• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

'Tommy' Jones Percy Road, Sparkhill/Greet

fairport

knowlegable brummie
Hoping to trace the family history related to one Thomas Jones (known to all as 'Tommy') born in/near 1922 who was believed to have originated from the Wellington, Salop area before moving to Birmingham, father's name Harry Jones. In 1948 'Tommy' married Lilian Gwendoline Mason (known to all as 'Cis' thanks to her brother Ronald Mason) of 199, Percy Road, Sparkhill, daughter of Ethel Ann Mason of same address. They remained at 199, Percy Road until shortly after his death. He had worked at Reynolds Tubes/TI Reynolds in Tyseley and was a keen fisherman and member of the BAA. 'Tommy' died in 1955 at the age of 33 in a car crash near Banbury whilst on a fishing trip with two close Brummie friends, Ernest Shuttleworth of Stechford and John Taylor of Balsall Heath. A witness at the wedding of 'Tommy' to Lilian was a Mrs Annie Beatrice Betteley, a Jones before marrying Alexander Bettely in 1930, again both from Wellington, Salop. Mrs Annie Beatrice Bettely was living in Birmingham at the time of Tommy's wedding and is believed to have remained and raised a family in Brum. If anyone has any information on him or his immediate family & friends I would be truly grateful as I have little to no knowledge of his short life.

(According to the death certficate 'Tommy' was named Henry Thomas Jones though he only ever used the names Thomas on other documents)

Also of interest : James Mason who married the above mentioned Ethel Ann Neal in 1923, James previously of 85, Percy Road, Sparkhill/Greet, a 'Master Fruiterer' and believed a one time employee of the Prince Of Wales public house..... any info on James Mason again gratefully received.

Kindest regards,

Fairport

Hiya Fairport cant help on this but just pushing it to the top in case one of our members can help

Hoping to trace the family history related to one Thomas Jones (known to all as 'Tommy') born in/near 1922 who was believed to have originated from the Wellington, Salop area before moving to Birmingham, father's name Harry Jones. In 1948 'Tommy' married Lilian Gwendoline Mason (known to all as 'Cis' thanks to her brother Ronald Mason) of 199, Percy Road, Sparkhill, daughter of Ethel Ann Mason of same address. They remained at 199, Percy Road until shortly after his death. He had worked at Reynolds Tubes/TI Reynolds in Tyseley and was a keen fisherman and member of the BAA. 'Tommy' died in 1955 at the age of 33 in a car crash near Banbury whilst on a fishing trip with two close Brummie friends, Ernest Shuttleworth of Stechford and John Taylor of Balsall Heath. A witness at the wedding of 'Tommy' to Lilian was a Mrs Annie Beatrice Betteley, a Jones before marrying Alexander Bettely in 1930, again both from Wellington, Salop. Mrs Annie Beatrice Bettely was living in Birmingham at the time of Tommy's wedding and is believed to have remained and raised a family in Brum. If anyone has any information on him or his immediate family & friends I would be truly grateful as I have little to no knowledge of his short life.

(According to the death certficate 'Tommy' was named Henry Thomas Jones though he only ever used the names Thomas on other documents)

Also of interest : James Mason who married the above mentioned Ethel Ann Neal in 1923, James previously of 85, Percy Road, Sparkhill/Greet, a 'Master Fruiterer' and believed a one time employee of the Prince Of Wales public house..... any info on James Mason again gratefully received.

Kindest regards,

Fairport
Oh this was a very long time ago post but just in case... my grt grandfather had a grocery shop at 84 Percy Street, so next door to your James Mason. Wondered if you might have acquired any photos?

Oh this was a very long time ago post but just in case... my grt grandfather had a grocery shop at 84 Percy Street, so next door to your James Mason. Wondered if you might have acquired any photos?
Hi , the original post is my Uncles . My great grandfather was James Mason. Unfortunately we don’t have any photos , sorry .

Sarah,

Welcome to the Forum. Hopefully someone will pick up on this if your uncle or yourself are still seeking information.

Maurice :cool:

Sarah,

Welcome to the Forum. Hopefully someone will pick up on this if your uncle or yourself are still seeking information.

Thank you Maurice . Yes we’re still seeking information , so fingers crossed someone will know something.

Thanks again

Sarah,

Jones, like all of the common surnames, poses difficulties because there are so many of them. But his father, Harry JONES married Louie (Louisa) HUSON in 1 Qtr 1909 at Wellington ref Vol 6a Page 1015. Thomas was born in 1 Qtr 1922 at Wellington ref Vol 6a Page 1249.

At the time of the 2 April 1911 Census, the family were living at "off Haygate Road, Wellington" and have a 2 year old daughter Anne Beatrice JONES. Harry was 24 years old and working as a Carter for a firm of builders and was born at Eaton Constantine, Shropshire. His wife Louisa was 29 and was born at Dawley Shropshire - born 4 Qtr 1882 with birth registered at Madeley, Shropshire, Vol 6a Page 617 - mother's maiden name PRICE.

