• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Falklands Conflict 1982

L

Lonnie D54

27 years ago Sunday (14th June 1982) the Argentines under orders from their Garrison Commander General Menendez raised white flags over Port Stanley to signal their surrender to the British Task Force.

For those we left behind and to those we carried home God Bless and may you Rest in Peace.

:(

Last edited by a moderator:
hi lonnie
never served in falklands, had some old mates who died there in the helecopter down in south georgia served in aden in 60's, left six of my mates there and some 300 other 's killed, god knows how many maimed and wounded. same in ireland who would even know the name if you asked about aden?. same as you! god bless them all.
paul stacey

hi lonnie
never served in falklands, had some old mates who died there in the helecopter down in south georgia served in aden in 60's, left six of my mates there and some 300 other 's killed, god knows how many maimed and wounded. same in ireland who would even know the name if you asked about aden?. same as you! god bless them all.
paul stacey

Paul,
I visit the Falklands Plot (and some other old friends who are buried around there) at Aldershot Cemetary every June and November. In May there is a small remembrance down near the Storey Arms (base of the Corn Du/Pen-y-Fan climb) at Brecon where exists a small plot of crosses, a small parade is held for those who died in the forgotten conflicts and also to remember those who have recently died in the Sandpits.

Lest we forget.

All the best

hi donnie,
know pen-y-fan well, as I do sugar loaf, and the black mountains, nice to have a place you feel comfortable with when you remember, do my remembering in november, here in cambridge. strange how we think of our comrades as still 18/19 yrs old when if alive would be in their early to mid-sixtys. may get a flight one day to aden and visit silent valley, went back NI last year changed greatly, went SI to visit where my grandad was killed in 1921, nothing really changes.
all the best
paul stacey

Paul,

Yes, fallen comrades, they will be forever young.

I've had the opprtunity to go and visit the Falklands which I have declined as I never want to see that place again nor NI. I've been back to the Gulf since 90/91 but that was on business. I will go to SI though as the wife and I both have loads of cousins there.

There are quite a few Aden vets on another website I visit (Ex AB) and there threads are often full of old photos.

All the best

Lonnie

Paul,

You will recognise the statue of this fine lady but do you know the hot spot where the photo was taken? ;)

hi lonnie
sorry cannot open the new format photo's have contacted both postie and the technical team, but no one has come back to me???????????
regards
paul stacey

Paul,

Not to worry mate, its a picture of a large statue of Queen Victoria on a plinth in Aden. Doubt it's still there now though. :)

All the best

Hi Both, Falklands vet here, Former ML1-Mountain Arctic Warfare Cadre, what a party that was, ha! the memories.
looka fter yourselves.
nutter

hi nutter
my lad is 51 RE airborne but was selected for the all arms commando cadre, and is in Devon as I speak.
regards
paul stacey

Hi Nutter, I'm ex Para transferred to REME in late 70's where I spent another 9 years in the AB REME role, have spent the last 12 years working in MoD. I see you settled down North West of the Beacons, me and the wife climb the Fan at least once every year. We normally stay in cabins at Ystradganlais or near the Lines at Senny depending on whether its a weeks or a long weekend holiday. Were doing Snowdonia this Sep and probably Brecon in Mar 10 (and possibly May 10 as well).

Passed by Grytviken on the way through in 82 cross decked to Stromness via Junella, so we maybe passed close by. ;)

I didn't realise how big those waves were sailing through the Roaring Forties until I saw Stromness in dock at Pompey about a year later :shocked:

Did you know Jim Browning, he was my best Mucker through the campaign only to die afterwards. I had to go POW guard to take the last 563 prisoners back to Argentina, came back from there and found he'd been washed overboard from a Gemini on a run out to HMS Arrow. :(

Still remember our last banter exchange as he stood on the ramp of the Baltic, far too expletive to put on here but typical Para - Marine stuff. :)

Back