• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Fare dodgers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ray Griffiths

master brummie
I watch with interest the other night the programme highlighting passengers not paying Transport fares.
I wonder what would happen if we had the red honesty boxes which was located on the platform of Birmingham trams.
The boxes was located for passengers alighting the tram to put the fares which hadn’t been able to be collected by the Conductor
I say bring back Conductors (caddies)

I watch with interest the other night the programme highlighting passengers not paying Transport fares.
I wonder what would happen if we had the red honesty boxes which was located on the platform of Birmingham trams.
The boxes was located for passengers alighting the tram to put the fares which hadn’t been able to be collected by the Conductor
I say bring back Conductors (caddies)
no doubt it would get robbed.....bring back the conducter...1591509154723.png

During my 5 years bus driving after I took early retirement the most annoying passenger is the fare dodger. As in the TV programme the simplest way to catch the younger ones out was to ask their date of birth, any that had to stop and think were almost certainly older then they said they were.

During my 5 years bus driving after I took early retirement the most annoying passenger is the fare dodger. As in the TV programme the simplest way to catch the younger ones out was to ask their date of birth, any that had to stop and think were almost certainly older then they said they were.
der! now when was i born?......... at one time harpers transport, cannock ,like BR. would give you a note if you had no dosh,to pay.and you could pay next day or send it. there was no need to fare dodge. ........are they gamblers?

I think it was hard enough years ago. Now we have contactless travel (at least in London). All those jobs lost to technology!

Sometimes the railway companies make it very easy to dodge paying fares. Very often we get on the train at New Street and the barriers are open with nobody on duty. As there is never anyone at Chester Road to check tickets you could easily get away with not paying. Same when we go to Lichfield - we can go as far as Blake Street but have to pay £4+ each to travel the extra two stops. We always pay at Lichfield as it means going up the stairs at CR to the ticket office, down again, under the bridge and then up the slope for the train, as there is no option to pay for a part fare on this side of the line. Sometimes there is nobody in the ticket office at Lichfield and we have to sort it out when we get back. Trying to explain that we want a return ticket FROM Blake Street but we're going back to CR now can be confusing for the poor bloke in the ticket office.

Unfortunately it's not the same now as it was when we were young, we were dragged up to always act with respect for other people.
Today it is much too dangerous to have conductors or guards on public transport. Its very sad but it is the truth. :worried: .thanks to the PC brigade.
As the ancient saying goes " if you want peace, prepare for war "

Wales Will Keep Guards On The Train Says Government

Unfortunately it's not the same now as it was when we were young, we were dragged up to always act with respect for other people.
Today it is much too dangerous to have conductors or guards on public transport. Its very sad but it is the truth. :worried: .thanks to the PC brigade.
As the ancient saying goes " if you want peace, prepare for war "
the stations here have no ticket machines.and no way to pay..you get on the rattler and pay the guard.we trust you.:grinning:
Wales Will Keep Guards On The Train Says Government

One day we were going into the city and 'the heavy mob' got on the train. They found one or two people travelling without tickets but I don't know how they dealt with them. Some people moved up the train and got off at the next station before they were checked.

I sometimes get on the train at Solihull (where it is easy to get on with no ticket) to Moor St station. I ALWAYS buy a ticket.

But if it is a busy time at Moor Street station the electronic barriers are often open and anyone can walk through without a ticket.

Often trains in from Solihull to Moor St don't stop at Tyseley and other stops (Small Heath etc).

I remember once when the barriers were closed at Moor St station the lady in front of me did not have a ticket so told the official on the barrier she had got on the train at Tyseley.

I knew the train had not even stopped at Tyseley and was tempted to say something, but decided I did not want an argument with the lady so said nothing. Even today I still wish I had said something.

However I bet a high percentage of people on that line to Moor St / Snow Hill travel without a ticket, I would put it as high as 10% - but have no proof to back that up.

If everyone who traveled on the train paid for a ticket prices would not need to be so high.

This article thinks between 3% and 5% travel without a ticket or the wrong ticket.

Last edited:
These Rail Companys are idiots.They complain about fare dodgers but do not help themselves by employing some station staff to sell them.The money the dodgers get away with would pay their wages.But then they think we will have to pay them a Pension

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back