• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Family at War (1970) on DVD

Maria Magenta

master brummie
I very vaguely remember this being on, and my parents watching it. I've just bought the DVD and we've seen the first episode.
I can see why they would have liked it. It's going to be riveting - all that conflict in the family, and the war. Dad was very nostalgic about that time.
Every one looks extremely young, the younger people I mean, like Barbara Flynn and Keith Drinkel. It was about that time that I saw Keith Drinkel in 'Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead' at the Old Rep.
Television drama has changed such a lot!

Not sure where I should post this, BUT MY 44yr old son Paul, a USNavy pilot and Captain in the US Navy, is a WW2 history buff, I have never really discussed my life during the war with him, but I think if you read what he has to say you will see that people in the US have no idea just what we ALL went through during that horrible time in our lives. With the DDay celebration? the troops where not the only ones that gave there all for Great Britian . John Crump Old&Johns birthday 001.jpgJohns birthday 001.jpgPROUDBrit, Parker, Colorado USA

John,
I remember Michael Caine saying that he decided to bring his kids back to England when they came home from school in the USA and said that WW2 started in Dec 1941!! However, I know that you have a loving, caring son, and I am glad that his generation have had things better. Although we did pretty good in the end.

Eddie
l

Maria Magenta, I remember watching the series Family at War and enjoying it.

It would be interesting to see what I would think about it now. It was very well acted but maybe looks dated now?

Barbara Flynn never dates!
Still got that girl next door eyes & cheeky little grin, even with have n=both aged a little since.....
She was great in the Beiderbeck affair soon after, and wasn't given a big enough part in Open All hours.
Family at war was a superb drama - still enjoy it - enjoy the DVD..
Brian

Maria Magenta, I remember watching the series Family at War and enjoying it.

It would be interesting to see what I would think about it now. It was very well acted but maybe looks dated now?

It's far slower than television dramas now. Also the colours are subdued, and locations are obviously not where they're meant to be!
I'm not sure I'd say dated exactly, just different.
We've seen two epsisodes now!

On Any Answers on Radio 4 (7th June, 2.00) one of the callers said that he felt that the war was being remembered in the wrong way. He was some one who'd been there. If you listen on iPlayer, he's the first caller.
It's very moving.

Back