• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Facades

W

Wendy

We noticed this building frontage today on Pershore Street between the traffic lights and Dean Street. We were on the way to the Rag Market and wondered why it was being saved. Does anyone know why?

100_2564.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Builders have done this before in town built a new building behind an old facade. Maybe doing the same with this one?

Hi Wendy: It's my old office building on Upper Dean Street/Pershore Street area. I worked there in 1959! After many false starts by the City Planning Department it's finally being developed. There was going to be condos at one time and then a hotel. Not sure what the final plans include. I was amazed that the place was still there in it's ancient condition last time I was in Brum (last October) Surprised because it was still there in it's dreadful condition on the trip before in 2004.

The reason it is being saved and built on to is because 44-45 Upper Dean Street is a listed heritage building, at least part of the block is. We had a thread on here about it last year or early this year. Just put Upper Dean Street in the search. There is a link on there to the Skyscraper City site where there is some info.

Ah thanks for that info Jennyann. There is a lot of building work going on in the area it must be the latest re-generation. They were also working inside the old bowling ally and Silver Blades Ice Rink just down the road.

froths right wend...the facade of the croc works has been kept and incorporated with the new apartments that are being built..could be doing the same thing although there is already a building behind the dean street one so i cant see what they will do with it...will be interesting to find out...

lyn

Lyn now I have read the thread Jennyann suggested I understand more. There doesn't seem to be anything behind the building if you look at the last photo it's just a temporary car park. Well I suppose a frontage is better than nothing.

Often we see buildings that have retained their original facade, with the structure behind the front facade being completely demolished and re-built.

It seems to have become more of a trend in architecture in recent times where original facades are being retained and the structure behind being totally re-built. In fact there's a name for it "facadism" !

What examples are there around Burmingham ? Viv.

Viv, I think there were some near the Oratory by Five ways, it's only a vague memory though!!
rosie.

Wow thanks Rosie. That's a smashing example. Lovely 1810s facades saved. And all of the front structures, railings etc are original. Thanks for finding it.

The building was lucky to escape the full John Madin touch, he was only let loose on the back ! Image from Streetview below. Viv.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    132.8 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
alcester rd.JPG

In the late 70's or it might even have been the early 80's we worked on these houses on Alcester Road Moseley just adjacent to Louise Lorne Road. We didn't usually demolish houses as we were more on the industrial side of the game. Though as the main demolition contractor was a related and he asked for help because of all the hand work required so we got involved. The backs of these houses were completely removed and the frontage was supported by masses of scaffolding until the backs were rebuilt.

I suppose the main reason why not many buildings are given this treatment is because it is labour intensive and the cost is therefore higher. It's a sad reflection when you realise just how many beautiful historic buildings have been lost to Birmingham because of money.

Last edited:
Thanks Phil. Another good looking terrace - looks early - mid Victorian perhaps?

Below the CBSO centre on the corner of Berkley Street and Holliday Street. Although the CBSO centre was built in 1997 it retains a façade of Rowe's Lead Works on Berkley Street by H. Peter Hing (1921–22). Viv.

image.jpeg

Thanks Ell. Lovely detail on the Edmund Street terracotta facades.

Looks like the original Queens College facade was itself replaced. This is an early drawing of it from Dent. Viv.

image.jpeg

One more that I remembered taking. The Orion Building on John Bright Street

The following passage was in Pevsner Architectural Guides Birmingham (2005) by Andy Foster

On the west bulky flats by B.L.B. Architects, 2003-5, incorporating the facade of a hotel of 1899-1900 by A.B. Phipson: round arches with nice brick detail.

(Demolished 2002. a block of 1901 by Frederick W. Lloyd with a big shaped gable on the curve. An excellent landmark.)

I was watching an episode of Flog it over the week end, on there the host was describing the opposite happening with old Tudor houses, their entire frontages were removed and replaced with posh new fronts, doors and windows and leaving the rest in its original Tudor state.

Eric
I think that has been happening for centuries. Many buildings in,especially, smaller towns were re-fronted in the past to fit the current fashion, and when investigated today, though they look , say, Georgian , the centers have medieval construction

Am I right in thinking they were going to demolish the old PO by the Town Hall, but bowed to public pressure and retained the frontage ? Eric

Back