• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Farewell Debenhams

ade

master brummie
Farewell to Debenhams in the bullring today, after 243 years of high street trading another retail giant falls

They keep saying the name will live on as it has been bought by an online company.
That doesn't have the atmosphere or create the memories that a shop does. You can't wander round online and see what is there - no "ooh that looks good I will buy one" - no spur of the moment buys. I do buy online but know what I want go to the site, buy it and log off.

The Debenhams in Bournemouth, formerly Bobby's Department Store way back in the 1930s, is six storeys and always had difficulties attracting customers to the upper floors. I can see that being demolished as it is an old & not pretty building. The end of an era, friends, and I can see massive changes over the next ten years.

Maurice :cool:

They keep saying the name will live on as it has been bought by an online company.
That doesn't have the atmosphere or create the memories that a shop does. You can't wander round online and see what is there - no "ooh that looks good I will buy one" - no spur of the moment buys. I do buy online but know what I want go to the site, buy it and log off.
You've described that perfectly Janice, where can you get the atmosphere of Christmas, Easter and many other special occasions close to your heart by logging in and logging off, on an online store, it's all changing and not for the better

The Debenhams in Bournemouth, formerly Bobby's Department Store way back in the 1930s, is six storeys and always had difficulties attracting customers to the upper floors. I can see that being demolished as it is an old & not pretty building. The end of an era, friends, and I can see massive changes over the next ten years.

Maurice.
Don't know whether it was a prescience that made you make that post, but look at https://www.business-live.co.uk/ret...debenhams-replaced-bobbys-department-20568962

Mike,

Amazing and thanks for that news. Looks like the restaurant will remain on the top floor, but the roof will have changed to allow tables and chair outside. I just hope that they ensure that no one can jump - it's a long way down. The beauty section was always on the ground floor, but let out to the counters of various cosmetics companies. But glad that the town is not going to lose it as the only other large store, Beales, is now converted to expensive departments. That CGI could almost be a photograph taken 50 years ago. Cheers.

Back