There appear to be six children of the marriage as follows, all born in Wellington, Shropshire:-

Anne Beatrice - 2 Qtr 1909. Vol 6a Page 695
Edith M. - 3 Qtr 1911 Vol 6a Page 1348
Norah - 3 Qtr 1914 Vol 6a Page 1291
John H. - 1 Qtr 1920 Vol 6a Page 1586
Thomas - 1 Qtr 1922 Vol 6a Page 1249 (as mentioned above) and
Lilian M. - 2 Qtr 1924 Vol 6a 1153

I have yet to find the family on the 1939 Register either in Wellington or Birmingham.

Last edited:
Sarah,

Here is a report of the fatal accident in 1955. Sorry about the quality.

Jones accident.jpg

Last edited:
MWS,

Just looking back at that Telford one, Louise's birth quarter is right, though not the year, they had a son John H, born in 1 Qtr 1920 - that agrees. Very strange coincidences, though given the huge number with the name JONES, it is just possible I suppose. Unless the parents are dead, I can't see any other match, can you?

• Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
Well Eaton Constantine, Harry's supposed birthplace, is only 6 km out of Telford WSW and sort of midway, though 2 miles south of the main road, between Telford & Shrewsbury. Baptisms are on FMP, but if they were non-conformist, would have had to go Shrewsbury or Much Wenlock. There's nothing C of E that really matches, but one Methodist and one United Reform. Given that they are more or less Welsh border stock, either seems possible. If Sarah wants to go backwards, it might be worth getting Harry & Louisa's marriage cert as at least it would give the father's name. Currently I'm guessing at either Watkin or Charles, but I don't think I can refine it much further.

In terms of Harry's move to Birmingham, there a 17 year old Thomas living at 1 Park Road, Smethwick in 1939, but no knowing whether the householder is his father or a relation.

If father Harry was born at Eaton Constantine, his birth would be registered in Atcham Reg Dist not Wellington. In that district and with a birth date of 1886-8, there is only one Harry born 1 Qtr 1887, Atcham R.D., Vol 6a Page 656 with a mother's maiden name of EVANS.

EDIT: This fits in nicely with a marriage of Maurice JONES to Elizabeth EVANS in 2 Qtr 1886, Atcham Reg Dist, Vol 6a Page 1215.

And the 1891 Census of 86 Abbey Foregate, Shrewsbury has the following family as

Maurice JONES, 34, Gardener's assistant. Born Berriew, Montgomeryshire
Elizabeth JONES, 29. - . Oswestry
Harry JONES, 4, - , Shrewsbury
Alice JONES, 3, - , Shrewsbury
Jessie JONES, 1, - , Shrewsbury

I strongly suggest you need a copy of Harry's marriage certificate from 1909 to prove that his father was indeed Maurice JONES.

Last edited:
There's a christening entry in the Berriew, Montgomeryshire parish records for Maurice son of Roger & Mary JONES, born on 9 June 1857, christened the same day in one of two private ceremonies. Roger's occupation was maltster, see attachment.

There is a corresponding entry in the Births Index for Maurice JONES in 2 Qtr 1857 Montgomery R.D. Vol 11b Page 235 (mother's maiden name OWEN).

Attachments

• Berriew_1.jpg
    Berriew_1.jpg
    121 KB · Views: 5
And attached is Roger & Mary's family on 7 April 1861 living in Castle Village, Castle Caereinion, Montgomery. So your JONES family look pretty Welsh to me!

Attachments

• Jones 1861.jpg
    Jones 1861.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:
Sarah,

Here is a report of the fatal accident in 1955. Sorry about the quality.

View attachment 154503
Maurice , I can’t thank you enough !! I have the inquest report regarding my Grandad ( Thomas ) but never seen a newspaper clipping . We’ve been told that Louisa Huson passed away when she was around the age of 42, I can find a few registered deaths in the Shropshire area & one stands out that was registered in Cheshire . I’ve just joined Ancestry , so going to have a good look. Thank you again for taking time out to help , much appreciated.
Sarah

Maurice , I can’t thank you enough !! I have the inquest report regarding my Grandad ( Thomas ) but never seen a newspaper clipping . We’ve been told that Louisa Huson passed away when she was around the age of 42, I can find a few registered deaths in the Shropshire area & one stands out that was registered in Cheshire . I’ve just joined Ancestry , so going to have a good look. Thank you again for taking time out to help , much appreciated.
Sarah

If that is Louisa Huson (Jones) on the 1939 Register then she couldn't have died at 42, as at that time she's in her late 50s.

There are a couple of deaths registered Wellington that could be her, one 1940 and the other 1968.

