• Welcome to this forum . We are a worldwide group with a common interest in Birmingham and its history. While here, please follow a few simple rules. We ask that you respect other members, thank those who have helped you and please keep your contributions on-topic with the thread.

We do hope you enjoy your visit. BHF Admin Team
  • HI folks the server that hosts the site completely died including the Hdd's and backups.
    Luckily i create an offsite backup once a week! this has now been restored so we have lost a few days posts.
    im still fixing things at the moment so bear with me and im still working on all images 90% are fine the others im working on now
    we are now using a backup solution

evacuees to Badminton house

G

gillflower

my mom was evaquated from tindal street school in balsall heath. she was sent to badminton house (duke of beauforts estate). this was in 1939 a few days before war was declared. Is there anyone else who was evacuated there or knew someone who was. my mom was called dorothy moore then.

That was quite a place for your mom to be evacuated to. I only know that Queen Mary decided to stay there with all her staff throughout WW2 which caused some inconvenience to the Duke and Duchess - but as they used to say in those days 'don't you know there's a war on'. I was only 4 and wasn't evacuated so I saw all the bombing ....:)

Hi oldmohawk. good to hear from you. Badminton house was apparantly very grand to an 11 year old from inner city brum! Mom remembers going gardening with Queen Mary and having to pull all the ivy off the trees in the grounds. she was placed with Mr and mrs Burbidge who were something to do with keeping the hounds I think. she said that queen Mary was very nice and not stern faced as in all the pictures:)

Gosh what an experience - your Mom gardening with Queen Mary, its nice to hear first hand experiences about her. I think I read somewhere that when the queen visited country houses, and took a fancy to an ornament etc she would sometimes keep it, and the owners usually agreed even if they were not totally happy about it....:)

Back