• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Family photos

K

Kandor

Hmmm...It looks like I have a load of catching up to do..

When my Aunt Eva was alive I used to sit with her every week and talk about the olden days..
Near her end, Aunt Eva knew she was dying and said to me 'Les, anything you see in the house is yours to take'
One thing I never did with Aunt Eva was patronize her..I loved her too much for that..she knew the end was near and so did I..so it was no good saying 'Dont talk like that etc'..we played it straight did me and Aunt Ev.
I asked her for the one thing I valued above all the rest,
You could keep your Colour TV's, Video players and furniture etc..
I asked her for her photographs..
Aunt Eva died 4 weeks later and I went up to her house in Grove Lane to help clear it.
I was hurt...deeply hurt actually, to find my sister in law had taken out all the photographs of my family that meant anything to me..
The ensuing arguement nearly drove me away from my brother.
I let it go eventually rather than let photographs come between the love I have for my kid brother Peter.
I was left with a load of photos of total strangers and a few views of Handsworth and Alfred St, Aston,
There are a few duplications..
These I want to pass on to who wants them..
I have a few pics of Grove Lane showing what looks like fields just up from the Park..probably taken in the late 60's.
I have some of Alfred St..these were taken in about '63
I have a couple of 'Doctors notes' the one I'll keep, the other is for whoever wants it.
It was signed in 1959 by no other than Dr O'Keefe.
I have some old rent books from 1960..
There isn't a vast amount, probably only about 10 items but let me know ok?
By the way..it's good to be back..

Welcome back Kandor, you have been missed, I had a feeling you wouldn't stay away too long, nostalgia and all that.

Photo's

:D I know how you feel about your family photo's Kandy.

A family member has our's. I've asked for copies over the years none have arrived. They mean nothing to this family. I have been told that they will just be dumped when he. :(

:)

When I flew the nest I left a lot of stuff behind including photos. It's only in recent months that a few are filtering back to me. My record collection also appeared to disappear. Many years ago I was listening to some classics at at my sister's house. Go Now by the Moody Blues was playing. "I used to have this," I said.
"Yeah, strange, isn't it," she said, "Mel [her daughter] picked this up in Bearwood Market."
Even stranger: it had my name on the label. :shock:

Back to topic: Les, I don't think we're on our own in holding family photos in such esteem, I recall seeing a TV progam where people were asked what they would grab first in the event of a fire or flood. After vulnerable members of the family came the photographs.

Back