• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Exchange Building

Really good thread, don't know how I missed it for so long. I always wondered what most of the building contained. The part of the building I frequented were the vaults.

Encaustic tiles on the floor, deep green tiles on walls and vaulted roof between the pillars.

The reason for being down there: midland bands like Cock a Hoop and Family. Never heard of this venue mentioned on the forum

Interesting acoustics and moisture shedding walls. Not sure where the entrance was but suspect it was through the Mitchell and Butlers pub 'The Exchange'. Could be wrong, no doubt someone will tell me.

The venue must have been pre-demolition 1965. The vaults were originally the wine cellars and/or the boiler room. I suppose in the 1960s it might have been emulating the Cavern in Liverpool. Must have been atmospheric as a music venue. An interesting snippet of Exchange history. Thanks Robert. Viv.

I had a vague memory of seeing The Animals around 1965/66, underneath what is now New Street Station but for the life of me, until now, couldn’t figure out where the venue could have been. Reading this thread has bought it back to me, it was probably as Robert has said, may be through the Exchange Pub. It was quite dark in there and I think you are right Viv they were trying to be like the Cavern. I can feel the atmosphere now, packed and a good music scene. Quite dark in there. Jen

Glad to hear someone else remembers. The part of the Vaults being used were pristine, high quality tiling with square pillars equally spaced with the vaulting between them. Very unlike the railway arch venues. Jen is right it was very dark.

Thank you Robert for mentioning this venue, great to have a better vision of where I saw The Animals. So many of us on this Forum may have rubbed shoulders at one time or another. Love the info and history on here. Thanks to all. Jen

A end for the Exchange Building In 1965. The demolition uncovered a time capsule. When originally placed beneath the foundation stone in 1863, corn, oil and wine were ceremoniously poured over the bottle. This seems to have been mainly a Masonic ritual and I wondered why it was carried out at the Exchange. And 3 newspapers ? Was this politics at play ? Viv.

911C0A7B-21A4-44DF-8D89-2AB6F14A7FD7.jpeg
8500DADA-C60E-4694-BF11-B5ED904CB87D.jpeg
Source: British Newspaper Archives.

Back