• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

family tree template

daisy1111

proper brummie kid
hello,

I was wondering if anyone knew of a good family tree template. i have tried a few which do not meet my needs and i am currently using word and microsoft publisher which is becoming extremely difficult as my family tree grows.

Thank you for your help

Hi daisy

There are lots of free tree applications online these days, just Google for "free family tree software" plus there are many sites that let you use their tree prog's for free such as GR, Ancestry etc etc

bren

PC world are selling family tree maker ( £60.00 ) for £29.99 this includes 6 months membership of Ancestry. I have used Legasy for some years but having tried Family tree maker I like it better.

I have to agree with mike, i have used FTM for years now and think it is very good, i might pop into PC World as mine is the 2005 version, get myself a Christmas present ;)

bren

Hi mike- g I posted the offer some 4/5 weeks ago and loaded it with my current account details (2010 platinum)but didn't load my credit card details as I had purchased it from Pc World at the moment after several phone and email both my ANCESTRY .C AND MY FAMILY TREE MAKER end in June 2010 two of the answers that i received was if I used the same password and user name the free 6mths would be added to my account But it hasn't happened other contacts with want my bank details on Family Tree Maker as that is the Way there system is set up but if I wait till nearly end of it running out I can then register for my free 6MTHS cheers using my bank details so I will have watch out because I will have 2 accounts with them Tom
icon7.gif

My Ancestry had run out about a month before this was bought. I registered the details and was back in.

I have to agree with mike, i have used FTM for years now and think it is very good, i might pop into PC World as mine is the 2005 version, get myself a Christmas present ;)

bren

Hi Bren
I have just bought the latest Family Tree Maker, tried it, but I have gone back to FTM 2005. It's a different format entirely, and i prefered the old one. But thats only my opinion, you may prefer it. Only problem is that after xmas I am upgrading to windows 2007 and FTM 2005 might not work, in which case I will have to use the new one.

Terry

I have the Roots Magic programme which does everything that most other FH programmes do from family group sheets, source listings, family tree printouts and you can use it to write your own family history book.

There is a free Roots Magic Essentials download for anyone that wants to try it out.

https://www.rootsmagic.com/Essentials/

Louisa

Hi Bren
I have just bought the latest Family Tree Maker, tried it, but I have gone back to FTM 2005. It's a different format entirely, and i prefered the old one. But thats only my opinion, you may prefer it. Only problem is that after xmas I am upgrading to windows 2007 and FTM 2005 might not work, in which case I will have to use the new one.

Terry

I must admit i have always been very comfortable with the 2005 and not lacking anything for my needs, does the new one have any redeeming qualities ??

bren

I must admit i have always been very comfortable with the 2005 and not lacking anything for my needs, does the new one have any redeeming qualities ??

bren

To be honest, I don't suppose I really gave it much of a chance so I really should'nt criticise. I just did'nt feel comfortable with it. When I upgrade to windows 2007 I think I may have to install it then. By the way I only paid £19.99 for it and that included 3 months to Ancestry (and what a long winded process that was signing up, and I've never used it anyway)

Terry

P.S It had everything (I think) that 2005 had but in different places and I got fed up trying to find things. I thought 200 5 had the better format by far.

Last edited:
Have to agree with Mike F ..legacy is great for free..but I love Tribal pages also free and looks good ..password protected..and so easy to fill in...no need for gedcoms

I had been looking for a decent BMD site as FreeBMD is still incomplete, but reading the posts I wondered about getting FTM for the free 6 moth subsrcition to Ancestry if bought through Amazon. My question is how good are the Ancestry 1900s records for BMDs? My census research is probably almost complete so is not an issue.

Back