• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

explosion at Ludlow's, Witton in 1870?

J

Julia

Does anyone have any info on an explosion that happened at a munitions factory (I think) called Ludlow's in 1870? I have come across 2 memorial cards regarding this tragic accident and am trying to find out more about it. See attached.

Any help would be much appreciated

Last edited by a moderator:
Julia
It was in the Munitions factory Kynocks IMI as you might now it as in the gunpowder dept

Cromwell

Many thanks for this. It sounds a tragic case and many lives lost, the cards fascinate me and I am hoping to do some research to find out what the connection was with my family - these cards have only just turned up after the death of an uncle who lived in Smethwick.

Thanks again for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
Julia, My wife worked at the IMI Witton for 23 years and I read a lot of the mags she bought home so I will try to find you a bit more info out about the incedent if its the one I am thinking of

Cromwell - Thank you that is very kind of you, it says on the cards that the incident happened on the 9th Dec 1870, it is hard to believe that the cards are 136yrs old and they werent even in an envelope! It was a long time before they had Health and Safety regulations and I guess working in this area was a very dangerous thing to do. I cannot any reference to this accident on any search engine I have tried so far.

Julia
The last bid explosion at the IMI was some Idiot ( but it might be the wrong term to use if he did not know any better) used an electric drill on a machine that was used for gunpowder and if you know how they work, they create sparks ( back then ) and blew the place to bits. He should have used an Air Drill
Very intrested in all you have to say as I know a bit about the 'munitions that were supplied to the armed forces of the time and if you want to know about the battles that were raging at the time just ask

Cromwell
That is interesting - I would like to find out as much as I can about both the accident and the era. I know it has been a long time ago but I did think that there might be more information on the web about it, I guess life was different in those days and they just got on with things, but it seems like they has been forgottern. I do know that there was an inquest so there must be more info available - I will have to get into the records offices in Birmingham when I am next there!

The only conflict I am aware of around that time was the franco-prussia war do you think they would have supplied munitions towards this?

Julia
After the Crimean war ended in 1855 so began the Indian Mutiny in 1857 and in the Days of the Raj we had become policemen of the World with our armies stationed all round the Globe so munitions were a big industry back then with the arsenals at London suppling our armies in a never ending stream
In 1882 the British were bombarding Cairo and we ended there till 1954
The Witton site has made munitions for years but I am not sure if they still do today
Keep posted what you find out

From Info on the Net
The contemporary reports make harrowing reading, most of the victims were young girls &
women, many could only be identified by fragments of clothing, some were never traced and 2 lost the babies they were carrying.

