• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Fairgrounds

:strawberry:Not sure Carolina but guess it must if it stays open. Mind you most of the caravan sites near by are open eleven months of the year and being centrally heated these days would use them in the winter.:strawberry:

The Tulip Festival later renamed the Spring Festival has been mentioned a few times, the fair was a great addition to an entertaining day. I must have visited every festival for the first 10 years at least. These photos must be from the first one as they are dated 1962.

Attachments

• Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park Tulip Festival 1962 (1).jpg
    Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park Tulip Festival 1962 (1).jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 24
  • Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park Tulip Festival 1962 (2).jpg
    Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park Tulip Festival 1962 (2).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 24
  • Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park Tulip Festval.jpg
    Edgbaston Cannon Hill Park Tulip Festval.jpg
    242.9 KB · Views: 26
Bit of a long shot especially on an old post but here goes. I am trying to find out what happened to a man by the name of John Baguley, mother’s name I believe was Beaumont. Apparently his father ran fairs in Birmingham and I believe from gypsy/traveler background. John would be approaching or in his 70s now. He went on to the haulage world, working as an owner driver for Teamhaul and then working with a Steve Watkins from Stadhampton farm in Oxford. Very grateful for any information you may have, Thankyou.

After doing a search on the Forum I found earlier posts about a lion escaping from the Onion Fair in Birmingham...
By chance, on a walking history tour of the cemetery local to me in London, I found out about this having occurred!

Frank C Bostock, the man who owned the lion is buried in the cemetery and I found the story here...

This is his grave...
The_grave_of_Frank_C._Bostock,_Abney_Park_Cemetery,_London.png

Back