• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Ex Pats and Brummies abroad

hi folks...thread is now open again after the removal of off topic posts..some posts have also been edited...could members please refrain from starting a thread about the recent coronavirus outbreak...we all know what we need to do to try and contain and protect. so lets try and keep our forum as a little distraction from all the hype ...speculation and confusion we are seeing and reading in the news which may be causing extra worry to our members....stay well everyone

many thanks...from the team

Last edited:
Just to make sure we were awake, we had a series of earthquakes this morning at 9:14am local time - 6.0 and 8.3 km deep and rough;y 30 miles from where we live. Four aftershocks so far, one of 4.3 at 7 km deep. Certainly the most vibrant, for want of a better word, since we have lived here. No damage here, but will be a while before damage reports closer to the eipcentre are available. Meanwhile, life goes on as normal. Oh it spilt coffee all over my desk, but missed the keyboard! :)

Maurice :cool:

Just to make sure we were awake, we had a series of earthquakes this morning at 9:14am local time - 6.0 and 8.3 km deep and rough;y 30 miles from where we live. Four aftershocks so far, one of 4.3 at 7 km deep. Certainly the most vibrant, for want of a better word, since we have lived here. No damage here, but will be a while before damage reports closer to the eipcentre are available. Meanwhile, life goes on as normal. Oh it spilt coffee all over my desk, but missed the keyboard! :)

We are in Victoria too Maurice. We live in Melbourne and felt it too. Never felt anything like that before. Really scary though.

Pleased that you are alright. Just hope that others nearer the epicentre are.
Carolann

Hi Maurice, So glad to hear you are ok except for a spilt coffee and no damage. You had one about the same time of day we had ours in Victoria Australia last week, as I told you it was a 5.9 on the scale and it really rocked our house, I firstly thought there was something wrong with me :joy: till the door started really banging and the walls were moving! All good though, no damage here. It was the weidest feeling!

Wendy:)

Welcome to the Forum, Sue. Thank you, Carolann.

Sadly we have reports that one person was killed when a church dome collapsed onto them in Arkolochori at the epicentre. That person would be the first to die from an earthquake in Crete since 1858 according to my information. Although Turkey put out a tsunami warning after that earthquake, I can't see that materialising as the epicentre is more or less in the centre of the island and Heraklion only 14 km away to the north only felt slight tremors.

Many of these old churches are not very well built and a dome would be the most vulnerable part I would imagine.

Wendy, you have a new "local" member with Sue. Stay safe everyone.

Hello Maurice.
Glad you are not seriously affected by the earthquake.
I am pleased, also, that you are getting your strength back, It has been a very hot summer for some.

Welcome to the Forum, Sue. Thank you, Carolann.

Sadly we have reports that one person was killed when a church dome collapsed onto them in Arkolochori at the epicentre. That person would be the first to die from an earthquake in Crete since 1858 according to my information. Although Turkey put out a tsunami warning after that earthquake, I can't see that materialising as the epicentre is more or less in the centre of the island and Heraklion only 14 km away to the north only felt slight tremors.

Many of these old churches are not very well built and a dome would be the most vulnerable part I would imagine.

Wendy, you have a new "local" member with Sue. Stay safe everyone.

hi maurice i heard on the news it was a serious quake i know someone who is on holiday in crete for 6 weeks...please take care of yourselves and keep us updated when you are able..

lyn x

Thank you , Wendy. For those that are interested, the map below shows the battering that the Arkalochori region has taken over the last two days as at 11:00am this morning. The list to the right is only partial (about 24 hours) as I removed the scroll bar since it won't function in a screenshot, and it doesn't show the big one.

Earthquakes at 11.00 30.9.jpg

So pleased you are safe too. My ex Pat cousin from Northfield now Victoria, didn't feel a thing, another cousin said her picture are all crooked on the wall

Here we go again! I was standing in our parking area half an hour or so ago when this one struck. Instead of upsetting my coffee this time, it slopped a load of water out of the rainwater barrel over the yard. Because it was so shallow it was really shaking & went on for two minutes. Too early for any damage reports yet. Here's the details.

Earthquake 12102021.jpg

Here we go again! I was standing in our parking area half an hour or so ago when this one struck. Instead of upsetting my coffee this time, it slopped a load of water out of the rainwater barrel over the yard. Because it was so shallow it was really shaking & went on for two minutes. Too early for any damage reports yet. Here's the details.

View attachment 162388
My goodness Maurice, that is REALLY shallow! That is not good at all. Take care of yourself and family, I fear more to come!

Richard,

According to Cretan news sources, there are no reports of injuries, but there are some reports of damage to buildings, but so far no details. Not a lot goes on in that south east corner and the vast majority of tourists have now gone home. There are some ruins of the Minoan Palace of Zakros, which attracts a few tourists, but the weather has broken - we had a thunderstorm yesterday - and I would not image there were many people about. Thanks for your thoughts.

hi maurice i know of someone who is in crete for another 3 weeks of a 6 week trip...do not know which part though...you and jan take care of yourselves

lyn

Back