• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Famous catch phrases.

All of these from Claude Jeremiah Greengrass in Heartbeat:

"You've more chance of knitting fog"
"You must think I came up the river on a biscuit"
" And pigs might......"
"Can a duck....."
"You don't half take chances"
"Come into my office"

So many sayings from one character...

Simon

"Does a one legged duck swim in circles"? A nice Welsh guy whose name i can`t remember.:-{
"There seems to be something wrong with our ships today" Some Admiral guy commenting on the bashing the German navy were giving us.

A couple from Leslie Phillips, 'Ding Dong' i think from the Doctor series and 'Left hand down a bit'
from The Navy Lark.

Incredibly Phillips is now 93 and recently got married again, Ding Dong indeed!!!

"Life with the Lyons", a radio show in the 1950s, always started off with "I'm Richard Lyon, I'm Barbara Lyon, I'm Ben Lyon---and I'm Bebe Daniels Lyon". One of Barbara Lyon's catchphrases was: "I'll die--I'll just die". Dave

Last edited:
Played the Henry Hall "Here's to the Next Time" clip above. It's certainly very cheerful and sets your feet tapping. Thanks Radiorails. Dave.

A list of Catch Phrases,how far do we go? What a to do Sid Fields, Can you hear me mother,Sandy Powell,I only asked Bernard Bresland,swinging, dodgy Norman....blast can't remember....but he thought up the telly series " Bullseye "

A list of Catch Phrases,how far do we go? What a to do Sid Fields, Can you hear me mother,Sandy Powell,I only asked Bernard Bresland,swinging, dodgy Norman....blast can't remember....but he thought up the telly series " Bullseye "
Andrew Wood thought up Bullseye.

Listen carefully,I shall say this only once.
It is I,Le clerce ( not sure of spelling)
From Allo,Allo.
Someone beat me to you stupid woman.lol

All these sayings brought back so many memories. Will be using them in the Lunch club we attend, bringing back memories for them too.
From this came the memory of "Down in the jungle, living in a tent ........." Can't remember which programme it was on but loved them.
Wish I could find some now.

Back