• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

facts and figures of the trams

Astonian

gone but not forgotten
Hi tram lovers
Here is a couple of facts about the usage and loss of our trams during the second world war of 1939/ 1945.
Second world war ,over 1,100 employees, including many reservists, were called up at the out break of war, and 2,129
Eventually experienced war service
Women were again recruited to serve as replacements, many becoming clippies
Birmingham experienced seventy seven air raids, the heaviest occurring between26/27 august 1940. and April1941
Accounting for some 4;500 deaths, Forty one trams and twenty motor buses were destroyed
And around 1;500 vehicles damaged. 1946 /1953 Declined and demised
Best wishes to all for 2015 Alan,,, Astonian,,,,,,,,

G'Day Alan/Astonian, My father drove trams on the 78-79-2 lines,in that period 36/51, for nearly thirty years, and many times I would have to take him a jug of tea and snap, waiting at George rd staying on till Shortheath terminus, then coming back, also remembered was the times we had as kids going to the annual Christmas parties, being taken by bus to somewhere?in Kings Heath parklands, lovely memories... Catcha later..

Aston Cross 1951 painting.JPG smithy I have attached a painting by Eric Bottomley of the very trams you Dad drove, this is Aston Cross 1950

Back