• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

Ex Pats and Brummies abroad

Most of you ex pats probably would not recognise a British pub now, the few that still survive, if they have not become a gastropub serving pricey high end food, they are now empty desolate places lacking atmosphere.

Bob
I left the UK in 1966...emigrated to Canada. As a regular visitor to the UK for the past 50+years, I have seen the decline of pub life and in general, social pub gathering. The UK, has adopted a more US style of bar, along with all the other US traits. I did miss the beer for many years, but not the case any more, as you can get virtually any beer anywhere these days. Nostalgia is normal and the old days will always be special and real in our hearts.
Dave A

I left the UK in 1966...emigrated to Canada. As a regular visitor to the UK for the past 50+years, I have seen the decline of pub life and in general, social pub gathering. The UK, has adopted a more US style of bar, along with all the other US traits. I did miss the beer for many years, but not the case any more, as you can get virtually any beer anywhere these days. Nostalgia is normal and the old days will always be special and real in our hearts.
Dave A

Also a decline in social clubs.

Also a decline in social clubs.
Dave A
Dave A...……..I think you nailed it!

I do admit that I like the Micro Brews in the US Good beers and not priced too high. DenverColorado USA has many all good
We have the same situation in TN. A few years ago the law was changed on distilleries and are seeing good growth there along side of Jack Daniels & George Dickle. Additionally where I live in the Nashville/Franklin there has been an explosion of very good craft beers.
Early next month we will be back in the UK and looking forward to doing some comparison testing :cool:

Thanks for the report, they even have decent fish, COD (frozen off course) and chips, but I always go for the Top sirloin steak 10oz medium rare, with Mushrooms, Baked (Jacket) spud, veggies and of course a pint or two or three varies each visit the Brown ALE is decent, if Marcia is driving. We get discount coupons and with that, the check for two is usual under $40.00 Takes about 20 mins to drive to the one in Park Meadows near Denver Colorado (My Avatar pic was taken there!!!)

Attachments

• 14344793_862394070527297_6779789118440964952_n.jpg
    14344793_862394070527297_6779789118440964952_n.jpg
    10.5 KB · Views: 9
Thanks for the report, they even have decent fish, COD (frozen off course) and chips, but I always go for the Top sirloin steak 10oz medium rare, with Mushrooms, Baked (Jacket) spud, veggies and of course a pint or two or three varies each visit the Brown ALE is decent, if Marcia is driving. We get discount coupons and with that, the check for two is usual under $40.00 Takes about 20 mins to drive to the one in Park Meadows near Denver Colorado (My Avatar pic was taken there!!!)
Looks like a REAL pint!

As I spend a lot of time in the US, including more than 3 months in Georgia, I can tell you that we, in Ontario, Canada, can get many UK beers, unavailable down there. I drink English beer most of the time, but do indulge in local craft beers, which are excellent. Most pubs here have the 20oz imperial pint, unlike the US that has a 16oz pint. There is a pub close by that has a cask version of Hobgoblin, which I really enjoy...
Dave Ahttp://www.angel-inn.com/home.php

Hi, my family emigrated to Australia as Ten Pound Poms in 1972. We have been back a few times to visit the relatives. I was almost 6 years old when we left the UK. My dads' two sisters also emigrated (Oldest sister went to Canada and then moved to Australia) and middle sister emigrated to Australia 3 years after us. I ended up marrying a Pom (he emigrated at the age of 21 in 1988). I still have a strong pull to the UK but consider myself very Australian. My parents are now 83 (dad) and 77 (mum) and very rarely talk about the UK. They made a point of assimilating into Australia and although have been back to the UK for family commitments, are happy and settled in OZ.

My niece went out with my brother in 1970, she married an Australian, he too was an ex-pat ….. indirectly, he found that one of his ancestors went out on the SS Great Britain, (not as a criminal:) ) they visited the ship in Bristol the last time they came over.

They're here now for another visit, first Scotland then working their way down to me and on to Cornwall, came via M6 and down the west coast through Blackpool and are now in Aberystwyth for a couple of days.

Their home is in Brisbane

I live in Co Mayo on the Atlantic coast of Ireland having retired here in 2017. Beautiful place with very friendly people who happily accept all outsiders. But you have to make an effort to mix, or you will be left alone as privacy is very much respected here. Weather can take a bit getting used to if you don't know the place as there can be all seasons in one day.

