• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ex Pats and Brummies abroad

Wendy,

Perhaps we need a few heavy snow falls or something! They say that they can already treat the symptoms with four antibiotics that are already on the market, and I would certainly recommend that people get the one-off pneumonia vaccine, which gives you protection for life, as in many cases it is the pneumonia that finishes you off!

Nice day here, but quite cold, and high blustery winds. The onset of Lent on Monday here, summer can't be very far behind :) Stay safe Wendy.

Maurice :cool:

Wendy,

Perhaps we need a few heavy snow falls or something! They say that they can already treat the symptoms with four antibiotics that are already on the market, and I would certainly recommend that people get the one-off pneumonia vaccine, which gives you protection for life, as in many cases it is the pneumonia that finishes you off!

Nice day here, but quite cold, and high blustery winds. The onset of Lent on Monday here, summer can't be very far behind :) Stay safe Wendy.

Oooh you must be coming into Spring Maurice, how lovely , Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons. I will certainly be having the pneumonia vaccine this winter when we have our flu jabs.

We are officially in Autumn, we will still get very warm days but I do love the cooler weather we get and the misty evening sometimes, its a relief from hot summers here.

On another note, Hope I can pop this in here ....the fires in Victoria, Australia ( bottom of Australia) are now "under control" but still burning.
The wildlife is still struggling but the wildlife carers working all hours to care for them and still searching for injured and starving animals who have no habitat to feed off. Koalas only eat eucalyptus leaves! Australia and the world have been amazing , financially and physically with vets and carers helping to rebuild enclosures, search for and treat injured animals etc. There has been many donations of medications and building materials and crafted pouches and blankets for the animals
The facebook craft guild I follow have been inundated with Pouches and hanging bags, blankets , bat wraps etc. They ask sanctuaries and carers to fill in forms of items they require then send them out it is a great set up.
I have been sewing pouches and hanging bags , I donated mine locally as the fire impacted areas are being supplied, there are still tons of crafted stuff still flying in from all corners of the world.
The crafters of the world have united, it has been amazing.
These are a few of the pouches/bags I donated locally . I am still sewing as I have really enjoyed being involved, our wildlife will need help for may years, some wildlife may have to be located as their habitat is totally decimated.

Look after yourselves everyone with this coronavirus spreading,
thinking of you all,
Wendy

IMAG0767.jpg

IMAG0748.jpg

IMAG0734.jpg

Fantastic work, Wendy, I'm sure the poor animals will appreciate your labours. Still battling a cold/'flu here and it always seems a lot more difficult to deal with when you're older. But at least now I'm retired I don't have to worry about going to work or going anywhere in fact! :)

Fantastic work, Wendy, I'm sure the poor animals will appreciate your labours. Still battling a cold/'flu here and it always seems a lot more difficult to deal with when you're older. But at least now I'm retired I don't have to worry about going to work or going anywhere in fact! :)

Oh thats not good Maurice, just keep resting, your warmer weather will soon be here I always think we are healthier in the warmer weather. :)

Wendy xx

Every time, Wendy, I've never been a fan of the winter weather, but with such unsettled weather as we have been getting in recent years, we could well be getting more rain here, He haven't had a lot so far this winter, unlike the UK. As all our water comes from boreholes in this limestone island, so we could do with more steady, not heavy, rain to top supplies up. But we have bright sunlight today, but I'll resist the temptation to go outside.

Every time, Wendy, I've never been a fan of the winter weather, but with such unsettled weather as we have been getting in recent years, we could well be getting more rain here, He haven't had a lot so far this winter, unlike the UK. As all our water comes from boreholes in this limestone island, so we could do with more steady, not heavy, rain to top supplies up. But we have bright sunlight today, but I'll resist the temptation to go outside.

