• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farm Street Hockley

carolina

master brummie
Carolina

Found the following in the Baptism record for All Saints Hockley if you are interested/.

Dec 31 1899 - baptism of Arthur Henry Hudson, born 8/12/1899 son of Arthur William and Rosa Hudson - of 19 Lodge Road. Occupation Butcher.
Lily-Mae - Yes I remember his shop on The Flat and Mrs Hudson had a little shop there also. Their son John went to All Saints School

chrisy3

master brummie
I had direct family also Hudson who lived in heaton street. Not some across a farm street connection yet. 1898-1920 ish. Also Barr street where my grandmother lived with her family.
I had Smiths at 145 Farm Street about 1926, my uncle Howard Reeves remember visiting his grandmother there when he was very small.

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
Apologies if this photograph is already on the forum (I have searched the Farm St thread and could not find it) but I think it is worth posting:

Villa Street - Farm Street Hockley Birmingham - The White Swan 1964

The White Swan_Villa Street - Farm Street Hockley 1964.jpg

Astoness

TRUE BRUMMIE MODERATOR
Staff member
hi BB very good chance i posted this one on the villa st thread but no matter as it needed to be on this thread anyway and it is better to have them twice than not all all so thanks...ps the bucket and ladders you see in the photo are most likely our dads and again most likely he was inside the white swan having a pint :D

lyn

Barr_Beacon

The Prodigal Brummie
hi BB very good chance i posted this one on the villa st thread but no matter as it needed to be on this thread anyway and it is better to have them twice than not all all so thanks...ps the bucket and ladders you see in the photo are most likely our dads and again most likely he was inside the white swan having a pint :D

lyn
Crikey Lyn, I didn't notice the ladders on the right!

trevor bow

knowlegable brummie
Apologies if this photograph is already on the forum (I have searched the Farm St thread and could not find it) but I think it is worth posting:

Villa Street - Farm Street Hockley Birmingham - The White Swan 1964

View attachment 138496
I've never seen this photo of the White Swan before. It was the local of my uncle, Stan Wheeler, who live almost opposite in Farm St (5/56 up an entry). Does anyone remember a small grocery shop, again almost opposite in Farm St, run by two ladies known as the 'Grindrods' ?

m j kelly

I've never seen this photo of the White Swan before. It was the local of my uncle, Stan Wheeler, who live almost opposite in Farm St (5/56 up an entry). Does anyone remember a small grocery shop, again almost opposite in Farm St, run by two ladies known as the 'Grindrods' ?
hi my wife Pauline greening used to live at no 55 and remembers playing with two lads named wheeler one of which was called tuppence her house was next to grind rods shop

trevor bow

knowlegable brummie
hi my wife Pauline greening used to live at no 55 and remembers playing with two lads named wheeler one of which was called tuppence her house was next to grind rods shop
Hi m j,
That's quite incredible. The two lads you refer to are Raymond and Graham Wheeler - my cousins ! Graham was nicknamed "tuppence" although I can't remember why. Ray was exactly the same age as me give a month, and Graham was the same age as my younger brother Derek, who was two years younger than me.
We lived just around the corner in Bridge St West next to St Saviours Church and we played together all the time, sometimes having sleep overs at each others houses.
When I was 8, our family moved to Northfield but both our families used to meet up as often as possible. Raymond and Graham and their parents Stan and Elsie stayed in the area and moved into a new tower block called I think 'Rea Tower'. All the old houses were demolished around 1964/65 and eventually everyone was rehoused in other new tower blocks and houses.
Sadly, Graham - tuppence - died a few years ago at the age of about 65. He is survived by his wife and two grown up daughters.