• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

'Exclusive' Aston

Macca

master brummie
Hi all,

While searching the 1881 census I came across an address listed as 160 Exclusive, Aston. Can anybody tell me where this would have been?

Thanks Macca

Macca

I have found 164 & 165 Exclusive uninhabited. (Gt Lister St, Aston)

Doesn't it just mean that the enumerator hasn't recorded anything because they aren't occupied?

Suzanne

Hi Suzanne,

166 Exclusive was inhabited by the Jester family, so I guess it must be an address. At least I know now that it was Gt Lister St, thank you.

Macca

Hi Macca

Looking at the original census form for the Jester family they are directly beneath 164 - 165 Exclusive. The Jester family has 166 against their entry and the street name is at the top of the form so it could be that when the site transcribed from the census they assumed the Exclusive applied to 166 also?

Suzanne

That seems very likely Suzanne, especially as it looks like 166 are one side of the Schofiled st junction , and the other two, or at least 164 , are the other side. 164.165 are noy listed in any directory I have, but counting back from where other shops must be would seem to make it very likely / almost certain that 164 is the other side of the junction

Back