• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farm Street Hockley

thumb_Gt_King_St_2.jpgBoys brigade parade outside Peoples Chapel, Great King St - Lucas's in background.

BB_Parade_2.jpgOutside the Chapel heading down Gt King St.

bri ive found our kids name twice...wonder if there maybe a pic of him somewhere..
must show him these attendance cards..thanks for the heads up bri...

lyn

Does anyone remember the people who lived in the building in the photo, in post 159 by Astoness. My Father in law and Mother in law lived on the middle and top floors after getting married in 1955 up until the early sixties, I am told the bottom floor was a doctors surgery, and you could exit via the backdoor, and go straight into the Pub. their surname is Spinks, and they are both 80 years old now.

Re: farm stret

Hello Ann,

Best put the years that you want George & Susan Benton searched for
and if you want other Census (1911) inc 1901 or Electoral Rolls///or both looked up ?
Cheers John Y

Last edited:
Hi Ann

Here are the 1901/11 census' for the family they were living in Farm Street by 1911

1901 census transcription details for: 93, Church Street, Aston Manor
RG number:RG13Piece:2881Folio Page:14
Reg. District:Aston Sub DistrictAston Manor Parish:Aston Manor
Enum. District:4 Ecclesiastical District:Lozells St Silas City/Municipal BoroughAddress: 93, Church Street, Aston Manor Warwickshire

Below are details of
Name
Relation
Condition
Sex
Occupation , Disability
Where Born

[TD]BENTON, George E
[TD]Head
[TD]Married
[TD] M
[TD]34
[TD]1867
[TD]Jewellers Pattern Maker
[TD]Bham, Warwickshire
[TD]BENTON, Susan J
[TD]Wife
[TD]Married
[TD] F
[TD]34
[TD]1867
[TD]Bham, Warwickshire
[TD]BENTON, Harold G
[TD]Son
[TD] M
[TD] 4
[TD]1897
[TD]Bham, Warwickshire
[TD]BENTON, Ida M
[TD]Daughter
[TD] F
[TD]3
[TD]1898
[TD]Bham, Warwickshire
[TD]BOUGHTON, Charlotte
[TD]Mother-In-Law
[TD]Widow
[TD] F
[TD]74
[TD]1827
[TD]Bham, Warwickshire

1911 census transcription details for: 2 Florence Place Farm Street Birmingham
RG14PN18059 RG78PN1096 RD384 SD2 ED27 SN46

Reg. District:BirminghamSub District:All Saints ParishBirmingham Enum. District:27
Address:2 Florence Place Farm Street Birmingham
Warwickshire

Below are details of
Name
Relation
Condition/
Yrs married
Sex
Occupation
Where Born

[TD]BENTON, George Edward
[TD]Head
[TD]Married
[TD] M
[TD]44
[TD]1867
[TD]General Agent
[TD]Birmingham Warwick
[TD]BENTON, Susan Jane
[TD]Wife
[TD]Married
[TD] F
[TD]44
[TD]1867
[TD]Pearl Button Carder
[TD]Birmingham Warwick
[TD]BENTON, Harold George
[TD]Son
[TD] M
[TD]14
[TD]1897
[TD]Ring Maker
[TD]Birmingham Warwick
[TD]BENTON, Ida Mary
[TD]Daughter
[TD] F
[TD]13
[TD]1898
[TD]School
[TD]Birmingham Warwick
[TD]BENTON, Alfred Richard
[TD]Son
[TD] M
[TD]8
[TD]1903
[TD]School
[TD]Aston Warwick
[TD]BENTON, Winifred May
[TD]Daughter
[TD] F
[TD]8
[TD]1903
[TD]School
[TD]Aston Warwick

Their son Harold George Benton is on the absent voters electoral roll 1918/19 at 2 court 62 Farm Street, 437106, Cpl., 2/2 S.M.F.A. (South Midlands Field Ambulance) R.A.M.C. (Royal Army Medical Corps)

Hope this helps
bewdley

There are the following deaths recorded on freebmd
Deaths Jun 1954
Fanny DAVIS aged 77 Birmingham 9c 287
Deaths Sep 1956
Fanny DAVIS aged 80 Birmingham 9c 111
Deaths Jun 1962
Fanny E DAVIS aged 61 Birmingham 9c 291
Deaths Mar 1963
Fanny E DAVIS aged 85 BIRMINGHAM 9C 463

Smashing picture Lyn. Can,t recall seeing it before. I remember the shop.... and it looks like The Birmingham Arms is still standing on the corner of Summer Lane.

