• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ex Pats and Brummies abroad

I see the request for help with speaking Ikean and as an expert in the language (it once took me six hours to build an office unit), I thought I could help . Firstly it is easier to look at individual words and once some of those are identified, the language will slowly evolve. Todays word is:
Billy. n. pronounced Billee - A set of bookshelves, it is a word that covers all sizes of bookshelf and very commonly seen in Ikealand.
Tomorrow's word is Hemnes.
Bob
I wonder where IKEA make their products - or are made for them? I ask this question given that English is widely spoken and understood language in Sweden. It therefore follows that instruction leaflets should be in plain understandable language.

I see the request for help with speaking Ikean and as an expert in the language (it once took me six hours to build an office unit), I thought I could help . Firstly it is easier to look at individual words and once some of those are identified, the language will slowly evolve. Todays word is:
Billy. n. pronounced Billee - A set of bookshelves, it is a word that covers all sizes of bookshelf and very commonly seen in Ikealand.
Tomorrow's word is Hemnes.
Bob
HEMNES Chest of 6 drawers - white - IKEA :grinning:

I wonder where IKEA make their products - or are made for them? I ask this question given that English is widely spoken and understood language in Sweden. It therefore follows that instruction leaflets should be in plain understandable language.
China

Bob

If you have not struggled with an Ikea instruction manual, you have not lived, the last time I built anything was about five years ago and the instruction leaflet was all diagrams and no explanatory text, added to which the reproduction of the leaflet was poor and partially indistinct.
Bob

I am glad I am not a man ....I hate doing puzzles :rolleyes:

I am so sorry I am totally off topic :confounded:

Last edited:
Well we have the first possible case of the coronavirus on Crete this afternoon. A guy come into Chania from Italy by plane and was later reported as a virus suspect. But then he disappeared and no one knows where he was heading. But the risk is sufficient for all large events and carnival stuff to be cancelled. We will know by 3:00pm tomorrow if we are cancelling all local foreign residents events, but I expect that that will be the case. So we're keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Maurice :cool:

Well we have the first possible case of the coronavirus on Crete this afternoon. A guy come into Chania from Italy by plane and was later reported as a virus suspect. But then he disappeared and no one knows where he was heading. But the risk is sufficient for all large events and carnival stuff to be cancelled. We will know by 3:00pm tomorrow if we are cancelling all local foreign residents events, but I expect that that will be the case. So we're keeping our fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Take care young Maurice self isolate and just talk to us, but seriously keep us posted
Bob

Bob,

Well we don't go far these days and haven't left the island since 2014, and we live in a rural village. So most things, bar old age, are in our favour! :)

We will just keep an eye on things and take whatever action we need to. We never let our stocks run low and most things can be obtained locally. But, of course, it could hit the tourist trade very badly if it goes on for more than a few weeks, and they're already reeling from the £66 million they are still owed from when Thos Cook went for the chop. I don't think they are likely to see much of that. Stay safe.

Hi Maurice, sorry to hear that, try to stayaway from crowded places. We have also got I think 15 cases here in Australia. Sounds like authorities are right on top of it over there cancelling social events etc. They have stopped travel from China to Australia for about 3 weeks now and it has been extended another week, trouble is there are more cases in different countries now, Italy is supposed to be bad. People here have started panic buying here !!! Panadol, hand sanitiser, toilet rolls and pantry items to last 2/3 weeks some of the supermarket shelves are empty:rolleyes:
I keep my fingers crossed for Crete too, hope its good news by 3pm , hope they find the guy and isolate him, how on earth did he just suddenly disappear ? Please let us know how things go.

Wendy

Bob,

Well we don't go far these days and haven't left the island since 2014, and we live in a rural village. So most things, bar old age, are in our favour! :)

We will just keep an eye on things and take whatever action we need to. We never let our stocks run low and most things can be obtained locally. But, of course, it could hit the tourist trade very badly if it goes on for more than a few weeks, and they're already reeling from the £66 million they are still owed from when Thos Cook went for the chop. I don't think they are likely to see much of that. Stay safe.

It won't last long Maurice things never do from that place.
Age is not on our side I'm afraid and the older we get we have a difficult time with things that make us ill

Hi Wendy,

Well I've had a cough on and off ever since I had 'flu in November 2018. I was in hospital in January 2019 having caught salmonella from a friend who I was visiting there! During my 9 days in hospital, my cough returned and they became very concerned about it, giving me powerful anibiotics intravenously. But quite honestly they didn't make a blind bit of difference. After the salmonella showed clear and I was sent home, it took about three months for the cough to finally clear. But it periodically returns in a mild form, as it has done during the last 24 hours.

The problem with many viruses is that they can remain in the body, in some cases throughout your life, and most of the time the immune system keeps them in check, the Epstein-Barr (herpes) virus, for example, which thankfully I don't have. Periodically the virus will overwhelm the immune system and the symptoms will flare up until the immune system gets the better of it. I'm not a medical man, least of all a virologist, so I've no idea whether the coronavirus has the ability to stay within the body for a lengthy period of time.

What is interesting is the increasing number of cases showing up on news reports today where there is no obvious source of infection - I think there were four cases in California of that type. Given that a bat seems to be the original source, and bats frequent most countries including this one, but don't normally attack humans, are they in any way responsible for spreading it? But I will stop at this point as it is pure hypothesis and we'll just have to wait and see if more evidence becomes available. So far all is quiet about the local Crete infection, but I'm not going anywhere for the next couple of days anyway.

Bob,

I like your observation - let's hope it's true in this case! :)

John,

I thought lots of Americans were preppers with underground shelters with massive ventilation systems and air filters! :) :)

Hi Wendy,

Well I've had a cough on and off ever since I had 'flu in November 2018. I was in hospital in January 2019 having caught salmonella from a friend who I was visiting there! During my 9 days in hospital, my cough returned and they became very concerned about it, giving me powerful anibiotics intravenously. But quite honestly they didn't make a blind bit of difference. After the salmonella showed clear and I was sent home, it took about three months for the cough to finally clear. But it periodically returns in a mild form, as it has done during the last 24 hours.

The problem with many viruses is that they can remain in the body, in some cases throughout your life, and most of the time the immune system keeps them in check, the Epstein-Barr (herpes) virus, for example, which thankfully I don't have. Periodically the virus will overwhelm the immune system and the symptoms will flare up until the immune system gets the better of it. I'm not a medical man, least of all a virologist, so I've no idea whether the coronavirus has the ability to stay within the body for a lengthy period of time.

What is interesting is the increasing number of cases showing up on news reports today where there is no obvious source of infection - I think there were four cases in California of that type. Given that a bat seems to be the original source, and bats frequent most countries including this one, but don't normally attack humans, are they in any way responsible for spreading it? But I will stop at this point as it is pure hypothesis and we'll just have to wait and see if more evidence becomes available. So far all is quiet about the local Crete infection, but I'm not going anywhere for the next couple of days anyway.

Bob,

I like your observation - let's hope it's true in this case! :)

John,

I thought lots of Americans were preppers with underground shelters with massive ventilation systems and air filters! :) :)

Maurice that is really strange you said there are cases that have come up that have no obvious connection there has been one here reported today the person has not travelled and not been around anyone infected as far as they can tell !! Virus are so difficult to treat as they mutate too :confused: Look after yourself Maurice and lets hope this coronavirus wears itself out!!!

Wendy

Back