• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eversley Road, Small Heath, Early 1960s.

Hi Steve, thanks for your post, next time you see Doug please give him my best wishes.
Jim Pritchard.
Hi Jim
Sadly Doug passed away 8th March 2016, after suffering from Prostate cancer. but i will pass on this message to my sister when she is back home

I went to Wyndcliffe School from 1965 to 1972 as I lived in Little Green Lane. The head teacher in Infants was Mrs King and Mr Collis in Juniors.
We had a wonderful teacher in Juniors called Mr Fairbrother. We even went to his house for tea sometimes. He lived in Kings Norton and we thought it was very posh!

Hi Debbie I was just looking at this site and see u lived in eversley rd I'm looking up my ancestors And I know they had a shop on that rd Name King Could u give me any information On them and would u now if the shop belonged to Kings befor them I had herd Charles King had a veg shop any info would b wounderfull regards Marquita

Hello there ! We lived at 72 Eversley Road. Next door to us at number 70 was the Shop. It was run by a Mr Tom King. I was told he never married. He lived above the shop alone until his death. We lived there from 1960 till 1966. He was still alive when we left there. Good luck with your search. x

Hello there ! We lived at 72 Eversley Road. Next door to us at number 70 was the Shop. It was run by a Mr Tom King. I was told he never married. He lived above the shop alone until his death. We lived there from 1960 till 1966. He was still alive when we left there. Good luck with your search. x
hi debbie we used to live at 4/72 eversley rd and remember tom king a lovely man used to let me have my ciggies on the strap till i got paid on friday.my mom and dad lived at 4/69 over the rd tom died due to the cold i dont think he could afford heating.

hi debbie we used to live at 4/72 eversley rd and remember tom king a lovely man used to let me have my ciggies on the strap till i got paid on friday.my mom and dad lived at 4/69 over the rd tom died due to the cold i dont think he could afford heating.
Hello, i remember the houses at the back. I know of the Russell family and the Burke Family. :)

we are the Burke family and the Russell family lived a few doors away from you the ledbrooks lived opposit you.
Yes i remember Gary Burke and a younger brother, Alan i think ? Moms name was Phyliss ? Yes the Ledbrookes lived opposite us. Wally Ledbrook lived with his mom if i remember right. Which of the Burke family are you ?

Yes i remember Gary Burke and a younger brother, Alan i think ? Moms name was Phyliss ? Yes the Ledbrookes lived opposite us. Wally Ledbrook lived with his mom if i remember right. Which of the Burke family are you ?
hi Debbie i am george who was married to Phyllis we had 3 boys Gary Alan and Mark.sadley Phyllis passed away in 2009 and now on 1st March just gone Gary also died age 63 his funeral is on tue 6 april. Alan is married to Sarah and they have 1 son James. Mark still lives with me and we live in Solihull.Alan lives in Hall Green.its so nice to know that you still remember us from all those years ago and i thank you for that bless you Debbie.

hi Debbie i am george who was married to Phyllis we had 3 boys Gary Alan and Mark.sadley Phyllis passed away in 2009 and now on 1st March just gone Gary also died age 63 his funeral is on tue 6 april. Alan is married to Sarah and they have 1 son James. Mark still lives with me and we live in Solihull.Alan lives in Hall Green.its so nice to know that you still remember us from all those years ago and i thank you for that bless you Debbie.
Oh no im so sorry to hear about Phyliss :) I remember her having lovely black hair. Gary oh no , im 64 this year , i remember him calling for me, he used to bang the door and look through the letterbox at us !! I used to laugh but my mom wernt too happy lol.... do you remember us, ? my Mom Sheila and dad was Ray .... we left Eversley road and moved up to Druids heath near to the maypole when they moved us all out. We did not stay there long though, we then moved to Yardley wood. It all seems so long ago now. Happy Days x

