• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team

Evening in Corfu

cookie273uk

master brummie
Evening_in_Corfu.jpg
normal_Evening_in_Corfu.jpg
Early evening in the bustling town of Corfu Sep 2000. 20" x 16"

Last edited:
Robert, that particular painting sold 6 years ago at the RBSA Gallery (now in the jewelry quarter Brooke St) for £210 (the gallery takes 33%, then theres a hanging fee of £10 also framing costs) I was a member of the Bham Watercolour Society (BWS) at the time which adds value to a painting. Just checking my records the first painting i sold was at the RBSA Gallery in New St titled "Aston Cross" for £30 in Nov 1974, have no pictorial record so forgot what it looked like, I know the clock tower was the central feature. Eric

Last edited:
Someone got a bargain there, Eric!

Whilst we are on the subject of Greece and a Birmingham artist, perhaps I should give our local annual "Touch" Art Competition & Exhibition here in Crete a bit of a plug. Unfortunately you have to be a resident of Greece (foreign or Greek) to enter, but the quality of the art is very good. I last had anything to do with the organisation of it in 2007 and that year the Greek winner of the first prize produced a picture (not disimilar to Eric's) of Hydra in acrylics.

You may also be interested to hear that the winner of the sculpture section, Sylvia Leigh, lives locally to us and is originally from Birmingham.

You can view all the entries from past years here:-

https://www.touchfestival.gr/art_gallery_eng.html

If by any chance you're holidaying in Crete later, this year's Exhibition opens on 11 September and runs through until 25th. The exhibits will also be shown later in the year in Athens.

And before we leave the subject of prices, I'll just add that exhibits rarely sell for less than 250 euros and have sometimes been sold for as much as 2700 euros! Anyway, just to give you a taste, here's the Hydra picture and Sylvia's sculpture.

Maurice :cool:

Maurice, I painted a very similar scene to that one entitled Hydra, of a place called Parga in Greece whose streets also went up in tiers, quite a challenge but very picturesque, that was in May 2000 on a painting holiday. Eric

Hi Eric,

Like many villages in Greece (except ours!), it's more or less built on the side of a cliff, but plenty of contrasting colours and geometric patterns, so an ideal subject for art or photography. We have at least five foreign painters and four foreign sculptors (mostly British) living in the locality and many more on the island. We also have 9 or 10 art exhibitions a year in this area, so the place is not the cultural void that some might imagine! :D

Maurice :cool:

G G Jean, as you can see from post 7 I no longer have the painting. What I do is purchase a pack of Bockingford INKJET doublesided Watercolour Paper (A4 size 20 Sheets) from any Art Shop, although bought mine on line for £9.60 from www.artsupplies.co.uk , and print copies off, it looks exactly like an original painting only an expert could tell the difference, then get a cheap but suitable frame from your local Wikinsons - and there you are !!!!
Eric

Last edited:
Maurice, I have been on numerous painting holidays in France and the Med and one of my favourite places is Paxos, so unspoilt, at least it was when I last visited, a painters paradise. I have a small painting of a little Church in Paxos in the Album (page 1) on my profile Eric

Last edited:
Back