Mmmm I love spring and autumn Maurice and I must admit dont even mind winter haha.
Oh, well I guess if you need rain it would be good to have some rain just steady.
I know uk has had unsettled stormy weather on and off the last few weeks as I speak to my sister on Skype every sunday.
You enjoy the sun today.
I am watching a depressing news extra on the coronavirus :oops: travel warnings, dont go into crowded areas, dont hug, kiss or shake hands with people!! Buy a few extra groceries in case you need to self quarantine for 14 days...if you feel ill get tested and self quarantine till you get results....but dont panic ....hmmmph .
Think I might be at home for a while , garden might get make over haha. Or my sewing machine will get another battering haha.
Has anyone on this forum in the Uk or any of our ex pats in other countries had any warnings about coronavirus?? There has been a ban here in Australia for few weeks from planes from China and now Iran and a "warning" to reconsider if you are travelling to Italy.... I am not travelling anywhere right now especially on a ship or plane :scream:

Wendy

Oooh you must be coming into Spring Maurice, how lovely , Spring and Autumn are my favourite seasons. I will certainly be having the pneumonia vaccine this winter when we have our flu jabs.

We are officially in Autumn, we will still get very warm days but I do love the cooler weather we get and the misty evening sometimes, its a relief from hot summers here.

On another note, Hope I can pop this in here ....the fires in Victoria, Australia ( bottom of Australia) are now "under control" but still burning.
The wildlife is still struggling but the wildlife carers working all hours to care for them and still searching for injured and starving animals who have no habitat to feed off. Koalas only eat eucalyptus leaves! Australia and the world have been amazing , financially and physically with vets and carers helping to rebuild enclosures, search for and treat injured animals etc. There has been many donations of medications and building materials and crafted pouches and blankets for the animals
The facebook craft guild I follow have been inundated with Pouches and hanging bags, blankets , bat wraps etc. They ask sanctuaries and carers to fill in forms of items they require then send them out it is a great set up.
I have been sewing pouches and hanging bags , I donated mine locally as the fire impacted areas are being supplied, there are still tons of crafted stuff still flying in from all corners of the world.
These are a few of the pouches/bags I donated locally . I am still sewing as I have really enjoyed being involved, our wildlife will need help for may years, some wildlife may have to be located as their habitat is totally decimated.

thinking of you all,
Wendy

View attachment 142472

View attachment 142474

View attachment 142475
Wendy my wife is a quilter and sower, her guild in the US has been sewing like crazy for this program! Three of our grand children who live in Franklin TN and also sewing for the cause.
Great cause...…...

thinking of you all,
Wendy

View attachment 142472

View attachment 142474

View attachment 142475
well done and thanks.

Some Christmas Cake you've got on that table, ah, but then of course you are in America, so I suppose that s considered medium size. By the way back to the saddle, were you one of those in the forties and fifties leather thonged your saddle underneath to tighten it?
Bob
Yes, prevented sagging. Brooks swallow saddle's had a leather brace underneath and a tension nut under the front but still with time they would sag a bit. I rode a Brooks B17N most of time, chaps did cut them away like the Swallow and then leather tied them The Brooks swallow that is on the blue Rotrax bike in the photo in the snow, I purchased new in Brum in the 1950s still ride it, very comfy, But on my Mercian that I rode now, I have a Brooks B17 standard for my fat old rear end.

Wendy my wife is a quilter and sower, her guild in the US has been sewing like crazy for this program! Three of our grand children who live in Franklin TN and also sewing for the cause.
Great cause...…...
Hi Richarddye , It is so wonderful to hear please let her know it is all very much appreciated by our wildlife all the crafters of the world have been so so generous , Australia has been overwhelmed with the out pouring of love for our wildlife . :)

Wendy

Maurice, I keep meaning to say that I went to Crete last year, stayed near Heraklion. It was very nice, loved Greece and would like to go back.

I would like to start looking at going to Greece again

Last edited by a moderator:
Kat,

Best avoid the extreme heat of summer (July & August) if you can, unless you're a beach person. Late May / early June and late September are good times to be here. If you don't hire a car, then you best staying in a travel hub such as Aghios Nikolaos that will enable you to see a bit more of the island, but still away from a big city like Heraklion. But it really does depend on what you want to do / see.

I have only been to Greece once. That was in May 1979 to Corfu. I remember being over there when we heard that Margaret Thatcher had just become Prime Minister. We always said we would go back to Greece but did not. Our most visited overseas holiday place is North Italy, especially the Italian Lakes. Fortunately we did not make a booking this year as I had a hernia operation early February (now fully recovered) so we decided to wait until that was over. . Dave.

Back