Oh no im so sorry to hear about Phyliss :) I remember her having lovely black hair. Gary oh no , im 64 this year , i remember him calling for me, he used to bang the door and look through the letterbox at us !! I used to laugh but my mom wernt too happy lol.... do you remember us, ? my Mom Sheila and dad was Ray .... we left Eversley road and moved up to Druids heath near to the maypole when they moved us all out. We did not stay there long though, we then moved to Yardley wood. It all seems so long ago now. Happy Days x
realy sorry dont remember them but i am sure we where all very happy with each other there where never any fall outs and all the children could play out in the street and have fun not like today we did not have much and the toilet was in the yard and i had to go to green lane baths for a bath and yes i do agree happy days indeed.xx

realy sorry dont remember them but i am sure we where all very happy with each other there where never any fall outs and all the children could play out in the street and have fun not like today we did not have much and the toilet was in the yard and i had to go to green lane baths for a bath and yes i do agree happy days indeed.xx
Yes times are very different now George. It was good to see your reply and im really sorry for your loss. I know that pain too. You take care now, best wishes to you and your family always. debbie, x

Would the Coventry road be going off to the left or the right of the cafe ?
I think i know why i don't reconise it.. we lived in the top half of Eversley road. I didnt know it had 2 halfs :eek:
That map is very interesting, im trying to get my bearings on there, to see where my school was... wyndcliffe infant and juniors, can you help ?
Hi guys I was born in house 154 Green.lane which was the corner house on Eversley road I think the pink mark is my home we lived there 1966 upto 1977 we were the Hussain family. The house I believe later on was knocked down I had fond memories does anyone have photos

I went to Wyndcliffe School from 1965 to 1972 as I lived in Little Green Lane. The head teacher in Infants was Mrs King and Mr Collis in Juniors.
We had a wonderful teacher in Juniors called Mr Fairbrother. We even went to his house for tea sometimes. He lived in Kings Norton and we thought it was very posh!
Yes I remember Miss king and junior mr collins also mr fairbrother mr Perkin, miss burns who became Mrs Denvor. Does anyone remember mr Tirrel who took so many photos and was doing research on.school life or something

Hello I just realised the Pink house on the map is not my home. Mine is opposite on the right handside it had a little wall corner house number 154 Green lane corner of Eversley road.

Yes I remember Miss king and junior mr collins also mr fairbrother mr Perkin, miss burns who became Mrs Denvor. Does anyone remember mr Tirrel who took so many photos and was doing research on.school life or something
What years were you at Wyncliffe? I can’t recall those other teachers you mention. Were you at the old or the new school?

Wyndcliffe School in 1972, from the book Small Heath & Sparkbrook by Margaret D. Green

View attachment 183808
Thank you for that Rob. While I was in my last year there, a new school was being built further up Little Green Lane.
I believe the tower on the original school had been damaged in the War. With it being in the vicinity of the BSA that would make sense.
When I was there the remaining part of the tower was used to store fancy dress clothes etc. It always fascinated me! I loved that school!

Lynn.

What years were you at Wyncliffe? I can’t recall those other teachers you mention. Were you at the old or the new school?
I was at infant Wyndcliffe School in 1970 and moved to Junior Wyndcliffe School which was a new school on Little green Lane in 1972/3 and left in 1977. I remember Mrs King at my Infant school. And my class teacher mrs Anthony and mrs Anderson. In my Junior school I remember Mrs Smith , Mr Lowmax (not sure about the spelling) Mr fairbrother. Mr Collins or Collis the headmaster. Mrs Burns was Scottish athletic type she married Mr Denvor who had two twin sons they also went to the same school. I remember some students names but lost touch. There was a girl called Katrina only child lived on Wyndcliffe rd, There was a family mother French and dad English they were the Caraven family twin girls Christina and i think Catherine. Mr Tyrell or Tirrel was a School researcher and was doing his research project he took many photos of children doing various activities and did his literature on the children. He was based at our school for many months.

Back