• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Street Hockley

Have not been entirely successful in determining the exact building that is no 115. however the map below gives the five possibilities in blue. Of coiurse in later years all five were covered by Lucas's

map_c_1902_showing_possible_positions_of_no_115_Farm_St.jpg

thank you for that mikejee sorry to be a pain but would you know where 315 would be in farm street 1881
josie

Josie
The 1880 directory gives the occupier as being Willaim Thompson, shopkeeper, but no-one is listed in the 1882 version. It is on the north side of the road just east of the junction with Burbury St. I am pretty sure that it is either the red or blue building on the map, probably the blue one

map_c_1902_showing_possible_positions_of_nos_315_Farm_StA.jpg

Hi does anyone remember Matilda and Thomas Reeves who lived in Farm Street in 1911, they were both 48 with children Thomas, Ernest, Charles and Elsie May. They were my mothers grandparents, Thomas jnr was known as Fred and was my grand father. Chrisy

Aston road north'aston
As it suggest, this road is the continuation of the older Aston road Birmingham
Which ran from the end of corporation street' by bagot streeet'one of the most notable residents of the Aston road north
Was farther Conan Doyle 'he practiced as a doctor between. 1878. ,1881 , at number. 63 before he became famous as the creator
Of. Sherlock Holmes'
His home lay between avenue road. And Holland. Road. And is. Indicated by a plaque put up by the Birmingham council
And in between these two roads he would have been postioned them and the big broom hard ware iron mongers shop which
Had a big giant hard broom above of the shop faciea wall which I recall going there when I was a little toddler and my dad pointed it
Out to me and look up best wishes astonian,,,,,,,,,

FARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 001.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 002.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 003.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 004.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 005.JPGwell folks i knew they had to be out there somewhere...farm st was such a long street but to date not many photos have been found...hope you all enjoy this batch of new ones..could you bear in mind that some may not be that good as its not easy taking photos of photos...enjoy...hope they bring back memories to some of you.

if you click on pics 3 times you should get a full screen size..dont be confused that the photos say farm st and frankfort st thats jus the name of the folder i have them under..they are all of farm st

Last edited:
FARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 006.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 007.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 009.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 010.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 011.JPGnext 5

i believe that photo 2 shows the entrance to harry lucas school via farm st..

FARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 025.JPGlast one although i do have a couple more that i will post later on as i could do with info on them..

lyn

Fantastic photos Lyn thank you for posting them. As you say there never seem to be many of Farm Street these are great.

Great photos Lyn .The last pic #204 was Farm St Day Nursery my sister worked there late 60s and i did 1970 it later became Gee St Day Nursery. The last but one pic i think you can just see The Birmingham House pub on the left of the pic and a little further along looks like Mrs Atkins shop on the right.

Fantastic pictures Lyn; you are right about the Harry Lucas entrance. (My generation of ex pupils prefer to call it Burbury Street School though).
Picture #202 4 shows Evans' newsagents on the far right; its where my Dandy, Beano and Eagle came from and later my Woodbines. It is on the south side, opposite Sid Lawley's green grocers.

glad you all like the pics....

michael our dad went to burbury st school as was....

lyn

Lyn - yes that is definitely the entrance to Harry Lucas SM School. I used to take my mom's washing/cleaning to the corner shop (Paragon Laundry). Great photographs Lyn. Mabz

hi lyn
what wonderful photos i cant remember how many time i have walked up and down that street with friends
they bring back lovely memories
and friends i once knew some no longer here thank you
josie

glad you liked them mabz...

you too josie..i was born in paddington st at our nans back to back moving at the age of 5 to villa st...nan was one of the last to move from paddington round about 68/9 so we still visited her up till then...the route was always the same..down villa st..cross nursery road..do a left at the white swan pub corner of villa st/farm st..stay on that side and walk down to guildford st where you did a left turn..past geach st and next was paddington..must have done that walk so many times...one thing has always stuck in my mind from very young...somewhere along farm st there lived an elderly lady who always seemed to be on the step when we went past her house...she couldnt talk and i felt so sorry for her even then as she struggled in her own fashion to try to say good morning to folk...strange how certain things just stick in ones mind..
in fact i have a photo of a young girl about 13 or 14 taken on the corner of guildford st outside the cafe...its up for debate that it is me..certainly could be but just cant be certain...
lyn

Last edited:
I also remember that lady Lyn when i was a child. I am sure my Mom used to call her Dolly. Somewhere opposite St Mathias School.

Back