These names are taken from the newspaper reports in the days

Explosion at Messrs Ludlow's Ammunition Works, Witton, December 9 1870
Dead, missing and injured
Allcock, Elizabeth 45 M - Summer Lane -
Deceased Anson, -------
Barcott, Mary
Bennett, Mary Ann 26 M - Moseley Street
Bradley/Bradeley, Mary Ann 17 - 14Ct 6House Princip Street -
Deceased
Bragg, Ann 40 M - Richard Street nr the Gas House -
Deceased
Brookes, Ann 32 M - Lawrence Street
Brown, Maria 23 M - lodged at 26 Thomas Street (MORE) -
Deceased
Brown, Eliza
Brown, Catherine 16 - Charles Arthur Street (MORE) -
Deceased
Bullivant, Selina 27 - 17 Lower Tower Street (MORE) -
Deceased
Burcott, Mary 14 - Lichfield Street
Burcott/Burkitt, Mary 40 M - 3Ct 2House New John Street -
Deceased
Burns, Margaret 18 - 23 London Prentice Street - dau. of Ann (MORE) -
Deceased
Burton, Jane 24 M - 12 Park Street Butler, Mary Ann - mother of 2 -
Deceased
Cannon, Mary Ann - Lichfield Street - Deceased
Carrol(l), Kate 16 - 44 Fox Street
Chaffe, Joyce 30 M - Smith Street
Clarke, Elizabeth - Park Lane
Clarke/Clarks, Fanny 17 - Park Lane -
Deceased
Conway, Annie 19 - 4Ct 5House Princess/Princip Street - was pregnant, lost child
Croshaw, Elizabeth 40 - Summer Lane
Cross, Mary Ann
Dollman, Sophia 18 - Short Heath -
Missing, presumed dead
Dunn/Durn, Caroline Eades, Ann 17
Frossart, Lizzie - Portland Street/Aston Road Grant, --------
Green, Selina 24 M
Hanson, Emma 28 M - 28 Francis Street
Hateley, Louisa 31 Widow - dau of Caroline Hodge (MORE)
- Deceased
Henson, Sarah 28 - Bloomsbury Street
Hickman, Jane - Deceased
Hilliard, Lucy
Johnson, Elizabeth
Johnson, Jane 17 - 9Ct 4House Great Brook Street
Jones, Louisa - Bloomsbury Street - Deceased
Jones,------
Kingston, Mary 16 - 2Ct 1House New Thomas Street
Kingston, Bridget 38 M - New Thomas Street
Logan, Mary
McGawn, Ann 16 - 113 Upper Windsor Street
McKenna, Sarah - London Prentice Street - Deceased
Morgan, Charlotte
Morris,-------
Newton, Harriet 16 - Brewery Street
Nicholls, Elizabeth 37 M - New John Street
Noakes, Elizabeth 25 - Park Street Aston - Deceased
Nutt, -------
Owen, Mary Ann 19 M - wife of William (MORE) -
Deceased
Ratchford, Mary Ann
Reeves, Mary Ann
Renshaw, Ann
Shaw, Catherine 22 M - Deceased
Shea, Catherine abt.22 M - wife of Martin Cassidy (MORE) - Deceased
Shelley, Emily Shelley, Maria 36 M - 19 Hyde/High Park Street - Deceased
Siviter, Clara
Smith, Polly 15 - 1 BrightonPlace, Garrison Road - Deceased
Smith, Mary - 1 Brighton Place, Garrison St - dau of William (MORE) - Deceased
Smith, Harriet 16 - Garrison Street - dau of David (MORE) - Deceased
Swinterton, Alice 19 - Aston Park
Tanley, Harriet - Saltley Road - Missing
Taylor, Elizabeth 34- mother of 6 inc. Sarah Jane.  (MORE)  -
Deceased
Turner, Rose(?) Ward, Jane 15 - Garrison Street - dau of Edward & Susannah -
Deceased
Warde, Alice 17 - Brook Street
Watson, -------
Welch, Mary Ann - Deceased
Wheat, Mary Ann - Deceased
White, George 16 - High Street, Aston New Town -
Missing
White, Ann 21 - Nechells Park Road
White, Mary Ann
Williams, Emma 18 Park Road
Williams, Sarah 19 - Lichfield Road
Woodman, Mary Ann 17 - 20 or 29 Inge Street
Woodman, Amelia (Snr) 39 m - Deceased
Woodman, Amelia (Jnr)

Also the following are mentioned in reports of the inquest:
Bridcut, John - foreman of the jury
Davis, Birt(?), Dr. - Borough Coroner
Fox, Mary wife of Thomas - 14 Weaman Street (MORE)
Hooper, Edwin - District Coroner
Morgan, Rose wife of ------ Winspear - Thomas Street (MORE)
Smith, Syviter  - solicitor for Ludlow's
Starkey, John - works manager at Ludlow's (MORE)
Taylor, Sarah Jane (MORE)
Woollaston, Supt. - police officer giving evidence (MORE)

there seem to be a few new people on the list - here's that list
of names of dead/injured in the 1870 Witton munitions explosion
again.  .

