• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Eversley Road, Small Heath, Early 1960s.

Debbie 1

proper brummie kid
Hello everyone,
Does anyone have or know of any pics that are available of Eversley Road, late 50's to mid 60s ? We lived at number 72, next to Mr Kings shop and i have searched around on here and on Facebook groups of old pics but cant find any ?? Would love to see the street back in the day.
Or any old info on the street i would love to read about.
Hope someone can help.
thank you .

Hi Debbie

Had a good look through my photos and all I can come up with is this photo of the café on the corner of Green Lane and Eversley Road that looks to be sometime in the 60's.

Attachments

• Green Lane - Eversley St.jpg
    Green Lane - Eversley St.jpg
    189.9 KB · Views: 89
Hi Debbie

Had a good look through my photos and all I can come up with is this photo of the café on the corner of Green Lane and Eversley Road that looks to be sometime in the 60's.

Hello phil, thanks for reply :)
I have actually seen that pic before but i don't remember a cafe at all on the corner of Eversley Road.
I did question this before on a FB group page, and someone suggested this cafe was on the corner of Little Eversley Road ?
I do thank you for putting the pic up.
If anyone else can throw any light on it i would be grateful.
regards to you. :)

The 1950s Kellys lists HarryFavell , cafe at 133 Green lane on the corner with Eversley Rd

Right ok... if this is correct, im just wondering what corner it was on ? Can anyone remember ? If that is Green lane to the right of the pic, which way is it running ? To the Coventry road or the other way ?
thanks for replying... im sure i will get to the bottom of it eventually :eek:

Also, what is puzzling me is that the houses on Eversley road all had little walls around the front of them, tiny gardens sort of.
The houses shown on the pic come straight onto the road ?? :eek:

Debbie

Looking at the OS maps it certainly looks like the houses on the part of Eversley Road that ran down to Little Green Lane had little front gardens, but the part of the road on the other side of Green Lane with the café on the corner that ran down to Grange Road didn't.

Ahhh i see . That "other" side of Eversley road.. was that little Eversley road ?
thanks for your time in responding to me :)

I found this picture , which is basically the same as Phil's but with a bit more information.. I had a friend who lived in Eversley road, his name was Duggie Blackham...

Attachments

• GREEN LANE 2.jpg
    GREEN LANE 2.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 62
I found this picture , which is basically the same as Phil's but with a bit more information.. I had a friend who lived in Eversley road, his name was Duggie Blackham...

hello.. i cant for the life of me place this cafe in my mind :eek: ..on the corner of the Eversley Road that i remember, I just cant picture on what corner it was on ?? :eek:
If anyone can throw any more light on it i would be so grateful.
Thank you for you all for trying to help :)
I dont recall a Duggie Blackham, i lived there from around 1960 to 65/66.
The only names from that road i recall are Malin, Ledbrook and Hussey. And of course old Mr King whose shop was on the other side of the entry to us.
Thanks again for your interest in trying to help me x

Below is a map c 1938 showing what the directory states is 133 Green Lane in red. Peculiarly the c 1955 OS map, which has numbers on it (occasionally not correct) gives slightly different numbering, though it does not show the cafe 133 on a corner, and so must be incorrect
So could i be right that "that cafe" is not on the corner of the Eversley road ? :eek:
lol.... somebodyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy :eek:
thanks for reply :)

Mike

You are on the wrong side of Green Lane as well, you have marked 150 and not 133. Though looking at the photo and comparing it to the map I'm not sure if it was taken from Green Lane or Eversley Road. Though I would say that the milk float is in Eversley Road which comparing the photo to the 1950 map would put the café on the other corner at 135, what do you think Mike?

Attachments

• green lane.JPG
    green lane.JPG
    248.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited by a moderator:
Debbie

I think there is little doubt that the café in question was on the corner of Eversley Road as according to the trade directories it was there from the 40's until it was demolished during which time it went through many changes of ownership.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so we have established that the cafe was on the corner of Eversley Road.... BUT which corner ?? lol...
the corner running up Green lane towards the Coventry road or the other one ? :eek: :)

Debbie
The number is marked (in very small print on Ph ils map, but I have coloured it pink to emphasise it

map 1965 showing 133 Green lane.jpg

Debbie
The number is marked (in very small print on Ph ils map, but I have coloured it pink to emphasise it

View attachment 110720
Would the Coventry road be going off to the left or the right of the cafe ?
I think i know why i don't reconise it.. we lived in the top half of Eversley road. I didnt know it had 2 halfs :eek:
That map is very interesting, im trying to get my bearings on there, to see where my school was... wyndcliffe infant and juniors, can you help ?

map c1951 showing 133 Green Lane in red and Wyndcliff infants school in blue.jpg Debbie
I had not realised it carried on over Green lane either, though I should have done. That was why I made the mistake with my original map. Here is a map c1951 showing a larger area, with Wyndcliff infants (I assume that that one nearest the road is the infants as kellys implies that) in blue, and 133 Geeen lane in red

yes yes.. i can see the school and that now gives me my bearings !

The cafe would of been at the bottom of my road, across the road and on the right hand corner.
So.... walking down my road i would see the cafe over the road on the corner. Turn the corner to the right (dont cross the road ) and Keeping the cafe on your left , you would walk up Green lane to The Coventry road.
lol i think ive got it ! :eek: :eek:

Thank you so much for the maps !!

Now all i need is pics of Eversley road ! (dare i ask ) lol
thanking you all xx

Hi Steve, thanks for your post, next time you see Doug please give him my best wishes.
Jim Pritchard.

Back