• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

F.E.P.O.W's or family WW2

Have we on here, got any relatives of Far East Prisoner of war who belonged to the F.E.P.O.Ws Birmingham branch. Or who had a relative who served on Death Railway or "was a guest of the Emperor" I am trying to collate some History

Letters and telegrams and a list of camps Dad was in he was useful to the Japanese Military as he was a heavy goods mechanic and knew about loco,s

Attachments

• Dad.jpg.22.jpg
    Dad.jpg.22.jpg
    508.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Dad.jpg.23.jpg
    Dad.jpg.23.jpg
    909.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Dad.jpg.24.jpg
    Dad.jpg.24.jpg
    741.8 KB · Views: 24
  • Dad.jpg.28.jpg
    Dad.jpg.28.jpg
    379.9 KB · Views: 21
  • Dad.jpg.21.jpg
    Dad.jpg.21.jpg
    387.2 KB · Views: 21
wow i have never seen documents like this before how interesting thank you for sharing them with us all...i will be moving this thread to the ww2 discussion section as it will only get swallowed up under general discussion

lyn
Thank you Lyn its 75 years next year on the 15th August we are trying to get the end of the war completely recognised, as VE day is. I didn't know quite where to put the thread
Jan

There is an Adventure Documentary on YouTube called the Thailand-Burma Railway 2011: Tracing Shadows (over an hour long). A brother and sister set out to walk the present railway track in footsteps of an old Australian POW. It gives a very good idea of the horrendous conditions the POWs would have faced.

You can see from this why so many of the P.O.W's from Japan kept their mouths shut it was swept under the carpet by the government
The ordinary soldier was not allowed to tell his story as to what he witnessed but shortly after the war ended in the 1950s Lord Russell of Liverpool had a book published, The Knights of Bushido, detailing the gruesome deaths and suffering of those captured by the Japanese.

You can see from this why so many of the P.O.W's from Japan kept their mouths shut it was swept under the carpet by the government

Not directly related to war in the far East, but on the brutality shown in other places.

My late uncle was in the first British unit to enter the Belsen Concentration Camp. On his death I was left to clear out his possessions, and in a most obscure place I found a set of around 50 photographs. They protrayed inmates of the camp in a most pitiful state, and a few of dead naked and mutilated women. I asked my mother (his sister), and also his younger sister if he had ever talked of his experiences in the war, and they were unaware of any mention of Belsen.

After checking that he had indeed been connected with Belsen, I wanted to find a good secure home for the pictures and sent an email to the Imperial War Museum. I received a rather curt reply that they had numerous photographs of the camp and did not have any room for more.

As it happened I had a contact on an internet forum who lived in Israel, and I asked if he knew of anyone who could take the photos. His brother happened to be coming to London and I sent the photos to London. A few weeks later my contact told me he had taken the photographs to the Holocaust Museum and was told that were quite common and issued to various personnel at the time. However they were grateful of any pictures that were in existence and would be filed with a mention of the donor.

On 20 September 1945 the Courier and Advertiser reported “Official Gag on first Far East POWs to arrive" at Poole, Dorset, in a Southerland flying boat.

"the whole event was shrouded in secrecy, even the men concerned being warned against telling of the infamous cruelties of their captors."

One POW said..." We should be allowed to crack out at the Japs as hard as we can. At Rangoon the ban was lifted on atrocity stories and a spate of them went out. The first we knew of the ban in England was when we set foot in England.”

The question that intrigues me is just who in Government made this decision?

477D44EB-93B6-492A-9BA0-67F3F2C109BA.jpeg

The ordinary soldier was not allowed to tell his story as to what he witnessed but shortly after the war ended in the 1950s Lord Russell of Liverpool had a book published, The Knights of Bushido, detailing the gruesome deaths and suffering of those captured by the Japanese.
I think the worse one that Dad ever told us was the concrete that the bridge was made of had the body's of dead and dying soldiers put in them I was only about 10 when I heard that and Dad didn't even realise that he said it

On 20 September 1945 the Courier and Advertiser reported “Official Gag on first Far East POWs to arrive" at Poole, Dorset, in a Southerland flying boat.

"the whole event was shrouded in secrecy, even the men concerned being warned against telling of the infamous cruelties of their captors."

One POW said..." We should be allowed to crack out at the Japs as hard as we can. At Rangoon the ban was lifted on atrocity stories and a spate of them went out. The first we knew of the ban in England was when we set foot in England.”

The question that intrigues me is just who in Government made this decision?

View attachment 135416
Thanks Pete that's very interesting

Not directly related to war in the far East, but on the brutality shown in other places.