Explosion at Messrs Ludlow's Ammunition Works, Witton, December 9 1870
Dead, missing and injured
Allcock, Elizabeth 45 M - Summer Lane - Deceased
Anson, -------
Barcott, Mary
Bennett, Mary Ann 26 M - Moseley Street
Bradley/Bradeley, Mary Ann 17 - 14Ct 6House Princip Street - Deceased
Bragg, Ann 40 M - Richard Street nr the Gas House - Deceased
Brookes, Ann 32 M - Lawrence Street
Brown, Maria 23 M - lodged at 26 Thomas Street (MORE) - Deceased
Brown, Eliza Brown, Catherine 16 -
Charles Arthur Street (MORE) - Deceased
Bullivant, Selina 27 - 17 Lower Tower Street (MORE) - Deceased
Burcott, Mary 14 - Lichfield Street
Burcott/Burkitt, Mary 40 M - 3Ct 2House New John Street - Deceased
Burns, Margaret 18 - 23 London Prentice Street - dau. of Ann (MORE) - Deceased
Burton, Jane 24 M - 12 Park Street
Butler, Mary Ann - mother of 2 - Deceased
Cannon, Mary Ann - Lichfield Street - Deceased
Carrol(l), Kate 16 - 44 Fox Street
Chaffe, Joyce 30 M - Smith Street
Clarke, Elizabeth - Park Lane
Clarke/Clarks, Fanny 17 - Park Lane - Deceased
Conway, Annie 19 - 4Ct 5House Princess/Princip Street - was pregnant, lost child Crowshaw, Elizabeth 40 - Summer Lane
Cross, Mary Ann
Dollman, Sophia 18 - Short Heath - Missing, presumed dead
Dunn/Durn, Caroline
Eades, Ann 17
Frossart, Lizzie - Portland Street/Aston Road
Grant, --------
Green, Selina 24 M
Hanson, Emma 28 M - 28 Francis Street
Hateley, Louisa 31 Widow - dau of Caroline Hodge (MORE) - Deceased
Henson, Sarah 28 - Bloomsbury Street
Hickman, Jane - Deceased
Hilliard, Lucy
Johnson, Elizabeth
Johnson, Jane 17 - 9Ct 4House Great Brook Street
Jones, Louisa - Bloomsbury Street - Deceased
Jones,------
Kingston, Mary 16 - 2Ct 1House New Thomas Street
Kingston, Bridget 38 M - New Thomas Street
Logan, Mary
McGawn, Ann 16 - 113 Upper Windsor Street
McKenna, Sarah - London Prentice Street - Deceased
Morgan, Charlotte
Morris,-------
Newton, Harriet 16 - Brewery Street
Nicholls, Elizabeth 37 M - New John Street
Noakes, Elizabeth 25 - Park Street Aston - Deceased
Nutt, -------
Owen, Mary Ann 19 M - wife of William (MORE) - Deceased
Ratchford, Mary Ann
Reeves, Mary Ann
Renshaw, Ann
Shaw, Catherine 22 M - Deceased
Shea, Catherine abt.22 M - wife of Martin Cassidy (MORE) - Deceased
Shelley, Emily
Shelley, Maria 36 M - 19 Hyde/High Park Street - Deceased
Siviter, Clara
Smith, Polly 15 - 1 BrightonPlace, Garrison Road - Deceased
Smith, Mary - 1 Brighton Place, Garrison St - dau of William (MORE) - Deceased
Smith, Harriet 16 - Garrison Street - dau of David (MORE) - Deceased
Swinterton, Alice 19 - Aston Park
Tanley, Harriet - Saltley Road - Missing
Taylor, Elizabeth 34- mother of 6 inc. Sarah Jane.  (MORE)  - Deceased
Turner, Rose(?) Ward, Jane 15 - Garrison Street - dau of Edward & Susannah - Deceased Warde, Alice 17 - Brook Street
Watson, -------
Welch, Mary Ann - Deceased
Wheat, Mary Ann - Deceased
White, George 16 - High Street, Aston New Town - Missing
White, Ann 21 - Nechells Park Road
White, Mary Ann
Williams, Emma 18 Park Road
Williams, Sarah 19 - Lichfield Road
Woodman, Mary Ann 17 - 20 or 29 Inge Street
Woodman, Amelia (Snr) 39 M - Deceased Woodman, Amelia (Jnr)

Also the following are mentioned in reports of the inquest:
Bridcut, John - foreman of the jury
Davis, Birt(?), Dr. - Borough Coroner
Fox, Mary wife of Thomas - 14 Weaman Street (MORE)
Hooper, Edwin - District Coroner
Morgan, Rose wife of ------
All the people doing family research and get stuck,well things like this happened a lot in the Munitions factories.

