• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Family Photos

B

BernardR

Hope I have not duplicated posts here?

Here is one from my late MiL's family. The Emery's of 127, Bordesley Park Road, Small Heath, Birmingham.

6378554047_1e2dc685e3_z.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Family photos from the 1950's. Of some interest in the neighbour's gardens, is the use of old wartime Anderson shelters to make sheds. The first photo shows my Dad attempting a 'trick photo' which was difficult then because they had to send the film away to be developed and when it came back they found it wasn't quite right ! The second photo shows my poor attempt at digital alteration - I haven't the patience or software...
Several model aircraft Dad made often got lost in Sutton Park woods - no radio control !
The fourth photo fills the space and our dog Whiskey is in it - lovely friendly dog but he always went berserk when the Coalman came with bags of coal.

A trick 1950's photo but not quite right - they did not know until the photos came back from developers.
Photo1.jpg

My poor attempt at digital alteration - no patience no software !
I've just noticed the grass on the top lawn is about 4" long ?
Photo2.jpg

Big model - the shed in neighbour's garden needed two Anderson shelters
That model did not get lost in Sutton Park.
Photo3.jpg

Whiskey our dog having fun - The Anderson 'shed' behind, sheltered me one night as the Luftwaffe flew around overhead, but then the shelter was half underground.
Photo4.jpg

Last edited:
Great photo's so of the time all those sheds where the men would hide..lol

I have been sent a photo of the man my aunt went away with many years ago. They both lived in Aston from my research and finished up in Bournmouth. I remember the family wispers but never thought I would be able to identify him. He owned a hotel in Bournmouth but sadly died young in his 40's. I have made contact with his great gandaughter on Ancestry who sent me the photo. I then looked at a couple I had and realised it was him. I noticed he has a mole on his forehead. What an amazing find. The gt granddaughter knew of my aunt from papers her mother had. No one will be hurt by this as that generation have all gone now.

View attachment 82007Ernest_Morris_edit.jpg

I guess we all have them don't we, photographs of folks we don't know but were known to our parents.

Yes true Neville although I went through most of our photo's with my mother before she passed away so thankfully I know who most are. She didn't know the man in the photo below because she never met him.

Just came across this photo of my late Father in Law with his sister and brothers. The photo was taken at 50 Albert Road, Kings Heath and I have one taken in roughly the same spot when they were in their twenties. The lad standing on the right is a cousin Fred Bacchus?

My Father in Law is the one seated between those at the front and standing at rear. The pensive look on his face is just how I recall him looking.

The_Pagett_Boys_and_Sister_Plus_1.jpg

To meet Michael's request I have had to scan the original that is rather large.

Pagett_Boys_Now_Men.jpg

Wal Pagett (my Father in Law) rear left against wall. Stan is left front. Bill in Middle behind their sister.

Lovely photos Bernard, and it's s good that you can name the people on them. I've inherited some which have no identification and it's a shame....I wish I had listened more when Mom was telling me about them!
I like the way people made an effort to look nice for photos them, it was usually a special occasion, your relatives look very smart indeed!!
rosie.

Lovely photos Bernard, and it's s good that you can name the people on them. I've inherited some which have no identification and it's a shame....I wish I had listened more when Mom was telling me about them!
I like the way people made an effort to look nice for photos them, it was usually a special occasion, your relatives look very smart indeed!!
rosie.
I can name them all Rosie but not necessarily in correct order unfortunately; though will add a couple names as I can be certain as to whom they are. The latest was when they were early 20's and I did not know the family until say 24(?) years later. My in Laws were only engaged for 12 years she wanted to be sure.

This is apicture of my grandma Harris with 5 of her brood of 7.The eldist was at work, the other died from the flue the troops bought back after the first world war
along with my grandad. The picture is from 1920. My dad is back row left and the lad back row right is a young Fred Harris who went on to captain the Blues.

Attachments

• Scan0001.jpg
    Scan0001.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 19
Hope you don't mind Ken but I have had a tweak. Someone more able may be able to do better as there is a lot of detail there.

Caggyken.jpg

Hi Bernard

Just just taken a look at your family thread of paggets of kings heath nice looking picture
for the albun i hope you do not mind me asking did any of your relies lived in george street west way back in the fifties
do you know as i think one of them i last seen was around the kings heath high street many years back
it was around by the picture house and the shopping parade that was there it could have been one of your senior
sibblings kids they could have been visting there parents or grand parents
once again i hope you did not mind me asking best wishes Astonian; alan;

My understanding Alan is that the family came from Gt Witley way to Birmingham so I do not believe there was a connection with George Street West. However I married into the family and know little about their background. There is no-one left now to ask as the last who may have known dies last year.

Back