• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farm Street Hockley

#227 The road going away from Farm St is Well St. Lucas Personnel dept.is the lower block and my uncle used to work in the part with the curved roof.

#226 On the far left (down Farm St) you can just see Evans newsagent. The empty space where the cars are parked is the site of St Matthias church, closed in 1948 and subsequently demolished. To the right of that area is St Matthias infant and junior school. (Both my parents went there in the first decade of the nineteen hundreds and childhood friends in the nineteen forties). The street on the right is Wheeler St heading towards town.#227 the same car park, site of the church looking across to Well St running up the side of Lucas's
All as shown in Mikejee's map

Hi, my mothers mom and dad came out of Farm St, just off Hockley Brook, their name was Barnes, I think it was quite a large family, I would like to hear off any relatives that may still be around. Regards Eddyjay.

Hi, my mothers mom and dad came out of Farm St, just off Hockley Brook, their name was Barnes, I think it was quite a large family, I would like to hear off any relatives that may still be around. Regards Eddyjay.

hi eddyjayauk there are lots of photos on the original farm st thread...

all the best

lyn

Hi eddy
If you look on face book you will find the Barnes are on there my old Dutchess knows one or two of the Barnes girls
When they was growing up my old dutchess speaks to one of them on face book I will speak to my old dfutchess and see what she says
In the morning in fact I think Mayo.d dear weren't to one of there marriages as well come to think of it
Will come back to you as as I can,best wishes Astonian,,,,,

My late Mom was born at 343 Farm Street, Hockley. Which used to be her Grand parents "Ezekiel and Charlotte Clarke's" fish and chip shop.
Her Father Albert Ezekiel Clarke was born in the same bedroom in 1907. Albert Ezekiel Clarke went on to own "Wilton Coaches" on Wilton Street Lozells.

Does anyone have any photographs now or then of 343 Farm Street, Doing family tree so would like to see where my Mom came from. Thank you.

Here is where no 343 was in case anyone has a photo. no 343 in red

map_c_1903_showing_no_345_Farm_St.jpg

Thank you very much Mikejee for the street map. Would be interesting to find out more about 343 Farm Street or the "Clarke" family that owned the fish and chip shop. My Great Grand-parents.

Just noticed Hunter's Vale on there too. That is where some of my family lived the "Hands" family. 27 Hunter's vale.

hi jdn5764 have you seen the farm st thread?? as there are many photos of farm st on it..i recently aquired new photos of farm st and have posted them on this thread.....if you go to post 201 my new photos start there but for now here is one which shows no 343 if you click on it twice it will enlarge...as you can see the corner shop is no 338..farm st went up in ones so counting from the corner shop i make it that no 338 is next to the barbers shop which the window cleaning is cleaning his barrow is parked outside no 343...hope this is of help here is the link to the farm st thread...mike if you spot this could you just double check please to make sure no 343 is where i think it is..

Thread now merged with main Farm st thread

lyn

Attachments

• FARM ST showing no 343.JPG
    FARM ST showing no 343.JPG
    265.8 KB · Views: 69
Last edited by a moderator:
You probably know this, but the electoral rolls (some only of which are online) show Ezekiel Clarke there in 1912 (women did not have the vote so were not included)& Ezekiel & Charlotte Clarke there 1920- 1930 (though on the rolls it is listed as Clark for 1922-1930) Also listed in 1930 were Albert, Marion & Charlotte (the younger). The next online listing is 1935, when they have left.

Hi

I've only just discovered my grandfather was born in 10 Park Terrace, Farm Street in Hockley (always though it was New John Street West where he was born) in 1908.

Would anybody know where abouts on Farm Street that Park Terrace was located? I've searched various maps, pictures and forums but no success

regards

Dan

hi dan if you go to the farm st thread and go to post 202 onwards I recently posted some new photos of farm st...one of them shows a terrace but i dont know if it is park terrace...hopefully someone can help you with a map showing where it was...click on link below...hope this is of help

lyn

Last edited by a moderator:
Cannot find where Park Terrace in Farm St was . The only reference i can find is a Thomas Berry who died in WW1 , and whose address was in Park terrace.Farm st

Hi, Astoness and Mikejee many thanks for your help, but still no luck, think I might try Bham library
regards
Dan

You probably know this, but the electoral rolls (some only of which are online) show Ezekiel Clarke there in 1912 (women did not have the vote so were not included)& Ezekiel & Charlotte Clarke there 1920- 1930 (though on the rolls it is listed as Clark for 1922-1930) Also listed in 1930 were Albert, Marion & Charlotte (the younger). The next online listing is 1935, when they have left.

I was born and lived in ventnor road from 1941 until about 1961 we where the mills family from no 53

hi folks took an amble down the old end yesterday and as far as i can see these are the only original old buildings left standing in farm st which ran from hunters road to summer lane..

first friends hall and the building next to it which is no 322...luckily the gate was not locked so i could get some good shots...i can only assume that this building belongs to friends hall as although empty for many years has not been demolished...just inside the entrance it says GOD on the wall so a good clue..i also think that the small square brick built bit was added on at a later date...managed to get the camera through the iron bars of the added on bit...does not look to me as though there was a front door opening onto the street..i used to go to friends hall for activities when i attended farm st school..

pic 4 just past the window cleaner on the left small dark van going past you can see the old building cant see friends hall as it lies back.. next to that is part of the joseph lucas factory..

Attachments

• FARM ST 20.2.2016 006.JPG
    FARM ST 20.2.2016 006.JPG
    563.1 KB · Views: 73
  • FARM ST 20.2.2016 003.JPG
    FARM ST 20.2.2016 003.JPG
    507.9 KB · Views: 71
  • FARM ST 20.2.2016 005.JPG
    FARM ST 20.2.2016 005.JPG
    576 KB · Views: 70
  • FARM ST 20.2.2016 007.JPG
    FARM ST 20.2.2016 007.JPG
    552.1 KB · Views: 77
  • FARM ST FRANKFORT ST 005.jpg
    FARM ST FRANKFORT ST 005.jpg
    179.9 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
a little further up on the corner of farm st and villa st we have this building which was the hockley provident dispensary set up to help the needy...also a photo taken in the 60s so it has not changed much..part of the bulding has been used as a dentists ...i can remember going there as a teenager..

Attachments

• FARM ST 20.2.2016 012.JPG
    FARM ST 20.2.2016 012.JPG
    484.2 KB · Views: 56
  • hockley proviident dispensary.jpg
    hockley proviident dispensary.jpg
    204.7 KB · Views: 53
Last edited:
then just a bit up this one..

Attachments

• FARM ST 20.2.2016 013.JPG
    FARM ST 20.2.2016 013.JPG
    535.7 KB · Views: 39
finally we have the queens head pub on the corner of hunters vale and farm st the building you see to the left is H SAMUELS in hunters road..

Attachments

• FARM ST 20.2.2016 015.JPG
    FARM ST 20.2.2016 015.JPG
    491 KB · Views: 55
Great photos Lyn. See you still can't resist an open gate! You've captured some interesting buildings and the part they've played in the local community. Viv.

thanks viv if its not locked up i am in there lol...i am not finished yet with the building next to friends hall... going to go back down there soon and see if i can speak to someone about it..i think going on a sunday worship day would be best...

i also want to take photos of what is left of hockley hill...that is my next mission..

Last edited:
Envy you being able to take your camera to Farm St. but this is the next best thing, excellent pix, thanks a bunch. best regards alandpol

thanks alan i aim to capture as much as i can from the old while it is still there...are you from around there??

all the best

lyn

Back