I should have some trade leaflets dated 1884 coming soon so will post them when i get them of the old Lion works at Witton who made Munitions etc.

Julia
The Cap Priming sheds at Kynochs were erected in 1862 and we (England) had been suppling ammo and gunpowder for the American civil war, the Zulu wars etc.and ever since.

Cromwell
Many thanks for this info, I imagine the conditions that these people worked in were nothing at all like they are today and that personal safety came well down in the list of priorities! It certainly brings history alive when you find out these things from personal testament etc.  I still havent found out the family connection yet (and maybe there isnt one) but I will continue to research and will let you know whatever I come across.

From a snippet I have found in paper dated Dec 10th 1870 Death toll had risen to 51

I’m wondering if it’s correct to say that the 9th December 1870 Witton explosion was at Kynoch’s.

It was said that in the 1870s there were four serious explosions in two years at Kynoch’s culminating in one in November 1870 when "28 people were injured, at least eight of whom subsequently died, including a boy of 10 and a girl of 8". But all the references to the December one which was even more serious seem to specify "Ludlow’s" or "Ludlow and Co". only. The Times Archive in particular has much information on this accident, including its precise location and the comment that it occurred "in close proximity to Messrs. Kynoch’s factory". I am not aware of an association between Ludlow’s and Kynoch’s other than the fact that they seem to be next door to each other but I should be very grateful if anyone can provide further information on this.

Ludlow and Co. appear to have been well-known ammunition manufacturers with a factory in Wolverhampton at some stage but it seems clear that they also operated on a large scale for a time at Witton. One journal reports: 'Awful Explosion near Birmingham - the cartridge factory of Messrs Ludlow situate at Witton ...situate in a large field between Aston and Perry Barr’. The December explosion, perhaps following others so closely, seems to have prompted a national outcry.

Kynoch’s were only at Witton because of the appalling safety record of the original company located in central Birmingham. The move came about because the rural area of Witton was deemed more appropriate for the risks of major explosion which were involved. Did the attractions of the area prompt the arrival of other manufacturers as well?

A cursory internet search suggests that some research was done some time ago on the individuals involved in the Ludlow’s incident by someone called "Jill" which might be useful to Julia (unless of course they are the same person!)

Chris

(A short history of Kynoch’s: https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/KOtherInformationKynoch.htm)

According to Showells Dictionary, there was two explosions,

At Kynoch's, Witton, Nov. 17, 1870, resulting in 8 deaths and 28
injured.

--At Ludlow's ammunition factory, Dec. 9, 1870, when 17 were
killed and 53 injured, of whom 34 more died before Christmas

I was working at that site in 1973 in the rolling mill, the whole site was littered with bunkered buildings, all part of the ammunition production and seperated into small sections so that if there was an accident less people where involved. I was working the day Sporting Ammunition went up, six killed and fifteen injured and even then it was mostly women doing the work.

Bit of history for the site ---

https://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/KOtherInformationKynochV2B.htm

bren

Thanks very much for that, Cromwell. It’s dreadful but fascinating.

You say it’s not Witton but there is in fact a strong association. What is interesting about it is that it commemorates an event which took place in Whittall Street when an explosion devastated the Pursall and Phillips factory and some of the surrounding area. This company was a manufacturer of percussion caps and George Kynoch had joined it three years earlier. The disaster prompted calls for the removal of this type of activity from built-up areas and whilst the Company continued to operate from the city centre, in 1861 its directors bowed to the pressure and obtained a licence to erect a powder magazine and percussion cap factory in the wide open spaces and rural calm of Witton with its population of 184 unsuspecting residents. By the time that the new factory was ready in 1862 George Kynoch had assumed control and ran an organisation comprising one man and 12 girls. Accommodation was a large double shed, one half new and the other half having been trundled on rollers from the original factory (see below).