My late uncle was in the first British unit to enter the Belsen Concentration Camp. On his death I was left to clear out his possessions, and in a most obscure place I found a set of around 50 photographs. They protrayed inmates of the camp in a most pitiful state, and a few of dead naked and mutilated women. I asked my mother (his sister), and also his younger sister if he had ever talked of his experiences in the war, and they were unaware of any mention of Belsen.

After checking that he had indeed been connected with Belsen, I wanted to find a good secure home for the pictures and sent an email to the Imperial War Museum. I received a rather curt reply that they had numerous photographs of the camp and did not have any room for more.

As it happened I had a contact on an internet forum who lived in Israel, and I asked if he knew of anyone who could take the photos. His brother happened to be coming to London and I sent the photos to London. A few weeks later my contact told me he had taken the photographs to the Holocaust Museum and was told that were quite common and issued to various personnel at the time. However they were grateful of any pictures that were in existence and would be filed with a mention of the donor.
What gets me is how can people be so inhuman to other humans why are humans such nasty race

There is no doubt the Far East POWs have been treated badly, and not until the year 2000 was compensation agreed, some 55 years after they were liberated. There were still problems with errors in administration in 2007.

On the 6th June 2000 in the Commons, David Winnock, Walsall North...

“The point has been made that the Government at the time could have done more long ago to press for further compensation from Japan. In May 1955, the then Minister of State in the Foreign Office, Lord Reading, took the view that the Government should not take advantage of article 26 of the San Francisco treaty (1951). That treaty provided for further claims if Japan concluded agreements with other countries involving sums more advantageous than those originally agreed three years earlier. That was the position concerning Burma. The Government could have taken advantage of the situation at that time. They might not have been successful—who knows?—but at least they would have taken the opportunity. Lord Reading's point, which was not put into the public domain, was that the Government's pursuit of the matter would have been unpopular with the Japanese. What did he mean by that? Did we have a guilt complex? What would have made us more unpopular? Were we so unpopular in 1955? I find the decision somewhat odd but make no party point—the same decision was likely to have been reached even if another Government had been in power. However, the decision was wrong.”

Lord Reading, Gerald Rufus Isaacs (1899-1960), held Ministerial office 1951-57 in the Conservative Government under Churchill. They had just taken over from a Labour Government.

B3C6000E-8AAF-4F2F-AF8E-1A18C7F5B0C9.jpeg

The clip, from 17 August 1951, shows that Compensation for Far Eastern POWs were to begin. Lt-Gen Arthur Ernest Percival (1887-1966) spoke to former prisoners, but doesn’t promise much. He was the life president of the Far East Prisoners of War Association (FEPOW), he pushed for compensation for his fellow captives, eventually helping to obtain a token £5 million of frozen Japanese assets for this cause. This was distributed by the FEPOW Welfare Trust, on which Percival served as Chairman

AE Percival’s career can be seen on Wikipedia...

Arthur Ernest Percival (1887-1966) was Commander of Commonwealth Forces during the Japanese Malayan campaign, and subsequent Battle of Singapore. Winston Churchill had described the humiliation of Singapore as "the worst disaster and largest capitulation in British History." Percival had surrendered in spite of Churchhill’s instruction for prolonged resistance, and it looks like he was made a scapegoat. There are those however that suggest that the Government in London were more to blame than the Commanders. His dispatches were only published in 1948 and revised by the Government, and unlike many others was not awarded a knighthood.

Percival was held at Changi Prison in Singapore, and then along with other ranks above colonel he was removed to be imprisoned in Formosa, then sent on to Manchuria, where he was held with several dozen other VIP captives, including the American General Jonathan Wainwright, in a prisoner-of-war camp near Hsian, about 100 miles (160 km) to the north east of Mukden.

In the wiki account of Percival there are two contrasting pictures. The first is in Singapore where Percival can be seen at the table with Yamashita, who is banging his fist and demanding unconditional surrender. The second shows him with Wainwright behind MacArthur at the Japanese surrender. Percival and Wainwright then returned together to the Philippines to witness the surrender of the Japanese army there, which in a twist of fate was commanded by General Yamashita. On this occasion Percival refused to shake Yamashita's hand, angered by the mistreatment of POWs in Singapore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pedrocut. Many thanks for your valuable contribution this this post. Please bear in mind that this thread is the story of the experiences of an individual person that is both informative, emotional and also very interesting. I hope that we can develop this story further.

I am also acutely aware that while there is a lot to say about the treatment of POW’s, I would not like to see this thread overwhelmed by this, as this should be a separate discussion.

Thanks.

Back