall Street and Ludgate Hill bridges. Rumour has it that the developer of the tall building tried to build over the canala and effectively blocking It off. Apparently in the mid-sixties, the canal was rarely used, so the hope was no one would have noticed. Good job they did.

Can anyone else add to this?

They built columns over it like this.

This was in 2011 but I've walked on the towpath here many times since!

This is intriguing. And a glimpse of canal history captured - not lost. Anyone know the name of this canal section or position ? Viv.

This is intriguing. And a glimpse of canal history captured - not lost. Anyone know the name of this canal section or position ? Viv.
Thought it was section between Newhall Street and Ludgate Hill adjacent Water Street on Farmer's Bridge flight.

Last edited:
Thanks Speedy. For now I'll create a thread for Newhall Street Lock. If a more appropriate name is found, I can edit thread title.

I shall now move these posts to their own thread. Viv.

Some more views under the BT Tower from 2011.

The locks

I'm not sure what's over there.

Towards Ludgate Hill. Only access on this side is from Livery Street.

Under the bridge on Ludgate Hill.

Other side of the Ludgate Hill bridge. Livery Street is behind.

Took some new photos of the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal heading under Brindley House (BT Tower is to the right if heading from the start of the canal).

Starting at lock 7.

Almost exited here at Newhall Street, but it's been blocked off!

Under Brindley House.

Looking back to the BT Tower and Brindley House from the section between Ludgate Hill and Livery Street.

Thanks Ell for the update. Quite incredible what's hidden behind - and even under - buildings. Viv.

It's been blocked from the towpath side, not sure if it's block from the road side.

This was the steps you could use to exit to Newhall Street.

Seen in 2011.

The reason for the Newhall Street canal entrance being blocked off is that work has started to build new apartments on the Newhall Square site.

You either follow their instructions and go around to Fleet Street, or do what I did and go round to Water Street (off Ludgate Hill).

Near St Paul's Cottages.

Not sure when the building in the OP was built but Farmers Bridge flight was well used into the late 60's as T&S Elements had a base around the top of the flight until then. It wasnt unheard of for leaky boats to be moored on the offside part of the top lock pound to stop them sinking overnight/sundays as the offside had silted up.

Back