• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Events at Embassy Sportsdrome, Walford Rd.

fair play to that man i cant dance on two. i went skating there.and that song telsar still reminds me of the place when i ear it. lol
Billy Two Rivers wrestling at the Sportsdrome

Viv

One of my childhood memories of The Embassy Sportsdrome centred around Alf Kent who lived near us in Muntz Street in Small Heath and was an ex professional wrestler. He was a referee on T.V. in the 1960’s and also trained actor Pat Roach to become a wrestler. Alf got my brother and me some tickets to see a star turn, ‘Billy Two Rivers’ at the Embassy Sportsdrome.

Billy was a Native American Mohawk who wore a full-length feathered head-dress for his entrance. You can see the actual bout here (above #9 ) of Billy Two Rivers wrestling at the Embassy Sportsdrome Walford Road, Sparkhill, Birmingham in 1963

At one stage, one of the wrestlers was thrown out of the ring, and ‘coincidently’ landed on Alf’s lap. He always denied our accusations that the fights were rehearsed, which of course they were! Afterwards, we were introduced to Billy, who incidentally, is the father of designer Wayne Hemmingway. He later returned to America and became an actor, film advisor and leader of the Mohawk nation on the Kahnawake reservation. He died in February this year (2023), aged 87

I remember the wrestling and boxing events being held there it was a walk up Oldknow Road cut through to the canal to the BSA , down the hill (Golden Hillock Rd) and left on to Waldorf Rd , I am sure it was used for roller skating ?? Or is my memory !!.

I remember the wrestling and boxing events being held there it was a walk up Oldknow Road cut through to the canal to the BSA , down the hill (Golden Hillock Rd) and left on to Waldorf Rd , I am sure it was used for roller skating ?? Or is my memory !!.
Nope, your memory is A-OK! It was indeed a roller rink...

Back