There are a lot of 'English' people in the West of Ireland, many with Manchester accents for some reason. However, when you get to know them there is often some connection to Ireland, such as parents or grandparents having come from here. In my case, my parents both originated here and went to Birmingham in the 1950s. There are also a lot of fully English people who come for the 'good life', buying an old cottage and keeping chickens and so on. We have a fairly large house so are much in demand from relatives looking to visit from the UK. Two thing I miss from England: Real Ale (Only Guinness, keg beer and lager available here, although the pubs are very friendly places) and decent Fish & Chips!

Last edited:
I live in Co Mayo on the Atlantic coast of Ireland having retired here in 2017. Beautiful place with very friendly people who happily accept all outsiders. But you have to make an effort to effort mix, or you will be left alone as privacy is very much respected here. Weather can take a bit getting used to if you don't know the place as there can be all seasons in one day.

There are a lot of 'English' people in the West of Ireland, many with Manchester accents for some reason. However, when you get to know them there is often some connection to Ireland, such as parents or grandparents having come from here. In my case, my parents both originated here and went to Birmingham in the 1950s. There are also a lot of fully English people who come for the 'good life', buying an old cottage and keeping chickens and so on. We have a fairly large house so are much in demand from relatives looking to visit from the UK. Two thing I miss from England: Real Ale (Only Guinness, keg beer and lager available here, although the pubs are very friendly places) and decent Fish & Chips!
You do know you are preaching to the choir .
I am running a hostel in FL for Brumie's.

My parents came to Australia in 1958 as ten pound poms. They made a life here. Mum is 87 but dad passed away in 2003. Mum lived in Holte Road Aston, Dad from Dudley. Dad fought in the Korean War and served with the Royal Navy when in England. Mum had four sisters, one died of polio in the early 1950s. One ran away to Wales and had six children with a man there. Mum never saw her again but we have found her children. through Ancestry.com Mum still reminisces about the war years when she was a child and when it was bombed. I have one brother (married with no children). I married a man whose parents are Hungarian and we have one child. I've never been to the UK but unfortunately would find it very different to how mum describes it from her time there.

In my 89 years I have travelled the world (partly due to my 8 years in the RAF) enjoyed travelling but was always glad to come home, there are only 2 places I would retire to, Malta (which I holiday at twice a year and lived there 18 months) and south of France but too old now. Eric

Hi Sue,

And welcome to the Forum. I'm an 82 year old ex-pat who has lived on the island of Crete for the last 15 years, but did actually leave Brum in 1961 to move south to Dorset. I didn't return to see the City Centre again until around 1990 and found everything very very different. To be honest, not a lot remains of the old streets & buildings that I remember from my teenage years, and now it is all being ripped up again to install skyscrapers and trams that look more like trains.

But please use the Search Engine (top right) to research old Brum and see lots of photographs of both old and new. Just shout if you need help as there are lots of members here willing to provide it.

Maurice :cool:

My parents came to Australia in 1958 as ten pound poms. They made a life here. Mum is 87 but dad passed away in 2003. Mum lived in Holte Road Aston, Dad from Dudley. Dad fought in the Korean War and served with the Royal Navy when in England. Mum had four sisters, one died of polio in the early 1950s. One ran away to Wales and had six children with a man there. Mum never saw her again but we have found her children. through Ancestry.com Mum still reminisces about the war years when she was a child and when it was bombed. I have one brother (married with no children). I married a man whose parents are Hungarian and we have one child. I've never been to the UK but unfortunately would find it very different to how mum describes it from her time there.
Hi Sue thanks to many there are lots of pictures that both you and your mom can look at together, many will take Mom back to Aston and the Holte bring back memories that she will share with you.

I worked with a Aussie back in the 80's he use to kid me about the 10 pound tourists to Australia
He also said the term POME stood for "Prisoner of Mother England"

Now having said that I have come across and meet so many English abroad it's a wonder there are still people living on that island

Let me say this that island has produced some real clever and talented people

I have had the pleasure of working with people that learnt a skill in England that has taken them around the world.

For example I worked with a guy from up North who served a apprenticeship with Shell as a machinist and ended up working on nuclear stuff here in the US.

I have called him at 2 am for help he has gotten out of bed and came to work and when he fired up that lathe he was a magician, he had and has that English can do and will do attitude.

They may be called ex oats but believe me they are English and proud of lt.

