• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Famous people with a Birmingham Connection (how many do you know)?

Phil

Gone, but not forgotten.
Having received requests for another picture quiz I though I would give this a try. I won't claim all those in the photographs are Brummies, but if not born in the Midlands they have strong connections. I have made them pretty easy so I won't let it run for long. I think Saturday night will be ample. I won't give any answers until then.

Attachments

• 02 - Copy.jpg
    02 - Copy.jpg
    337.4 KB · Views: 285
Hi Phil,I am struggling with this one so I will get the ball rolling with these.
1/ David Hughes
6/ Anne Heywood
7/ Janice Nicholls
8/ Raymond (Teezy Weezy)
9/ Susan Maughan

Last edited:
Hey Mossy that's good going. I knew Janice very well as a child because moms brother married Janice's mother's sister if you get the drift. No blood relative to me but my cousins cousin. Will see if I can get the other?. Jean. PS. Thanks Phil.

Hi Phil,I am struggling with this one so I will get the ball rolling with these.
1/ David Hughes
6/ Anne Heywood
7/ Janice Nicholls
8/ Raymond (Teezy Weezy)
9/ Susan Maughan

I remember how I used to think Susan Maughan was the most beautiful woman on the planet .
When my dad worked at Jensen Motors, Susan came to collect her new Interceptor. Despite my infatuation I still think I'd have preferred the car !

Not very good with this one!
Agree with mossg on;

6. Anne Heywood (think she used to live near my father's family in Erdington)
7. Janice Nicholls
8. Raymond 'Teezy Weezy'
9. Susan Maughan

No idea about the others!

Not very good with this one!

Anne Heywood (think she used to live near my father's family in Erdington)

She lived at 197 Bleak Hill Road during the war, which was just round the corner from the Golden Cross and almost opposite the enterance to Witton Lakes. My parents and grandparents lived just up the road in Short Heath Rd. I believe her real name was Violet Pretty

She lived at 197 Bleak Hill Road during the war, which was just round the corner from the Golden Cross and almost opposite the enterance to Witton Lakes. My parents and grandparents lived just up the road in Short Heath Rd. I believe her real name was Violet Pretty

Ah yes, I remember my father saying what her real name was!

I think No.4 might be Washington Irving. Although American he spent a lot of time in Birmingham.

So far you have managed 5 correct answers out of the 10. All of these people have been mentioned on the forum on numerous occasions. As we only have until tomorrow night I will give a few clues, we have 1 local Lord, 1 Architect & Designer, 1 sculptor, 1 Fire chief and 1 city planner. It's easy peasy now.

Talking about Violet Pretty (Anne Heywood), I know someone who once dated her (another member of this forums father) when she was usherette at a local a local cinema. The story goes he dropped her because she was so ugly.

I thought all these were pretty easy, just shows how wrong one can be. I'll be giving the answers sometime after 9 p.m. tonight so if anybody wants to have a quick stab at it nows the time.

Hi Phil,I am at a loss but is #3 Raymond Mason the sculptor of the FORWARD statue that stood in Centenary square?

mossg

I will tell you this No 3 was the sculptor, not the one that you mention, but he was very prolific in Birmingham. You can look almost anywhere in Birmingham and see his work, its not all in squares and art galleries.

jennyann, no answers until tonight, but shall I say that six are correct now.

Back