• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

F & H M Joiner

Heartland

master brummie
The firm of F Joiner, later F H M Joiner Ltd of 69 Water Street, Birmingham was a packing case maker whose premises adjoined the Metropolitan Theatre in Snow Hill. The buildings were built in the shape of an L, and had a frontage to both Snow Hill and Water Street.

These premises appear to be the subject of a recent reconstruction by developers, who have called them the Tram Sheds. The address is now 80 Water Street.

The section between Snow Hill station and Snow Hill had been occupied by a rolling mill, but that premises was lost with the enlargement of Snow Hill Station. The 1955 large scale ordnance survey shows a timber yard and an L shaped warehouse on the land on the South side of Water Street there. On March 2nd 1966 F H M Joiner Ltd of Water Street advertised for a Packing Case Maker in the Birmingham Daily Post.

This location is presently shown as the place of the Tram Sheds. So why the name? Developers are increasingly loosing track with historical accuracy, through creating names and titles with no connection to the past. Such a case is readily noticeable with the new waterside development in Wolverhampton called the "Banana Yard", which had taken an aspect of rail traffic, rather than considering the implications.

With Water Street, the developer noted that the building looked like a tram shed, instead of checking to see of any tram lines had been laid in Water Street.

But then, if they called the building the Packing Case Warehouse, may be it would not have the same effect!

The land between Water Street and the Birmingham & Fazeley Canal once had an important building that was known as Pickard's Flour Mill and this mill had an early steam engine for the grinding of the wheat into flour.

Water St=80.jpg

The building today

I quite agree, Heartland. Research into localities is difficult enough without developers laying false trails to confuse the researchers of the future. And add to that the pub chains that take a longstanding pub name and rename it something stupid like the Slug & Lettuce. My heart bleeds for researchers in the not too distant future with things such as privacy laws, same sex marriage, IVF, gender change, the lack of trade directories, and mobile phones and few businesses advertising in hard copy any longer.

Maurice :cool:

History. A seriously neglected subject by many educational institutions and people. At least we on BHF make our contributions, one way or another, to inform - possible educate - readers.
I know of a housing estate of the 1970's with the ending 'coombe' in its name. despite it being on quite a large high hill. Ignorance, they say, is bliss - that is quite subjective, not always being true.
Regarding pub names, it is pleasing to note that the Wetherspoon chain usually pick a name that has some connection with the area or a former notable resident.

Maybe Alan, but in that case George Orwell must have a strong association with Wolverhampton, Watford, Enfield, Manchester, Leicester Square, Norbury, wigan, cheltenham , Boston....

Maybe Alan, but in that case George Orwell must have a strong association with Wolverhampton, Watford, Enfield, Manchester, Leicester Square, Norbury, wigan, cheltenham , Boston....

You would be surprised:
I chose Cheltenham as I did not see a Wetherspoon in Wolverhampton) Addendum: Manchester has a place of the same name.

Actually for pub lovers - and their names in particular (BHF has quite a few) - the Wetherspoon list and the reasons for their names makes interesting reading when TV - as usual - is poor.

Back