• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

farina

J

jjw

does anybody have any information on the farina family who came from italy in late 1890s and settled in bartholomew st,deritend [known as the italian quarter] my great nan,angelina owned a lodging house at 40,bartholomew st. her husband was antonio,their children were,marcus,luigi,albert,louis,and annie. my father was anthony wassall,his mother was annie [nee farina] any help most welcome. thank you

angelina farina

There is a small article in the book Bella Brum regarding angelina.
If you want me to email it to you let me know :wink:

:D Are you related to 'Dave Brick' :?: He is a member of the Forum and he told that his last name is 'Wassall, so maybe he could help.

Chris :)

Hi there my friends father came from the Italian quarter,he was an ice cream maker,his family is Porcella i will ask him if he knows of your ancestors :angel:

Do you know about the Anglo-Italian Family History Society?
https://www.anglo-italianfhs.org.uk/

The society's transcriptions include some references for FARINI and FARINO but not FARINA. However, it's not at all unusual for the spelling of Italian names to be corrupted, sometimes almost beyond recognition.

Lots of helpful members

And try the Anglo-Italian mailing list, details here:
https://lists.rootsweb.com/index/other/Ethnic-Italian/ANGLO-ITALIAN.html

This website will show where the name occurs in Italy today, enter farina in the Cognome box:
https://www.gens.labo.net/

Good luck

Colin

Went to school with a Richard farina, he live in tile cross then and his father was in the police force, I have a feeling that he retired early and started up his own business. Richard worked at H Samuels the jewellers after leaving school. Hope this helps

Julie,
I would imagine that Richard's father was the John Farina who I worked with for a number of years. Known as "Fangio" Not many Farinas in the Force in the 1960's or even now I expect. :police:

If your interest centres on this section of the family then you would do no harm in wriiting to the personnel department of the WMP enclosing an unsealed letter & SAE to John Farina with a covering one, outlining your wish to make contact and requesting they forward it onto him. They will not divulge anything about him but would be prepared to forward a letter they knew was not controversial. Good luck

Will.

i REMEMBER rICHARD fARINA FROM SCHOOL ..tILE cROSS JUNIORS AND sIR wILFS.....SO WHO ARE YOU THEN ..BET I REMEMBER U ALSO.

I lived next door to The Farina family semi-detached 101 Richard younger than myself.Family moved circ 1980s
Went to school with a Richard farina, he live in tile cross then and his father was in the police force, I have a feeling that he retired early and started up his own business. Richard worked at H Samuels the jewellers after leaving school. Hope this helps

I lived next door to The Farina family semi-detached 101

Back