• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Sydenham Rd Sparkbrook

tali

master brummie
Does anyone recall white faced office/factory on Sydenham Rd Sparkbrook opposite K Khan tryes and the mosque.It was in mid 80s that i recall it.It is currently direlect but Wallwork operate from behind the abondaned fronatge - don't know if they own it
Anyone recall name or more info?

Hello everyone
I am a new member to the forum.
I was born on Sydenham rd sparkbrook
I would love if anyone may have pictures of the area....especially in the 70s and 80s.
Does anyone remember mrs stokes or mrs odowd.

I lived on Sydenham from birth 1972 until the house were being demolished...that was earlier 80s.my family left in 1985.
Does anyone remember an irish family ...they had a son called kieron and a daughter called Bernadette.

My nan lived in Stretton Grove, off Sydenham Road from about 1935, then exchanged and moved round the corner on the main Sydenham Road until about 1974. Early on she used to work in the canteen of the factory opposite but I cannot remember the name. I do remember Alldays & Onions but I think that was next door to the houses just about where Silverline Cars or the Mosque is now. Does anyone remember Mr. Stanley the grocer?

Just looking at google and am amazed to see that the factory that was the Sydenham Cabinets still there, although trading differently now. Also thinking of Alldays and Onions, I see that Silverline Cars occupy a building called Great Western Hall. A & O used to operate out of the Great Western Works so I pressume this building must have been part of their factory.

Great Western Hall was built by Alldays & Onions in 1896 as a Mess Room and Social Club, and also housed a company shop for employees.
PA739

There was also a factory in Sydenham Road - Parker-Hale. I think they made guns. Can't remember where they were though.

According top my brother (he remembers more than I do). The building opposite Streton Grove, the white building that tali was asking about was Alldays and Onions. A&O were definitely on the opposite side to Stretton Grove, they had an entrance directly opposite. They ran from the top of Sydenham Rd down to the Social Club which was opposite the next grove down. There is now a company called Alldays Peacock in Sydneham Road, don;t know anything about them.

According top my brother (he remembers more than I do). The building opposite Streton Grove, the white building that tali was asking about was Alldays and Onions. A&O were definitely on the opposite side to Stretton Grove, they had an entrance directly opposite. They ran from the top of Sydenham Rd down to the Social Club which was opposite the next grove down. There is now a company called Alldays Peacock in Sydneham Road, don;t know anything about them.
Alldays Peacock was formed after the two companies merged, but AP then closed the Sydenham Road factory and moved everything to Weston-super-Mare. ( That company no longer exists, as it was bought up by a German company based in Halifax, Yorks.)
The whole Alldays site is owned by Wallwork heat treatments.
PA739

Alldays Peacock was formed after the two companies merged, but AP then closed the Sydenham Road factory and moved everything to Weston-super-Mare. ( That company no longer exists, as it was bought up by a German company based in Halifax, Yorks.)
The whole Alldays site is owned by Wallwork heat treatments.
PA739
Hi I'm new to the forum.....I was wondering does anyone have old pictures of Sydenham rd. Or surroundings rds..I would love to see them..thank you.Zara

My nan lived in Stretton Grove, off Sydenham Road from about 1935, then exchanged and moved round the corner on the main Sydenham Road until about 1974. Early on she used to work in the canteen of the factory opposite but I cannot remember the name. I do remember Alldays & Onions but I think that was next door to the houses just about where Silverline Cars or the Mosque is now. Does anyone remember Mr. Stanley the grocer?
I lived on Sydenham Road from 1953 to 1973 I remember Stanley's Shop and old Mr Stanley very well. My mother used to send me for a quarter of tea! As kids we used to sit on the wall next to the shop and watch all the comings and goings.

There was also a factory in Sydenham Road - Parker-Hale. I think they made guns. Can't remember where they were though.
I think the Parker Hale factory was on Golden Hillock Rd opposite the end of Sydenham Rd beside the BSA where the Ackers is now

I think the Parker Hale factory was on Golden Hillock Rd opposite the end of Sydenham Rd beside the BSA where the Ackers is now
I remember the BSA very well. Also my dad worked in Montgomery Street (BSA Spares dept) for 25 years. That was the other end of Sydenham Road from Golden Hillock Road. Where did you live in Sydenham Road? My aunty used to live at the very first house in Sydenham, round the corner from Walford Rd.

