• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

1920 -1948/49 Gertrude Lomas/ Walter Rawlins

starbank2

proper brummie kid
Looking for relations regarding Walter Rawlins and partner Gertrude Lomax.

The couple were not married yet gave birth to my Dad / Uncle /Aunt...

The Rawlins Dynasty ran greengrocers around Birmingham 1901 onwards sadly the family fragmented......

I am a Rawlins and one of Walters many grandchildren if anyone can help please get in touch.....

Are you looking for living relatives or ancestry help?

Walter's father (Walter) and grandfather (William) both greengrocers? And great grandfather (Joseph) a victualler?

Hi Thanks MWS, we are up to scratch regarding ancestry.
I must say Lomax should be LOMAS my mistake!
Walter Rawlins my grandfather died 1947 his partner my grandmother Gertrude Lomas died 1949 both buried at Yardley Cem.
I was hoping that if any of your posters (possible) bloodline family may have knowledge from both surnames.
We have one photo of Walter but none of Gertrude..

No probs, I was looking at the wrong Walter anyway, I was looking at his son I think. Lomax confused me. Gertrude, was she the wife of Arthur Henry Lomas ?

A shame about the photo, hopefully one will come to light.

Yes I believe she was, Walter Jnr was from my grandfathers first wife Mary Ann Flint and is my fathers step brother.

Thanks again.

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Henry Lomas married Gertrude Tomlinson in 1901
1911 census
2/141 Cooksey avenue
Henry Lomas age 41 Galvaniser
Girtie age 32
Girtie age 8
Henry age 6
William age 3

In 1939 Henry Lomas a Galvaniser b 1869 is in Upper Trinity Street with son William b 1908 and daughter Lilly b 1918
his status is widower.

Thanks Alberta.

Should this be Cooksey Road ?
Girtie 8 was my Dads step sister
Billy Lomas was mentioned in the day and was my Dads half brother...

Much appreciated x

To Alberta

Interesting to see this info you posted

In 1939 Henry Lomas a Galvaniser b 1869 is in Upper Trinity Street with son William b 1908 and daughter Lilly b 1918
his status is widower.

Henry's ex wife (Gertrude) gave birth to children by Walter Rawlins - Phyllis in 1916 (My Aunt) 1920 Norman (Dad) & Albert (Uncle) twins yet she died in 1949 ??

Confused

Henry Lomas was the Arthur Henry I mentioned previously. Obviously on the 1939 registration his status as a widower is a fib. Gertrude still being alive.

Arthur Henry died in 1947 possibly a little too late for your grandparents to then marry.

Last edited:
A bit more confusion.
In 1939 Mole Street, Birmingham, the twins Norman and Albert are living with a widow
Hilda May Williams age 32.

She was born Hilda May Rawlins in 1907.
In 1911 she is with her family at 1 Denbigh street, Bordesley Green, her father was Walter john Rawlins, age 38 born Walsall a billiard table maker,his wife Emily age 37,
children Walter Gilbert age 13, Hilda May age 7 and Frank Congreve Rawlins age 10 months.
They must fit in with your Rawlins but I have yet to find the connection, although Phyllis E Rawlins,your aunt, married a Thomas H Williams in 1936.

I think you have the wrong Hilda M Rawlins.

Hilda May Rawlins at Denbigh St in 1911 was born 1903.

The Hilda living in Mole St appears to be Hilda Mary Rawlins b1907 Kings Heath, Norman and Albert's half sister (d of Walter and his first wife Mary Ann).

Hi , thanks , my mistake, I have deleted the 1911 census entry but there is still a Williams/Rawlins connection to find.
There are 2 marriages for Hilda M Rawlins to a Williams and i am not sure which one is correct.

Hi all thanks again.
MWS is correct Hilda Mary Williams was my Dad's half sister, she had 3 children Margaret, Cyril and Albert. She died in the early 70's.
Phyllis E was my Dads/Uncle true sister, coincidently she also married a Williams who was a fireman.

Apart from Hilda May (1903) and Hilda Mary (1907) there's also a Hilda Mary (1894) and a Hilda Mary (1899).

But it seems that Hilda Mary (b1907) married Albert Williams, both appear to be at the Mole St address on the 1935 electoral roll.

On 1939 register Hilda is listed as a widow and there is a death for an Albert Williams (b1903) listed for 1935 Bham which seems likely. There are other Albert Williams deaths but they were much older than Hilda not that that rules them out totally.

If Albert b 1903 died 1935 was Hildas husband it would make the connection.
Albert Williams b 1903 son of Albert Williams and Fanny Rebecca Neal married 1898.
Thomas H Williams b Sept qtr 1911 mother Neal.

• Appreciate
Still looking for Birmingham - Sparkbrook Lomas Family from 1919 - 1949, we need to find our grandmother and her family tree today......

Gertrude is listed at 239 Highgate Road on the 1922 and 1935 electoral rolls with Walter, she is listed as Rawlin. So I suspect she was there between those dates and possibly afterwards.

Are you looking for info on her Lomas children or her parents (Tomlinson)?

Thanks MWS.
The Rawlins / Lomas connection are a real conundrum for us ?

Once the old man died in 47 we think that Gertrude Snr (our Grandmother) then moved to live with my Aunt Hilda/Rawlins-Williams in Kitts Green ?

Grandmother Gert died in 1949, Hilda is named on the death cert.

Me and my brother/ sister have no photos of our Grandmother.

We were hoping as we are connected to the Lomas family sometime somewhere the Lomas family may have a picture of Gertrude - a long shot I know.

My father (deceased) knew Gertrude Jnr & Billy Lomas (William) children from the first Gertrude Tomlinson / Lomas marriage ???

A right all to do ?

That early your best bet (as I'm sure you know) is her Lomas children's wedding photos (if they exist) but because of the situation would your grandmother have been invited? All 3 of her Lomas children had children - Gertrude 4, Henry 2 and William 5 - so there must be descendants out there.

Other chance is a wedding photo of a niece/nephew but then the problem is that she's there but none of the descendants know who the people are. Like a lot of people no doubt I have a couple of wedding photos full of people (relatives ?) I have no idea who they are.

And going back to Arthur Henry Lomas, not sure if he and your gran did divorce but it appears that he re-married in 1918 and had 3 more children (2 died young).

And going back to Arthur Henry Lomas, not sure if he and your gran did divorce but it appears that he re-married in 1918 and had 3 more children (2 died young).
Is that the marriage of Henry to Frances Moore? If so he is described as a "bachelor" on the marriage cert.

• Appreciate
Yes, that's the one. Fairly certain it's him. His daughter (with Frances) Lily is listed with him at Upper Trinity St in 1939 as well as William, one of his sons with Gertrude.

If correct, might mean that he didn't divorce Gertrude.

Was it legal for a divorcee to marry in church in the early twentieth century? And if it was would you list yourself as a divorcee?

Also, it is possible that Frances had been married previously (1905), her first husband also called Moore.

What do you mean by illegal. It would not be illegal under common law. I suppose it would be against church law especially Catholic church law

Back