• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
Hello.

I have just found this page............. What a blast!

I attended Fairfield House mid 1950's to 1959. I remember the ticking grandfather clock.. the awful food and clattering over the cobbles in football boots.

Names I remember? Martin Morris, Susan Burt, Janice Day, Michael Parks, Bernard Vaughn... Must think more! Might have some pictures somewhere.

Last edited:
Coming back.

I remember walking from one site to the other for lunch past Yardley Old Church... No idea why now.

And a boy, whos name escapes me, Turned up one day with his pet owl(s) caused a bit of a problem!.. I remember Mr George smoking his pipe... wasn't he known as Creeper Crockett?

Last edited:
Hello.

I have just found this page............. What a blast!

I attended Fairfield House mid 1950's to 1959. I remember the ticking grandfather clock.. the awful food and clattering over the cobbles in football boots.

Names I remember? Martin Morris, Susan Burt, Janice Day, Michael Parks, Bernard Vaughn... Must think more! Might have some pictures somewhere.

I can’t remember many names, of those you list, I remember Martin Morris. As I mentione, I remember a John Pantene and two others, Helen Josebury and Richard Hipkiss (hope my spelling of surnames is correct). I kept in touch with Richard Hipkiss for quite a while after Fairfield but I was packed off to boarding school and lost touch. I also remember Hilary Chapman but cannot recall her younger sisters name (may have been Helen). I, by the way, am Michael Parkes. You?

I can’t remember many names, of those you list, I remember Martin Morris. As I mentione, I remember a John Pantene and two others, Helen Josebury and Richard Hipkiss (hope my spelling of surnames is correct). I kept in touch with Richard Hipkiss for quite a while after Fairfield but I was packed off to boarding school and lost touch. I also remember Hilary Chapman but cannot recall her younger sisters name (may have been Helen). I, by the way, am Michael Parkes. You?

Hello Michael,

Sorry about the missing "e"

I am Richard Hipkiss!... The Internet eh?

Want to catch up? Could be frightening!

Last edited:
Hello Michael,

Sorry about the missing "e"

I am Richard Hipkiss!... The Internet eh?

Want to catch up? Could be frightening!

Amazing! Yes, Richard, it would be great to ‘catch up‘, although with the number of years that have passed it could, potentially, take some time! I currently live in Northamptonshire, are you still in Birmingham? I’ll have a look to see if this forum does private messages and arrange contact that way. It is so good to hear from you after all this time. Be in touch soon. Mike

hi wynkyn de worde...i have received a private message from you but unfortunately you have elected not to receive any replies so i am messaging you here...to receive replies from the member you have messaged which are completely private you will need to go into your settings and allow them...but going back to your question the best way to exchange email addresses is indeed via our messaging system..that way you can rest assured that only yourself and the recipient is privy to any private contact details you wish to pass on...hope this is of help

lyn

Thanks Astoness,

I am sorry for the bother... we are now in touch off the board

Back to the subject on hand.

I remember a brother and sister... Rosalind and Gordon Devitt

Really amazing to make contact again with an old friend from Fairfield days; am hoping that we can meet up when this virus stuff is over. It would be so good to hear from anyone else from those years at the school, in my case around 1955 to 1957.

I was just looking for my friend on this site, Stephanie Dodd, I was surprised to see my name further back. I am Carol Priddey but went to Bardmore College as did Carole Ward and Roy Buffery. I don't remember hiring the punt on the Avon after a school trip. Anymore info from anyone>

Hi, I was at Fairfield House 1957-59. Yes Hilary was his Daughter. I will print the names that I can remember, Vernon Clark, Jean Witherington, Marie Saunders and her Sister, Jennifer Carless, Susan Burt, Janice Day, Roy Buffery, Carole Priddy, Carole Ward,
(?)-Kinseller, Alan Yorke, Mr.George for Leatherwork. Pauline (?)
One Saturday afternoon I went to tea at the house of Jennifer Carless in Falmouth Road Hodge Hill with my newly purchased Lonnie Donegan 10" LP and Jennifer lent me Oh Boy by Buddy Holly. Vernon and I were together at school when we heard of the death of
Buddy Holly. We stayed friends until Vernon died some years ago having moved to Spain.
Carole Priddy, Carole Ward, Roy Buffery and I went on a school trip to (?) and on the way back we hired a punt on the Avon at Stratford. I do hope the above may be of interest. Cameraman 15.
Did you previously go to Bardmore College and what was your surname? I am Carol Priddey

Hi, I was at Fairfield House 1957-59. Yes Hilary was his Daughter. I will print the names that I can remember, Vernon Clark, Jean Witherington, Marie Saunders and her Sister, Jennifer Carless, Susan Burt, Janice Day, Roy Buffery, Carole Priddy, Carole Ward,
(?)-Kinseller, Alan Yorke, Mr.George for Leatherwork. Pauline (?)
One Saturday afternoon I went to tea at the house of Jennifer Carless in Falmouth Road Hodge Hill with my newly purchased Lonnie Donegan 10" LP and Jennifer lent me Oh Boy by Buddy Holly. Vernon and I were together at school when we heard of the death of
Buddy Holly. We stayed friends until Vernon died some years ago having moved to Spain.
Carole Priddy, Carole Ward, Roy Buffery and I went on a school trip to (?) and on the way back we hired a punt on the Avon at Stratford. I do hope the above may be of interest. Cameraman 15.
Hi, I am Carol Priddey and I knew Carol Ward and Roy Buffery but I did not go to Fairfield house, so I am a bit confused?? I went to Bardmotre College in Yardley Fields Road. Can you throw some more light on this please, I'd like to know your name.

I really do not know how this site works. Apparently I have to reply on this open site. Yes, we did go to Blenheim Palace the birthplace of Winston Churchill. I do not remember going on the river but it was a long time ago! I remember your name but cannot put a face to it - I'm sorry. I must have left Bardmore in 57 . I went to Cockshitt Hill. We had a house fire and lots everything so I had to leave private school. It was a pretty rotten school anyway so I am not surprised that it closed.. I have just remembered Roy's friend I think it was Peter Goddard. I kept in touch with Carol Ward for a while. She got married at 17 and I was her bridesmaid.. I only saw her once after that, I realised that she was not my type of person. I was very 'innocent' in those days. I remember an auburn haired young boy whose first name was Terry. Apart from the Hornes' I only remember Miss Burnett who came one each week to teach dancing. What did you do for a living when you left school? Are you still In Birmingham? I now live in Tenbury Wells
Glad we have sorted out the Fairfield House thing. Best wishes, Carol

After buying a book secondhand, flicking to the front and reading “Fairfield House school, Yardley” it’s been lovely reading through this thread and learning about the place as I’d never heard of it up until now. There’s a faint name on the front written in pencil, I believe it says “Jarrett Geir” but I could be wrong.
thank you for some interesting reading!

Back