I lived nearer the Anderton Rd end of Sydenham Rd in Elm Grove, we were opposite Alldays and Onions. My grandfather used to go and play dominoes in the social club further down the road.

I can't remember elm Grove but it must have been quite near Stretton Grove. I have been researching my mom's family and some of them lived in Elm Grove, also my cousins family, some of them lived in Elm Grove too. I think numbers 14 and 17 rig bells with me but I cannot remember at the moment.

Yes Elm Grove was the grove before Stretton Grove I also had family in Stretton Grove. My family lived in Sydenham Rd from the early 1900 to the early 70s

I was really interested to hear that your family had lived in Sydenham Road, for so long and you had relatives in Stretton Grove. My nan and the family lived in Stretton Grove for about 40 years, so she must have known your relos.

Can you give me the names of them? I would like to look them up on the electoral rolls (I have quite a few for Stretton Grove) just to see if I remember them. We used to visit nan a lot when I was younger. If you would rather not name names, could you send me a private message?

I was looking through your posts and realise that you were related to Mrs. Merchant. Although I think that the Mrs. Merchant I knew is a different one to your relative.

Yes we had extended family called Merchant, the other name that might be relevant is Wright, they lived at Elm Grove from the 1920s.

The Merchant I have was Alice Florent Hall, born in 1882 to Charles Hal1 who lived at 1 4 Elm Grove in 1911. Alice married Henry Loader in 1905 and had one son. Henry died in 1909 and Alice then married Edgar Joseph Merchant. They lived at 21 Sydenham Road in 1911. On the 1939 register they are at 20 Elm Grove. In 1962 Alice was living at 31 Sydenham Road then she exchanged with my nan who lived at 3 Stretton Grove. Alice died in 1965 and still lived at 2 Stretton Grove.

I do not think this is the same Merchant as yours - do you? I can't find any Wrights in Elm Grove on the electoral rolls, although I have not looked thoroughly. Did you say you had relatives in Stretton Grove?

Alice Hall was my grandmother, Ellen (Nellie) Hall sister I think. I remember her living in Stretton Grove when I was a child we called her ‘Aunty Crin’ and I remember her death in the sixties. Nellie Hall was married to Fredrick Wright my grandfather who lived at 18 Elm Grove until he died. Alice Hall (Merchant) lived in the second or third house on the right side of Stretton Grove she had who family lived in the opposite house Edna and Edgar, they had a daughter Pat who was my mothers bridesmaid.

Alice and Ellen’s parents were Charles and Ellen Hall so I think your Merchant is my great aunt.

Yes Alice lived at number 3. She kept on to exchange with my nan who lived there from about 1940. The did exchange eventually and nan went to live in Alice's house at 31 Sydenham Road. I have the parents: Charles Hall and Ellen Feek. Having a bit of a problem finding Charles father though.

Apart from Alice and Ellen, there were two other daughters (one went to Canada) and 4 sons. One of the sons William Howard Hall was my cousins grandfather. William lived at 47 Sydenham Road. I remember him, he used to wear a vest and bracers! Do you have access to Ancestry?

Definitely them I believe their name was changed from Feek to York at some stage. No access to Ancestry but thinking to join as I have recently begun delving into the past. Is it worth it do you think for a novice?

I have had a subscription to Ancestry for years. There are a lot of different sites available but I don't know anything about any of them although Find My Past seems to be a popular one. I can probably tell you quite a lot about your family because of the connection with the Hall's and, of course Mrs. Merchant and Sydenham Road/Stretton Grove. I think any computer genealogy site is useful to anyone researching their trees. You can create a tree and keep all your information in one place.

I lived on Sydenham from birth 1972 until the house were being demolished...that was earlier 80s.my family left in 1985.
Does anyone remember an irish family ...they had a son called kieron and a daughter called Bernadette.
Hi Zara, I was born to on Sydenham road, and I think around early 1980’s we left too, we had many good old times as a young child, I do remember a Irish family living opposite me, there is some story to this but I can only discuss so much publicly. In them days we used to play in groups on the Sydenham road so wouldn’t be surprised if we had met than too without realising 40 years later we will be crashing out memories in exchange.

I lived at 2 Elm grove, Sydenham road. We moved in during the 70’s and stayed there until the houses were demolished. Many fond memories of CEF next door and the surrounding houses and neighbours.

Back