• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ken Russell

I have attached a school photo of my father -in-law at Fairfield House School in about 1913.
Can anyone give me any more information about the place ? I believe it was in Church Road , Yardley, which was where he lived. Does anywhere hold archives of such schools ? I imagine it was a private school.
The handwritten note on the back (by his sister) reads "Fairfield House School, with Mr Sunderland (?) the Head-master in about 1913. George 2nd in back Row, Malcolm and Douglas Horne 5th & 6th in same row"
my question mark added, as I'm not certain the name is Sunderland.
The George referred to, is George Iliffe Stokes - renowned railway modeller. He was born in 1900 in Saltley.
The back is a postcard, marked "Published by F H Biddle, Photographer, Olton, Warwickshire"

All help gratefully received.

Ken

Hi Ken, I went to Fairfield House School in the late 1940s/early 1950s. The Headmaster was Mr Chapman. It was a small private school for children from 5 years old right up to leaving age. At that time the school had two sites: one for the younger children was in (I think) Yardley Fields Road near Stechford, and the other for the older children was in Church Road, Yardley.
I was there from the age of 5 to 11 and then went to Erdington Grammar School for Girls. I particularly remember the Fairfield House teacher Mr George. He was quite scary and used to rap pupils' knuckles with a ruler and give them a cuff round the ear.

Just seen this thread. My wife's father George Chapman is the headmaster you referred to. His wife Nell and their two daughters lived there until the early 1960s. The school was then sold, demolished and flats built in its place. The family then moved to Welshpool in Wales where George had a small primary school until retirement. There are a number of photos which I will try to digitise and upload to this site.

I think photo was taken in early 1950s. Vaguely recognise a couple of the boys -they would have been "senior" boys when I was about 8 to 10.

I attach 3 photos on postcards (but not addressed) from an earlier era. the first 2 are of cricket teams whilst the third is a group photo. Could this have been the whole school at that time? I attach a 4th photo showing what was written on the reverse of the third one. The word "Bastards" has been changed to "Bustards"! In case anyone can't read the writing it says "The Fairfield "Bastards\Bustards" of thirty five (five has been inserted on the line above) years ago (approx.) From one of them James Such(?)"
fairfield8.jpgfairfield9.jpgfairfield10.jpgfairfield10b.jpg

Thanks. I also have a version of your photo Fairfield6, probably taken in 1950 – I’m 3rd from left in front row. The teacher is Mrs Cullen. I attach 2 photos of the whole school (1949 and 1952). I remember the names of quite a lot of the pupils and teachers (Miss Wells, Mrs Cullen, Mr George, Miss Harris, Miss Watkins). In 1949 Hilary Chapman is sitting in front of Mr Chapman and in 1952 she is on the back row, right. Also attached is a photo of a group (including Hilary) eating ice creams, and two photos of school plays performed in the school grounds. I particularly remember “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” – I was the fairy on the left stroking Oberon’s head! The postcards you attached are from a much earlier era so I can’t throw any light on those. The name might be James Buick?
View attachment 103257View attachment 103258View attachment 103259View attachment 103260View attachment 103261

Thanks but the photos don't show. When I click on what appears to be a link I get a message saying to contact the administrator. There appear to be 5 items. Can you investigate please?

Unsuccessfully tried to get site admiistrator to sort it out.

I will try to load the photos individually as it may be that the file sizes were too big to download.

School photo 1949

Fairfield 1949 a.jpg

Pictures 3, 4 & 5

img019.jpg img020.jpg

Don't know why picture 3 is sideways.

image.jpeg
Image orientation corrected 15/4/16

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Sweet Tooth, don't know why I didn't get a message saying you had managed to post the photos. Perhaps I haven't got my settings right. We have spotted Hilary in your photos. Hilary is intrigued to know your real name.

Hi Sweet Tooth, don't know why I didn't get a message saying you had managed to post the photos. Perhaps I haven't got my settings right. We have spotted Hilary in your photos. Hilary is intrigued to know your real name.

Hi Cestrian, Sorry not to have responded sooner - reply came in when we were away and then got overlooked. My name when I was at Fairfield was Susan Walker - older than Hilary so never in the same class. I'm still in touch with another Fairfield pupil, Pamela Courthill, who is the same age as me and appears in the school photos. Don't know whether the names are familiar to Hilary.

Hi Susan,
Sorry for the delay in replying. By coincidence, Hilary was friends with a Susan Walker when she was at Highclare but cannot remember you. Pamela's name also means nothing to her.

hi I was at Fairfield house during the late fourties fifties. I was in the same class asHilary, mr chapman was headmaster wasn't Hilary his daughter. I was pete jones.

hi I was at Fairfield house during the late fourties fifties. I was in the same class asHilary, mr chapman was headmaster wasn't Hilary his daughter. I was pete jones.
Hi, I was at Fairfield House 1957-59. Yes Hilary was his Daughter. I will print the names that I can remember, Vernon Clark, Jean Witherington, Marie Saunders and her Sister, Jennifer Carless, Susan Burt, Janice Day, Roy Buffery, Carole Priddy, Carole Ward,
(?)-Kinseller, Alan Yorke, Mr.George for Leatherwork. Pauline (?)
One Saturday afternoon I went to tea at the house of Jennifer Carless in Falmouth Road Hodge Hill with my newly purchased Lonnie Donegan 10" LP and Jennifer lent me Oh Boy by Buddy Holly. Vernon and I were together at school when we heard of the death of
Buddy Holly. We stayed friends until Vernon died some years ago having moved to Spain.
Carole Priddy, Carole Ward, Roy Buffery and I went on a school trip to (?) and on the way back we hired a punt on the Avon at Stratford. I do hope the above may be of interest. Cameraman 15.

Thanks. I also have a version of your photo Fairfield6, probably taken in 1950 – I’m 3rd from left in front row. The teacher is Mrs Cullen. I attach 2 photos of the whole school (1949 and 1952). I remember the names of quite a lot of the pupils and teachers (Miss Wells, Mrs Cullen, Mr George, Miss Harris, Miss Watkins). In 1949 Hilary Chapman is sitting in front of Mr Chapman and in 1952 she is on the back row, right. Also attached is a photo of a group (including Hilary) eating ice creams, and two photos of school plays performed in the school grounds. I particularly remember “A Midsummer Night’s Dream” – I was the fairy on the left stroking Oberon’s head! The postcards you attached are from a much earlier era so I can’t throw any light on those. The name might be James Buick?
View attachment 103257View attachment 103258View attachment 103259View attachment 103260View attachment 103261

Just found this site/thread! I went to Fairfield House School in the mid-50’s and well remember Mr Chapman and Mr George (especially his leatherwork classes). I vaguely remember Hilary; didn’t she have a younger sister at the school too? The only classmate that I can remember is John Panteney, (I have probably misspelt his surname! I bumped into him in the BRMB radio offices in the late seventies , I think it was. Also, I boarded there on weekdays for a while. I have no photos of the time, I’m afraid.

Back