• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

F & M Coaches

Claribel

master brummie
I remember a coach company called F & M that was based in Northbrook Street Ladywood in the 1950s.
I dont know much about them except the F stood for Flynn and M stood for Mahoney. I had a friend that used to do a bit of part time driving for them taking workers to the Austin factory in Longbridge and picking them up again when they had finished work. The coaches were in red and cream livery.

Hello Claribel,

I recall this name but I cannot find any reference to them in the PSV Circle/Omnibus Soc fllet list publication that I have for Birmingham&Coventry (Issue 2PD11)
I cannot find the exact date of the list but Its probably early 70s and has no mention of F&M and they dont seen to have neen taken over by any of the operators that would later be taken over themselves by Bowens. So perhaps the logical conclusion to be drawn from this is that they just ceased trading sometime in the50s or 60s

Sorry I cant help out with this one. I can tell you that they aquired a coach from Bearwood Luxury Coaches (J.E.Morris &Sons Ltd) in June 1951 that being a 1946 Bedford OB with a Burlingham body reg JHA 264, but I dont suppose this is of much help!!

From Kellys

1949 Not listed, and no listing for 58 Wiggin St
1950 F. & M. LUXURY COACHES, motor coach proprietors, 58 Wiggin st 16. T N Edgbaston 0198
1955-62 F. & M. LUXURY COACHES (BARTON LTD.), motor coach proprs. Northbrook st- 16.Edgbaston 0198
1963 F. & M. Luxury Coaches Ltd. motor coach proprs. 11 Northbrook st 16 (Edgbaston 0198) & Dudley rd 18
1964-65 F. & M. Luxury Coaches Ltd. motor coach proprs. Dudley rd 18. Northern 6543
1966 they have disappeared.
No numberDudley road is given, but it is listed next to Summerfield Service station, between Western Road and Dudley Road hospital. Possibly they were based at the service station

Bearwood Luxury Coaches, thats another blast from the past. When I worked for Claribel coaches in the late 60s Ronnie Lees aquired a coach from them, I believe that it had a Burlingham body Reg No was 2050 HA, I remember taking it out on a August bank holiday trip and it poured with rain all day and the passengers had to have their brollies up inside the coach, needless to say not much bung that day, just earache.
Hello Claribel,

I recall this name but I cannot find any reference to them in the PSV Circle/Omnibus Soc fllet list publication that I have for Birmingham&Coventry (Issue 2PD11)
I cannot find the exact date of the list but Its probably early 70s and has no mention of F&M and they dont seen to have neen taken over by any of the operators that would later be taken over themselves by Bowens. So perhaps the logical conclusion to be drawn from this is that they just ceased trading sometime in the50s or 60s

Sorry I cant help out with this one. I can tell you that they aquired a coach from Bearwood Luxury Coaches (J.E.Morris &Sons Ltd) in June 1951 that being a 1946 Bedford OB with a Burlingham body reg JHA 264, but I dont suppose this is of much help!!

I remember Bearwood Coaches well because they were used for private hire at the school I attended in the 60s and probably the local church for its summer outing. I believe the proprietor Joe Morris was the brother of Harry Morris, one time proprietor of Gliderways, Bearwood, until he sold out to Stockland Green Coaches. I suspect the leaky coach with the Burlingham Body was one of the early 60s Ford Thames Traders, they had two I think and a similar chasssis with a Harrington Body all aquired new. The last coach I remember them having was a Ford R1114 with a Moseley (Salvador Caetano) Estoril body brand new and in a very attractive biege with brown stripes. The company was later taken over by Watts, of Lye and I once noticed what I think was the same coach in an awefull grey/blue livery.

Its interesting to note that quite a few local coach operators opted for the Ford chassis and not its direct lightweight equivalent the Bedford SB, VAM, YRQ range.

Hi. My grandfather was the F in F&M Coaches. Matthew Flynn. He passed in 2003. Nice to see the memories kept alive. Is there any specific information I can help with ? Regards.

Hi Patrick, First of all welcome to the forum, I hope that you enjoy it.

As regards F & M coaches, I started the thread off in march last year, the only reason being I used to work with one of the part time drivers and I used to go with him for a ride and on Sundays I used to have a drink with him in St Patricks club in Northbrook Street.
Regards Clive

Hi Clive, Well if anyone plans on doing a little research I can be contacted through this thread. I could probably dig out some info or photos sometime.
Regards Patrick.

Hi Patrick

Would be good to see any info you have - I don't remember F&M but would be interested to learn more about them and see any pics you might have.

Good that this thread rekindles some memories for you perhaps too.

Just a comment about Summerfield Service Station. In the middle sixties when I worked for Stockland Coaches I used to take the company van home at night and often visited my then girlfriend in Weoly Castle. One night I was on my way home to Perry Barr when the van broke down, to cut a long story short the chap who I assumed worked at Summerfield S/S towed me all the way back to Stockland Green and would take nothing in return, what a great chap he was.

This is the sort of thread I enjoy most on the forum when someone is looking into the history of a company etc then someone joins who has very close links.

Back