• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Online family tree makers

ADELE

master brummie
Hi
anyone recomend a good family tree maker, i have been doing the family tree on ancestry but if i stop the subscription i wont be able to get to my records. So im after a family tree maker that i would be able to put the tree on and well i dont really know what else you can do on them.
All recommendations much welcomed.
Adele:)

If you stop your sub. to Ancestry you will still have access to your tree but cannot use the research part.

Didnt realise that, would still like to put the info safe. Im spending hours at the library researching records, dont mind sharing most of it but bits i want kept a bit more private.
Adele

Are you talking about a tree on the internet or a program on your computer? if the latter I use The Master Genealogist and love it. Having said that it has lots of features I don't use. It is really a matter of personal preference as to what you use.

This site has reviews of their so called top 10 programs. I would suggest having a look there then when you have narrowed the field down search for the web site of the program, download a trial version and have a play.

That way you will hopefully find something that suits you.

Take your time. If down the track you decide you prefer something else it can be a real pain moving data across. Many programs claim to be able to export and import data from other programs but in my experience they all corrupt some fields when you do this and there is a lot of manual checking that needs to be done.

Doug

Last edited:
I have used legacy free version and also have my tree on Ancestry ..but i find one of the easiest and nicest free programmes is tribal pages
if you click my link at the bottom you will see my tree ..it really is easy to use

We've used Family Tree Maker but an old version. Quite pleased and are thinking of upgrading to the 2010 Essentials version

We've used Family Tree Maker but an old version. Quite pleased and are thinking of upgrading to the 2010 Essentials version
I have this version, bought it because it had 6mths free Ancestry membership with it. I like it better than Legacy now i am getting used to it

I bought it as well, tried it out for a few days, but I could'nt just quite get used to it. I perhaps should have persevered a bit more, but I went back to FTM 2005.To be honest I only bought FTM2010 because I knew I was having windows 7 installed and I thought FTM 2005 might not work. But I need'nt have worried, it works perfectly.

Terry

Hello and thankyou to everyone who has replied.
I wanted a programe thats on my computer not the internet, i dont mind moving all the bits, although it may take a while. I will look at the sites recomended by all and maybee purchase the family tree maker when my subscription with Ancestry is up.
Adele

I have just started using family tree maker - version 4 - it is the first time I have used a family tree programme so I am not that good with it yet :rolleyes: one thing I am stuck with is: when you are creating a chart is it possible to include the occupation heading on some family members but not others.

I think having occupations showing makes it more interesting however I have got some people on the chart that died in childhood and so I don't want the heading of occupation appearing under their name.
Also some people have emigrated and so I would like to show that heading under their names but not on everyones.

I have found out how to add or remove headings to be included for the whole chart but not individual people.

I hope you understand this:rolleyes:

Thanks, Polly :)

Back