Just like most people on this forum are proud to be from Birmingham so am I, the Lickey', Cadbury"s New Street and all the rest

Birmingham gave me a skill and a sense of humor along with the confidence to flex my wings.

What prompted this post a daughter checked in her mum left Aston 60 years ago seeking a better life but even now she talks of her life back in the UK, Aston never left her and we understand why.

Glad to be a "POME"

I worked with a Aussie back in the 80's he use to kid me about the 10 pound tourists to Australia

Now having said that I have come across and meet so many English abroad it's a wonder there are still people living on that island

I have had the pleasure of working with people that learnt a skill in England that has taken them around the world.

For example I worked with a guy from up North who served a apprenticeship with Shell as a machinist and ended up working on nuclear stuff here in the US.

I have called him at 2 am for help he has gotten out of bed and came to work and when he fired up that lathe he was a magician, he had and has that English can do and will do attitude.

Just like most people on this forum are proud to be from Birmingham so am I, the Lickey', Cadbury"s New Street and all the rest

Birmingham gave me a skill and a sense of humor along with the confidence to flex my wings.

What prompted this post a daughter checked in her mum left Aston 60 years ago seeking a better life but even now she talks of her life back in the UK, Aston never left her and we understand why.

Glad to be a "POME"
Did you say that you were in FL? where...?
Dave A

Glad to be a "POME"
Exactly to Bobs point...……….I was a technical apprentice machine design working for Brooke Tool Automation. 4 years working in the factory and then into the office for another year. when I came to the US I went to University and got a couple of degrees but all the way though my career it was that apprenticeship that carried me through!

I'm just down the road a little ;) in the Forest of Dean, my brother emigrated to Australia in 1970 with is wife and six children, they've repopulated Brisbane, I've lost count of how many in the extended family but more than sixty at the last count.
My daughter is in Pasadena Maryland, she wouldn't remember Brum as she was only seven when we moved down here.

I haven't been up there since my mother died about ten years ago, even then it was changing beyond recognition.
Hi In the distant past I worked for finance company in Blakeley. My fellow rep was the licencee of The Bridge Inn Cinderford, name of George Price and I live in Oz.Cheers Tim

Alan,

Thank you, but we're fine and didn't feel a thing. The epicentre of the earthquake was 43 miles deep in the sea midway between the most furtherly western point of Crete and the Polyponese mainland of Greece. As you've probably seen, it was of strength 6.0. We are in the village of Limnes about 15 minutes drive from the north eastern coast town of Aghios Nikolaos so roughly 120 miles from the epicentre. The island is around 150 miles long and the map below explains it a bit better.
crete-map3b.jpg
The last time a Cretan earthquake killed anyone was in 1857. Yes, we do get tremors at least once a year and they tend to put cracks in the crazy paving drive. Neighbourhood dogs bark a few seconds beforehand - I presume they feel if before we do.
The old part of the house is stone with 19 inch thick walls, and has stood for 200 years without problems. The newer extension, which contains our bedrooms, contains almost as much steel reinforcement as it does concrete, so we should be OK. We're several miles inland and 800 feet above sea level so should also be safe from flooding.

Once again, many thanks for your thoughts,

EDIT: Yes, Alan, but I am not a good typist!

Last edited:
Alan,

Thank you, but we're fine and didn't feel a thing. The epicentre of the earthquake was 43 miles deep in the sea midway between the most furtherly western point of Crete and the Polyponese mainland of Greece. As you've probably seen, it was of strength 6.0. We are in the village of Limnes about 15 minutes drive from the north eastern coast town of Aghios Nikolaos so roughly 120 miles from the epicentre. The island is around 150 miles long and the map below explains it a bit better.
View attachment 139586
The last time a Cretan earthquake killed anyone was in 1857. Yes, we do get tremors at least once a year and they tend to put cracks in the crazy paving drive. Neighbourhood dogs bark a few seconds beforehand - I presume they feel if before we do.
The old part of the house is stone with 19 inch thick walls, and has stood for 200 years without problems. The newer extension, which contains our bedrooms, contains almost as much steel reinforcement as it does concrete, so we should be OK. We're several miles inland and 800 feet above sea level so should also be safe from flooding.

Once again, many thanks for your thoughts,

EDIT: Yes, Alan, but I am not a good typist!
For some reason the expression 'did the earth move for you last night?' comes to mind. Glad you are OK

Bob

Back