It remained a hazardous business (as bren points out, with a major accident as recently as 1973). Whilst the percussion cap activity of 1870 was well run and safe, the cartridge activity was not and it was this type of manufacture which suffered the disasters of that year, both at Kynoch’s and next-door at Ludlow’s. (It seems possible, by the way, that Ludlow’s operated as a licensee of Kynoch, but were otherwise a separate company).

So it was this dreadful disaster in central Birmingham which led directly to the establishment of the huge manufacturing complex at Witton which survived as an entity until late in the 20th century but the evidence of whose evidence is already almost completely lost. Not much consolation to the mothers of the lost children though.

Chris

Think I've found the Fanny Dollman on the memorial, on the 1851 census, DOB and occupation fit.

: DOLLMAN, William
William DOLLMAN Head M 24 M Blank Tray Maker Birmingham----
Fanny DOLLMAN Wife M 22 F Percussion Cap Maker Birmingham----
Sarah DOLLMAN Daur - 5 F Scholar Birmingham----
George DOLLMAN Son - 4 M Scholar Belston-STF
Elizabeth DOLLMAN Daur - 2m F --- Birmingham----
Sarah WHITE Serv - 17 F Serv Birmingham----
Address: Back Of 72 New John St West, Birmingham
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire

Julia,
Just joined the forum and found this thread. My 2x great-grandmother was Elizabeth Taylor and she was the first of the casualties to die in the Infirmary. I have a report of the inquest as reported in the Birmingham Daily Post of 14 December 1870 and of its conclusion reported in the Derby Mercury on 25 January 1871. I also have another newspaper article published in the Birmingham Daily Post of 15 December 1870 which publishes a letter by my 2x great-grandfather querying why his daughter Sarah was called to give evidence when he had been the last person to see her body and also corrects some of the information given by Sarah. If you are still interested in the Witton information and have not found yet found reports of the accident let me know and I will attempt to attach copies.

hi blairden and a warm welcome to the forum..your information sound really good but unfortuately julia is now only a guest member and therefore she will not be able to reply to your post...as as a guest she will be able to read your post so if she does she may re apply for full membership so that she can post a reply to you..

hope you enjoy the forum..

lyn

Think I've found the Fanny Dollman on the memorial, on the 1851 census, DOB and occupation fit.

: DOLLMAN, William
William DOLLMAN Head M 24 M Blank Tray Maker Birmingham----
Fanny DOLLMAN Wife M 22 F Percussion Cap Maker Birmingham----
Sarah DOLLMAN Daur - 5 F Scholar Birmingham----
George DOLLMAN Son - 4 M Scholar Belston-STF
Elizabeth DOLLMAN Daur - 2m F --- Birmingham----
Sarah WHITE Serv - 17 F Serv Birmingham----
Address: Back Of 72 New John St West, Birmingham
Census Place: Birmingham Birmingham, Warwickshire

Thank you for the information. I have all this family in my family tree. Can I please ask you the following :-
Do you mean that Fanny and Sarah were both killed in the munitions explosion ?
Which memorial are you referring to ?
What is a percussion cap ?

Thank you for your assistance

Does anyone have any info on an explosion that happened at a munitions factory (I think) called Ludlow's in 1870? I have come across 2 memorial cards regarding this tragic accident and am trying to find out more about it. See attached.

