• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Family Tree Maker 2011 - Multi Page Reports Question

Blacksmith

master brummie
I had Family Tree Maker 2011 for Christmas and am trying to come to terms with it. I've transferred all my data onto it with no trouble. In fact, it was extremely easy.

My question concerns the prining of multi-page reports. The single page reports are great, but those that go over several pages have bits missing at the points where the pages are supposed to join up.

Does anybody have a solution to this please?

Blacksmith I am ashamed to say I had one last year and have not started to use it yet. Would love to be able to help though. Jean.

Now I can use a computer but know nothing much about how they work and what to do if there is a problem, but this seems to me like your page set up may have not got the correct margins for the printer. Just a shot in the dark, but that is what I would do, set the page with larger margins and see if that works.

Shortie

Thanks, Shortie. I've tried to find print parameters in the program, but there's nothing, apart from quality of print and whether to print landscape or portrait. The printer works perfectly on all my other programs, including those where I have narrow margins set. It's just Family Tree Maker where where seems to be a problem. I guess I'll just have to keep experimenting but it doesn't half use a lot of paper just to find it's not right. Oh, well.

As I said Blacksmith, it was a long shot, but you might just find you need to alter them just for that programme. Very frustrating, I can imagine, apart from the cost of the paper - can you not re-use the paper, using the blank side to save on the cost?

I've managed to find a solution. I posted the question on the Ancestry.co.uk forum and got the following reply.

Create your multi page report

Then instead of directly printing it, go to Share and export the MPR as a "one page PDF"

Then print from the PDF

Up to reasonable limits, PDF doesn't get the jaggies and of course with PDF you have great page control over a printer, and with very large reports the ability to save on a memory stick and then go to a printing service with big printers.

This is ok for reducing the report to fit on one page, but I found that if I wanted the multi pages then instead of exporting as 'One page PDF' I needed to just export it as PDF.

I hope this is useful to other people who may have experienced the same problem.

Back