• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Farm Street Hockley

I think its a bit far from Farm St, and does not lead towards it, but there could be a connection. Lozells lane had houses lining the are marked from before 1848, so presumably the Farm disappeared awhile before that

Lyn

I didn't know you was looking for a photo of the Queens Head.

Attachments

• Hockley Queens Head Farm St.JPG
    Hockley Queens Head Farm St.JPG
    118.9 KB · Views: 46
thanks phil but i was not looking for a photo of the queens...i have a couple of old ones but not the one you posted...

cheers

lyn

this is a real shot in the dark... my grandad was born and raised on Farm st - but im talking pre war. i think his mom and for a while sister lived there much longer. his mom may have stayed there until she moved to thornton house flat. family name cooper. granddad was henry known as harry. brother bill sister Elsie. think elsie might have had a shop local?? granddad married just before war and moved away.. i know they lived in a back to back with shared outside toilet (stories ...) as i say shot in the dark as so so long ago....

You would be surprised how much the fantastic people on this site, find out about Birmingham's history and its inhabitants.

Good luck with your search...

I assume this is the correct family. The online electoral rolls do not list every year, so we cannot be exact with dates of occupancy, but from 1920-1962 william James & Elizabeth cooper are listed as at 218 Farm St. In 1930 William Richard & Elsie Beatrice Cooper are also there. In 1935 (but not 1939) Henry Cooper is there. The position of no 218 is in red on the map below. I can fin dno Elsie cooper listed having a shop in 1936,1939 or 1946, but it might not have been in that name

Attachments

• map c 1950 showing 218 Farm St.jpg
    map c 1950 showing 218 Farm St.jpg
    473 KB · Views: 34
In 1940 a Mrs Elsie Beatrice Larner is listed at 214 as a shopkeeper. There is a marriage in 1932 between Elsie B Cooper and Charles P Larner.

Janice

thanks a lot - thats my grandads lot!! i wish this had been around 10 years back - he lived till 96 years young!!

wow - thats my moms aunty elsie . she lived with my great gran in thornton house newtown for years, well when i was a kid. thanks.

wow - thats my moms aunty elsie . she lived with my great gran in thornton house newtown for years, well when i was a kid. thanks.

gosh how lucky is that i have been waiting for someone to identify anyone in the photos..could you tell us which photo shows aunty elsie..

Last edited:
# 188 ......from the angle this is taken - it must be right outside my great grandmothers house 218,where my grandad was born 100 years ago.

Not exactly a closeup, and I am not quite sure exactly which is 218, but below is photo of the row your house is in from the corner of Summer Lane. I have pinpointed the approximate position of 218 with a red arrow.

Attachments

• FARM ST  showing approx. position of no 218.jpg
    FARM ST showing approx. position of no 218.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 131
That's a great photo! Brings back many memories...It looks like it's taken from Ormond St, does anyone remember the blacksmith shop on Ormond St?

Dave A

dave have you seem the photos of farm st i posted in 2014..they start on post 201 and include the one you are talking about and yes i agree it would have been taken from ormond st...

lyn

dave have you seem the photos of farm st i posted in 2014..they start on post 201 and include the one you are talking about and yes i agree it would have been taken from ormond st...

lyn

Yes great Lyn! many more memories abound. I'm still curious as to whether anyone remembers the blacksmith shop on Ormond St. We would be entertained for hours watching the horse shoes being made and the smithy telling us stories.

Dave A

dave how wonderful to have memories such as that...looking at my trusty street map ormond st was not very big hence the lack of photos in fact i dont think i have one at all..hopefully someone may come along who remembers the blacksmith and i will of course keep my eyes open for an photos..

lyn

Not really ormond st, but junction of ormond st with newtown row, st stephens st ahead

Attachments

• corner of ormond st with newtown row and st stephens st ahead.jpg
    corner of ormond st with newtown row and st stephens st ahead.jpg
    303.6 KB · Views: 65
Not really ormond st, but junction of ormond st with newtown row, st stephens st ahead

Better than nothing Mike. The blacksmith shop was on the right of the picture. Of course, diagonally opposed would have been St Stephens Church where I went to cubs...

Thanks for digging this up, no pun intended...

Dave A

hi dave there should be a couple of shots of st stephens somewhere on the forum...i had a few rellies who married there.

lyn

I remember another blacksmiths nearby. In Newtown Row, directly opposite the Aston Hip was a butchers; that bit was probably called High Street. Down the side of the butchers was an opening leading to the blacksmiths, behind the butchers. While my mom was in the queue at the butchers, I would go down to the blacksmiths and watch them shoe horses.

hi mike isnt it strange but i never really thought about the old end having blacksmiths but of course they must have needed them in the days of the horse..

thanks mike and yes that bit would have been the high st

lyn

Yes, my brother worked delivering bread (Hardings?). in the laet forties he had a horse driven bread cart and at the Guildford Street end of Geach Street there was a large building where a local milk delivery firm stored their horse carts

Just came across this reply sorry for delay in thanking you. Still interested in finding out more about the Clarke family. My Grandfather Albert Ezekiel Clarke married Ethel Winifred Allcock. Some of the Allcock's lived 27/29 Hunter's Vale. My Mom Hazel Clarke's last address was 22 Don Street. Would love to find out more.

here is a cracking early photo of no 244 farm st the shop on the right is no 243..the entry leads to court 57 which you can clearly see down the entry and just look at the wear in the door step of no 245..chuffed to find this one folks

lyn

farm st.jpg

Last edited:
Back