Any help would be much appreciated
The Explosion of the 9th of December 1870 at Ludlow and Co. (10th Dec part 1) The headline in the Birmingham Daily Post for the 10th of December 1870 reads... FEARFUL EXPLOSION at Ludlow’s Ammunition Factory, Witton.....Twenty young Women Killed...Fifty injured. There follows a very extensive description of events that unfortunately, due to the copyright of the National Archives, cannot be reproduced. The Post goes on to report that between 12 and 1.00pm on the previous day several thunderous roars were heard one after another. Residents in the vicinity of Witton knew too well the meaning of those reverberating peals...They recollected the dismal record of bloody sacrifices to the Moloch who had fixed his seat of worship amongst them, they pressaged one more melancholy chapter to the already sickening list.."Another explosion at the Catridge Factory." Flames rose from the low sheds of Ludlow and Co in Witton Lane, and in the calcinating heat lay corpse upon corpse of women..."for when Death surprised them by the explosion of the deadly material in which they worked, they were engaged in manufacture of cartridges for the armies of France. Continuing under the heading RECOVERY OF BOODIES it explains that the explosion started in the priming shed, where about 60 women were employed; many attempts of rescue were made, including by men from the nearby Kynoch works. Relatives had to helplessly watch the funeral pyre for what may have been an hour, until all that was left was a heap of charred wood, and in the centre lay a stove. Seventeen bodies were removed with as much decency as possible and placed in nearby sheds, 5 were taken to the Witton Arms Public House 300 yards away; many were dismembered an unrecognizeable. There are gruesome accounts of body parts being found in the nearby field. THE WRECK...After the fire had died out the charred remains of the sheds could be seen, as the snow fell, on the darkening December afternoon. From about 20 sheds 3 were completely destroyed while the others remained in skeleton form. The Post regret that details can not be given of the work carried out as the Manager of the site would not forward any information, although the Manager spoke to Mr Kynoch some three hours after the event. The questions are asked as to why stoves should be in proximity to gunpowder; should not cartridges, once primed, be removed; why do the hoppers remain in the shed following the recent explosion at Kynoch. The sheds were guarded by Police during the night.

Julia,
Just joined the forum and found this thread. My 2x great-grandmother was Elizabeth Taylor and she was the first of the casualties to die in the Infirmary. I have a report of the inquest as reported in the Birmingham Daily Post of 14 December 1870 and of its conclusion reported in the Derby Mercury on 25 January 1871. I also have another newspaper article published in the Birmingham Daily Post of 15 December 1870 which publishes a letter by my 2x great-grandfather querying why his daughter Sarah was called to give evidence when he had been the last person to see her body and also corrects some of the information given by Sarah. If you are still interested in the Witton information and have not found yet found reports of the accident let me know and I will attempt to attach copies.
Might be this...….
The Explosion of the 9th of December 1870 at Ludlow and Co. (10th Dec part 1) The headline in the Birmingham Daily Post for the 10th of December 1870 reads... FEARFUL EXPLOSION at Ludlow’s Ammunition Factory, Witton.....Twenty young Women Killed...Fifty injured. There follows a very extensive description of events that unfortunately, due to the copyright of the National Archives, cannot be reproduced. The Post goes on to report that between 12 and 1.00pm on the previous day several thunderous roars were heard one after another. Residents in the vicinity of Witton knew too well the meaning of those reverberating peals...They recollected the dismal record of bloody sacrifices to the Moloch who had fixed his seat of worship amongst them, they pressaged one more melancholy chapter to the already sickening list.."Another explosion at the Catridge Factory." Flames rose from the low sheds of Ludlow and Co in Witton Lane, and in the calcinating heat lay corpse upon corpse of women..."for when Death surprised them by the explosion of the deadly material in which they worked, they were engaged in manufacture of cartridges for the armies of France. Continuing under the heading RECOVERY OF BOODIES it explains that the explosion started in the priming shed, where about 60 women were employed; many attempts of rescue were made, including by men from the nearby Kynoch works. Relatives had to helplessly watch the funeral pyre for what may have been an hour, until all that was left was a heap of charred wood, and in the centre lay a stove. Seventeen bodies were removed with as much decency as possible and placed in nearby sheds, 5 were taken to the Witton Arms Public House 300 yards away; many were dismembered an unrecognizeable. There are gruesome accounts of body parts being found in the nearby field. THE WRECK...After the fire had died out the charred remains of the sheds could be seen, as the snow fell, on the darkening December afternoon. From about 20 sheds 3 were completely destroyed while the others remained in skeleton form. The Post regret that details can not be given of the work carried out as the Manager of the site would not forward any information, although the Manager spoke to Mr Kynoch some three hours after the event. The questions are asked as to why stoves should be in proximity to gunpowder; should not cartridges, once primed, be removed; why do the hoppers remain in the shed following the recent explosion at Kynoch. The sheds were guarded by Police during the night.

Back