• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Family War History WW2

GEFF

Geff
The recent anniversary ofV.E. day 70 years ago jogged my memory in regard to the service my family gaveto the war effort from Sept. 1939 to November 1947. My parents had 6 children and we were allinvolved totally. The age range betweenthe eldest and the youngest was 12 years. Little did we know that on Thursday 31st August 1939 we sat down to ourevening meal as a family for the last time. Never to be repeated.
Geff. I was evacuatedto Evesham 1st Sept 39.
Leonard. Went into the "RoyalWarwicks" in October 39 then to France and the B.E.F. came home viaDunkirk, a short rest in Britain, transferred to the "Yorks andLancs" and then to India and Burmauntil the end of the Far East war.
George. Went into the "RoyalArtillery" December 39. Served onthe big guns in Dover until November 42, then took part in the invasion ofNorth Africa in "Operation Torch" followed on to Sicily, Italy, and finally to Austria.
Joan. Joined theA.T.S. Womans Army at Droitwich January1941 and remained there until demob in 1945.
Victor. Servedin the "Home Guard" until July 1942 when he joined the "RoyalNavy" He served on the Russian and the Atlantic convoys on a PolishDestroyer as a Coder along with 9 other British sailors for Liaison between thetwo Navies. On October 8th 1943 the shipwas torpedoed by a German U.Boat on theway back From Nova Scotia Canada. There were 43 survivors , Victor was notamongst them. He was 20 years old andhis total service was 16 months.
Geff again. Ijoined the "Home Guard" at 16 and served until called up in 44 to thearmy. Saw service in the "Royal Engineers" in the latter part of the Europeancampaign until the end of the war in Europe Then did 2 years in Palestine. Demobbed November 47.
Nora. Was directed tothe "Fort Dunlop" factory and remained there for the next 40 years.

I did not see BrotherGeorge for 5 years and Len for 6 years, I was a lad when they went away and asoldier when they came home. We never goton together , we were strangers to eachother. They did not talk about theirtime in the army it was never mentioned. They are all gone now so it has got to be my turn next. A day never goes by without me thinking ofVictor, we grew up together, we were mates. How our parents felt I will never know . None of us volunteered, we were all the perfect age group for fighting awar. Would this have happened inAmerica, putting 4 sons at risk? Ref. the film " Saving PrivateRyan." It is history now and we have other threats toconcern us. GEFF

Sorry about the joined up words, I did type it correctly on "Word" it must have happened when I copied and pasted it to BHF WW.2 Link
GEFF

A poignant story Geff, all in your family certainly did their duty as was expected in those times, but at a very great cost.

Geff,

I, too, was evacuated to Evesham on 1 Sept 1939. It seems that you probably also attended Waverley Grammar School. You are apparently about 12 months older than myself so we probably did not know each other.

Chris Beresford (Old Boy)

Sorry OLD Boy I did not go to Waverley Road School. My place of learning was Alston Road. B.G.E. GEFF

Back