Sarah,

You're welcome. JONES like SMITH is not an easy name to research due to the vast numbers of them. It looks as though Thomas may have been the only member of his family to move to Birmingham. Given that Louise was born in late 1882, her death would likely to have occured in 1924 or 25if she was 42, and likely in the Wellington area as Lilian M was born there in 1924, but there is nothing until a 72 year old Louise JONES dies there in 3 Qtr 1945 at Wellington, Vol 6a Page 736. Given that there seems to be little communication between the family, that is a distinct possibility.

As MWS has just pointed out, she may have been alive in 1939 too. Unfortunately, you can't get the cheaper pdf copy after 1934 as I understand it. But good luck with this.

If that is Louisa Huson (Jones) on the 1939 Register then she couldn't have died at 42, as at that time she's in her late 50s.

There are a couple of deaths registered Wellington that could be her, one 1940 and the other 1968.
This is where I’m getting confused with it . Family have said she died at age 42, but I just couldn’t find any deaths registered around that time ! I’ll have a look at the ones you have mentioned . Thank you

Sarah,

You're welcome. JONES like SMITH is not an easy name to research due to the vast numbers of them. It looks as though Thomas may have been the only member of his family to move to Birmingham. Given that Louise was born in late 1882, her death would likely to have occured in 1924 or 25if she was 42, and likely in the Wellington area as Lilian M was born there in 1924, but there is nothing until a 72 year old Louise JONES dies there in 3 Qtr 1945 at Wellington, Vol 6a Page 736. Given that there seems to be little communication between the family, that is a distinct possibility.

As MWS has just pointed out, she may have been alive in 1939 too. Unfortunately, you can't get the cheaper pdf copy after 1934 as I understand it. But good luck with this.

Thank you Maurice . The smith family is a WHOLE new story ...my Moms side is Smith , so you can understand my frustration! I shall have a good look into it now that I’ve joined Ancestry .
Really appreciate you both helping

Sarah

Sarah,

My father was 22 years older than my mother and he died when I was 13 in 1952. Just one sister turned up at his funeral, claiming that her sister wasn't well, though they both drank an incredible anount of whisky, so her absence could have been due to a hangover, who knows? But no mention was made of Dad's brother, 16 years older than Dad, and we assumed that he had died before the war as no one ever heard from him. It wasn't until I discovered his death about four years ago that I realised that it took place 9 months after that of my father! Families are strange entities.

My mother's Uncle Jack emigrated to Australia in 1919, but because the family didn't like his wife, no one kept in touch. Nearly a hundred years later a fellow researcher sent details of their family & descendants to me! And, of course, family legends frequently turn out to be total fiction, as many on here will tell you. Good hunting! :)

Sarah,

My father was 22 years older than my mother and he died when I was 13 in 1952. Just one sister turned up at his funeral, claiming that her sister wasn't well, though they both drank an incredible anount of whisky, so her absence could have been due to a hangover, who knows? But no mention was made of Dad's brother, 16 years older than Dad, and we assumed that he had died before the war as no one ever heard from him. It wasn't until I discovered his death about four years ago that I realised that it took place 9 months after that of my father! Families are strange entities.

My mother's Uncle Jack emigrated to Australia in 1919, but because the family didn't like his wife, no one kept in touch. Nearly a hundred years later a fellow researcher sent details of their family & descendants to me! And, of course, family legends frequently turn out to be total fiction, as many on here will tell you. Good hunting! :)

Blimey ! Yes family’s can be a strange thing. My Nan always spoke of an Aunt , but we didn’t know if she was an actual aunt or if she just called her that , as they used do. Turns out she was family & emigrated to Salt Lake City! I’ve just taken the DNA test on ancestry , so hopefully that’ll give me some clues ..fingers crossed !
Thanks again for all your help & good luck with your continued search .
Sarah

Smith is tricky but not impossible. Gather has much info as you can but keep an open mind, as Maurice said not everything family tell you turns out to be true. You have to have a bit of good fortune though.

Smith is tricky but not impossible. Gather has much info as you can but keep an open mind, as Maurice said not everything family tell you turns out to be true. You have to have a bit of good fortune though.
Thank you , it is tricky & when you think you’ve cracked it , something doesn’t quite add up. It can be frustrating, but I’m enjoying it.

I would just like to thank you all for the help given to our Sarah. I'm her Carbuncle, Ken Jones, and 'Tommy' was late Dad. You're a great bunch

(L) James Mason (C) Ethel Ann Mason (R) 'Uncle Charl'

(L child) Unknown (C child) Lilian Gwendoline Mason (R child) Ronald Mason

Attachments

• IMG_20220406_211242.jpg
    IMG_20220406_211242.jpg
    939.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Appreciate
Reactions: MWS
I have photos of my family going back to my great grandparents, including James x

Back