• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ex Royal Irish Constabulary

maureenlewis

Little Mo
My grandfather retired as a Sergeant from the RIC and received a pension. He brought his family to Birmingham and continued to have his pension paid to him from the Birmingham City Police but was officially retired. Does anyone know where I can obtain dates of when this happened? The family does not appear on the 1901 Census but are on the 1911 Census where he is shown as an officer of the NSPCC. I wonder whether he was actually in service in Birmingham.
I gather he became manager of a cinema in Digbeth/Deritend and used to bring home the takings in a wooden box (which, incidentally, I still have)
His name was Patrick Joseph Stokes born c1881 and he came from Tipperary in Ireland although he was born in Longford as his father was also a member of the RIC and travelled around.
Any ideas anyone?

There are RIC pension records available on findmypast and there are a couple of Patrick Stokes. For one of them (a Sergeant) under the where paid heading it lists Birmingham and the date given is 1906.

Don't know what info is provided, you have to register to see the actual records. Though someone else might be able to help further.

My grandfather retired as a Sergeant from the RIC and received a pension. He brought his family to Birmingham and continued to have his pension paid to him from the Birmingham City Police but was officially retired. Does anyone know where I can obtain dates of when this happened? The family does not appear on the 1901 Census but are on the 1911 Census where he is shown as an officer of the NSPCC. I wonder whether he was actually in service in Birmingham.
I gather he became manager of a cinema in Digbeth/Deritend and used to bring home the takings in a wooden box (which, incidentally, I still have)
His name was Patrick Joseph Stokes born c1881 and he came from Tipperary in Ireland although he was born in Longford as his father was also a member of the RIC and travelled around.
Any ideas anyone?
Hi Maureen, I have been conducting family tree research on my own family (Stokes) and it appears that we share common ancestry. Patrick Joseph Stokes, born in Drumlish in Longford was a brother of John Stokes (my great grandfather). Their father (also Patrick Stokes) would be your great grandfather and my great great grandfather. I have some more information on him and back a further two generations (originating in Ballyerk in Tipperary). I was aware he moved to Birmingham and indeed worked as a cinema manager so it is great to have that confirmed. If you are interested in some more of the details I have just let me know. John

Hi Maureen, I have been conducting family tree research on my own family (Stokes) and it appears that we share common ancestry. Patrick Joseph Stokes, born in Drumlish in Longford was a brother of John Stokes (my great grandfather). Their father (also Patrick Stokes) would be your great grandfather and my great great grandfather. I have some more information on him and back a further two generations (originating in Ballyerk in Tipperary). I was aware he moved to Birmingham and indeed worked as a cinema manager so it is great to have that confirmed. If you are interested in some more of the details I have just let me know. John
I was very pleased to have your note because I have tried to piece together the Stokes brothers five of whom were members of the RIC. All I have of John (your great grandfather) is his date of birth 23/06/1857 and a marriage to Margaret Hart.

I am very keen to find the marriage records of Patrick to Brigid Burke and find her very elusive.

I am very interested to hear of another branch of my family tree!

Do you have a family tree anywhere where we can put our resources together? I have one on Genes ReUnited that is getattable; Or we could talk.

Last edited:
Maureen
We advise not to put telephone numbers or email addresses on open forum, in case it results in spam. You can send a personal message by clicking on the envelope on the top right of the page. this will be seen by yourself and the respondent only. You may delete your post by clicking on "Edit" at the bottom of your post

Maureen
We advise not to put telephone numbers or email addresses on open forum, in case it results in spam. You can send a personal message by clicking on the envelope on the top right of the page. this will be seen by yourself and the respondent only. You may delete your post by clicking on "Edit" at the bottom of your post
Thank you. Before I delete it is there any way of sending my reply through the mail to save me retyping it please?

Had a look for the marriage but couldn't spot one. Found Bridget in 1901 & 1911 and her death.

Patrick's year of birth is listed as 1863 in 1911 and as an Inspector for the NSPCC.

I was very pleased to have your note because I have tried to piece together the Stokes brothers five of whom were members of the RIC. All I have of John (your great grandfather) is his date of birth 23/06/1857 and a marriage to Margaret Hart.

I am very keen to find the marriage records of Patrick to Brigid Burke and find her very elusive.

Do you have a family tree anywhere where we can put our resources together? I have one on Genes ReUnited that is getattable; Or we could talk.

Last edited:

Dear John

I am really very pleased to be talking to a member of the Stokes family. Patrick was my grandfather, my mother was Eveleen Stokes who married a Lewis and then I married a Ramsay; much easier for you men who keep the same name! Having said that our ancestors keep the same christian names.
I have met Margaret, Auntie Maggie, as when I was a child we spent many holidays in Ireland and slept in a HUGE feather bed at the family home in Littleton Thurles. I would like to find out more about that house because I suspect it could have been annexed after Auntie Clara died. I was at Two Mile Borris Cemetary 2 years ago and have pictures of the family grave. It had Patrick (senior) Margaret, my Auntie Clara, Bridget and I'll have to ask my daughter who the other is. I have photos but they are difficult to decipher.
There is little about John and Catharine apart from their date of marriage 14/1/1834 ay Ballyerk. These people were largely farmers and very few records survive even if they were there in the first place.
I think in the RIC they served in Navan - at least according to my Mother who had memories of it. A bit vague though.
No I am not in Birmingham; I live in Sussex. And you? We must chat sometime,
Hope that tells you a bit.
Oh yes. I was in Kilgeever 2 years ago and we combed every cemetary from East Mayo to Connemara in the pouring rain. Never forget it!

Dear John

I am really very pleased to be talking to a member of the Stokes family. Patrick was my grandfather, my mother was Eveleen Stokes who married a Lewis and then I married a Ramsay; much easier for you men who keep the same name! Having said that our ancestors keep the same christian names.
I have met Margaret, Auntie Maggie, as when I was a child we spent many holidays in Ireland and slept in a HUGE feather bed at the family home in Littleton Thurles. I would like to find out more about that house because I suspect it could have been annexed after Auntie Clara died. I was at Two Mile Borris Cemetary 2 years ago and have pictures of the family grave. It had Patrick (senior) Margaret, my Auntie Clara, Bridget and I'll have to ask my daughter who the other is. I have photos but they are difficult to decipher.
There is little about John and Catharine apart from their date of marriage 14/1/1834 ay Ballyerk. These people were largely farmers and very few records survive even if they were there in the first place.
I think in the RIC they served in Navan - at least according to my Mother who had memories of it. A bit vague though.
Oh yes. I was in Kilgeever 2 years ago and we combed every cemetary from East Mayo to Connemara in the pouring rain. Never forget it!
John. This page defeats me a little. Could we exchange email addresses or phone numbers? I can't make head or tail of how I do it on this site!

Click on the name of the person next to their avatar. Then click "start a conversation". That message will only be visible to you and the other person. Replies will show as a ref number by the little envelope at the top of the page.
There are other ways but I find that easiest.

Dear John

Back