Great photo Lyn. The two dogs waiting patiently outside, are maybe hoping for a little offcut of bacon? You used to often see dogs like that without leads hanging around outside shops that sold bacon, sausage etc , but not now. Viv.

thanks viv and topsy..topsy yes you are right the birmingham arms is still standing...i read somewhere that out of all the pubs on the lane that one was the roughest of the lot lol...viv i was only thinking the other day that we no longer see dogs roaming the streets and quite rightly but it was all part of our life back in the day...

lyn

Re: Cowper Street Infants School

hi mikijee
may i ask for your help again have you got a old map of farm street i am looking for 115 farm street 1881/1900.
if my memory is right was farm street a long street
josie

Re: Cowper Street Infants School

hi mikijee
may i ask for your help again have you got a old map of farm street i am looking for 115 farm street 1881/1900.
if my memory is right was farm street a long street
josie

quite right josie...farm st ran from the bottom of hunters road right along to summer lane...hopefully mike will be able to post you a map showing no 115

lyn

lyn

It was on the south side close to the junction with Gt King St, but am trying to work out which side of the junction it was , and which building

Have not been entirely successful in determining the exact building that is no 115. however the map below gives the five possibilities in blue. Of coiurse in later years all five were covered by Lucas's

map_c_1902_showing_possible_positions_of_no_115_Farm_St.jpg

thank you for that mikejee sorry to be a pain but would you know where 315 would be in farm street 1881
josie

Josie
The 1880 directory gives the occupier as being Willaim Thompson, shopkeeper, but no-one is listed in the 1882 version. It is on the north side of the road just east of the junction with Burbury St. I am pretty sure that it is either the red or blue building on the map, probably the blue one

map_c_1902_showing_possible_positions_of_nos_315_Farm_StA.jpg

Hi does anyone remember Matilda and Thomas Reeves who lived in Farm Street in 1911, they were both 48 with children Thomas, Ernest, Charles and Elsie May. They were my mothers grandparents, Thomas jnr was known as Fred and was my grand father. Chrisy

Aston road north'aston
As it suggest, this road is the continuation of the older Aston road Birmingham
Which ran from the end of corporation street' by bagot streeet'one of the most notable residents of the Aston road north
Was farther Conan Doyle 'he practiced as a doctor between. 1878. ,1881 , at number. 63 before he became famous as the creator
Of. Sherlock Holmes'
His home lay between avenue road. And Holland. Road. And is. Indicated by a plaque put up by the Birmingham council
And in between these two roads he would have been postioned them and the big broom hard ware iron mongers shop which
Had a big giant hard broom above of the shop faciea wall which I recall going there when I was a little toddler and my dad pointed it
Out to me and look up best wishes astonian,,,,,,,,,

FARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 001.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 002.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 003.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 004.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 005.JPGwell folks i knew they had to be out there somewhere...farm st was such a long street but to date not many photos have been found...hope you all enjoy this batch of new ones..could you bear in mind that some may not be that good as its not easy taking photos of photos...enjoy...hope they bring back memories to some of you.

if you click on pics 3 times you should get a full screen size..dont be confused that the photos say farm st and frankfort st thats jus the name of the folder i have them under..they are all of farm st

Last edited:
FARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 006.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 007.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 009.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 010.JPGFARM ST AND FRANKFORT ST 011.JPGnext 5

i believe that photo 2 shows the entrance to harry lucas school via farm st..

Back